Steve Bruce favourite for Newcastle job

Guest Arnold

1 minute ago, SiJ said:

Yes...

The whole thing is becoming increasingly Catch 22. 

Absolutely - and it needn't have been if we had agreed compensation before allowing Bruce to speak with them.

Now we have Russian roulette with both Chairmen under pressure.

Ashley wants Bruce desperately but wants to get him on the cheap and is hoping the pressure and uncertainty for Wednesday to get a committed manager on the eve of the season will slant the negotiation in his favor.

Chansiri wants to hold out for compensation but knows the clock is ticking and the longer it goes on, the more threat that it disrupts our season. He also knows that his and our relationship with Bruce is now damaged as I'm not sure it can be the same as it was. Do you feel the same about a guy who wants to be somewhere else and who therefore is not committed? We are now his mistress instead of his wife.

Who blinks first?

Just now, prowl said:

I think you are deluded. (no offence intended).

Bruce has had his head turned, he wants away and has made it clear. Ashley pays up or Bruce stays. DC then has to decide if he replaces Bruce and puts him on gardening leave until the end of his contract or leaves him in charge. I suspect it will be gardening leave, the trust has gone now.

That’s a lose lose situation. No point 

DC has just told Bruce he can talk to Ashley, but can’t go anywhere until they pay up. Quite a clever negotiating technique. 

Bit like selling a house. You don’t agree a price before someone looks round. You put the coffee on, kick the kids out. Sell the dream, then show them the ticket. 

Just now, owls79 said:

Absolutely furious with Bruce’s comments regarding waiting for clubs to come to a compromise. He has to go now.

Agree why should we compromise he's got a bloody cheek if you ask me 

i'd sack him as soon as we get another team lined up   whilst it is a lot of money  i'm sure that isn't the real issue for DC 

one for the accountants: will compo go in as income ? into one year or spread over the life of said contract the compo is for?

2 minutes ago, sweetsheri said:

That’s a lose lose situation. No point 

It's the principled stance which has DC all over it. He will cut off his nose to spite his face and in this instance I would be fully behind him

16 minutes ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

Thing is, I think Bruce genuinely still wants to be here.

Had it been anyone but newcastle he wouldn't have been interested

But it is Newcastle. So where does that leave us? Not great for the clubs prospects next season if the manager doesn't want to fully be here. 

Just now, steelowl said:

Agree why should we compromise he's got a bloody cheek if you ask me 

i'd sack him as soon as we get another team lined up   whilst it is a lot of money  i'm sure that isn't the real issue for DC 

one for the accountants: will compo go in as income ? into one year or spread over the life of said contract the compo is for?

It would be income in the current year. Same thing if you sell a player at a profit.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, prowl said:

It's the principled stance which has DC all over it. He will cut off his nose to spite his face and in this instance I would be fully behind him

Normally I would agree, but we’ve just sold the ground to get round FFP. We aren’t coming at this from a position of financial strength. 

The whole thing leaves a bitter taste in the mouth.

I appreciate it is Newcastle in the Prem, but I cant help but feel Bruce and co are taking the pi55.

Idea this came out of the blue is laughable. This has been on the cards for a few weeks and it is only in the last few days it's been leaked to the media in order to put pressure on us to cave into Bruce and Ashley's demands. 

9 minutes ago, prowl said:

I think you are deluded. (no offence intended).

Bruce has had his head turned, he wants away and has made it clear. Ashley pays up or Bruce stays. DC then has to decide if he replaces Bruce and puts him on gardening leave until the end of his contract or leaves him in charge. I suspect it will be gardening leave, the trust has gone now.

If we reject the approach, he'll stay and be our manager. 

Anyone but Newcastle and he wouldn't have blinked. Simple as.

His words in the interview to me read that hes interested but is happy to let the chairman's decide his fate.

15 minutes ago, The Night-Owl said:

Once Bruce is gone I'd steer clear of managers near the end of their career, steer clear of greedy mercenaries and steer clear of obscure managers with no EFL experience. I'd go for a younger manager in the EFL. If possible, I'd go for someone like Alex Neil or Daniel Stendel, and build something properly, long term with a forward thinking appointment.

Agreed, although Hughton's credentials are impressive. Cowley has many admirers.

7 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

But it is Newcastle. So where does that leave us? Not great for the clubs prospects next season if the manager doesn't want to fully be here. 

Leaves us without a manager if we accept and with one if we reject.

Edited by Birley Owl 1867

14 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Well, then we have a big decision to make.

Unfortunately, whilst I'm fully in support of Chansiri rinsing Ashley, I fear there will come a point where he has to meet him somewhere in the middle. 

Exactly, Chansiri is in a difficult situation and it's worth reminding people it isn't as simple as, 'get loads of cash and get rid'. That's literally what he's been trying to do. 

Newcastle and Bruce know that as time goes on we'll be under pressure, but so are Newcastle, and Chansiri won't take kindly to today's antics. 

I can see Chansiri moving on it if we have someone lined up, otherwise I don't think he'll budge, and I'd struggle to argue with it really.

Go on DC raise the bar massively, watch Ashley scurry away & see Bruce begging fir mercy.. Love DC's being stubborn but it's more of a Thai thing.. Loyalty & don't betray them that did you good are part of the culture... I expect he's fuming.