Steve Bruce favourite for Newcastle job

Guest Arnold

Going nowhere. Straight from the horses mouth:

Bruce last week brushed off speculation linking him with the vacancy at St James' Park.

"Maybe because I'm from Newcastle [is why my name has been mentioned]," he told Radio Sheffield.

"But no, I've been on holiday. I never take any notice of all that sort of speculation or tittle-tattle because the way the newspapers are today, no disrespect, I think there have been 150 managers associated with Newcastle. I would suppose I'm going to be one of them."

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11678/11759686/newcastle-consider-steve-bruce-as-rafael-benitez-replacement

Edited by Minton
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Minton said:

Bruce last week brushed off speculation linking him with the vacancy at St James' Park.

"Maybe because I'm from Newcastle [is why my name has been mentioned]," he told Radio Sheffield.

"But no, I've been on holiday. I never take any notice of all that sort of speculation or tittle-tattle because the way the newspapers are today, no disrespect, I think there have been 150 managers associated with Newcastle. I would suppose I'm going to be one of them."

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11678/11759686/newcastle-consider-steve-bruce-as-rafael-benitez-replacement

Did you fail to quote the bit where he says he is going nowhere then.

:Sid:

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Minton said:

Just play devils advocate here there’s one thing batting away speculation but another thing when an actual job offer comes your way.

Hope it’s all bullshit but if Newcastle come in for him Bruce would find it hard to turn down at his time of life IMO.

Just now, Birley Owl 1867 said:

Yeah.

Apart from the fact he's turned them down twice before he jumps at it.

Who was he manager of at the time and in what division?

If a better job comes along managers generally jump at it - sadly our managers are rarely poached, they get sacked.  Catterick, Wilkinson, Atkinson - any others? 

28 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Bruce jumps at the chance if he’s offered it. Hopefully he isn’t. 

Bruce has been offered it twice before. He didn't jump then.

Newcastle is for sale and if he goes and they get sold he could be out of a job. Ashley is a billionaire for a reason he's tighter than a ducks ass that's one of the reasons Benitez left so he could have less to spend there than he does here.

1 hour ago, Bluesteel said:

Newcastle’s appointment of Rafa trolled their fans as they thought the penny had dropped and Ashley had ambition but his ambition is to keep the club mid table and sell when he gets the right bid. Or just keep them there, maybe throw in a relegation and promotion again to amuse himself. He’s really not bothered.

I keep hearing that they can’t go from Rafa to Steve Bruce. Well they can because that’s the market Ashley typically operates in and Rafa wasn’t as good as they made out either otherwise his only offer wouldn’t be in China.

I think it is widely acknowledged that Benitez did a very good job at Newcastle given what he had to work with. Maybe he did have other offers, maybe he just thought a year or two in China on money you don't get anywhere else was too good to turn down. What other jobs are available at the moment that might have interested him in Europe?

12 minutes ago, Belfast Owl 2 said:

One team city so home crowds about right. Plus they werent so loyal up until the mid 90's.

But Im talking about the delusions of granduer and arrogance coming from them. 

I agree until Keegan they weren’t getting the crowds they do now but were always relatively well supported 

Its only like Wednesday as a fan base - we’d say we deserve better. Most other clubs think we have an arrogance 

To say they are one of the worst sets of supporters is ridiculous (even for you)

If Newcastle come and offer him better money he'll be off, why wouldn't he?  They have just sold a player for £30m, Ashley will let him have that.  And anything better than relegation would be a success for them this season.  

You can say all you want about loyalty and respect but it all comes down to money.  Plus where would you rather work, a Premier League team who have an owner who isn't completely reckless (if very tight) or a Championship who are failing at FFP year on year, with an owner who seemingly doesn't know the first thing about running a football club?

Just not bothered...

4 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

I think it is widely acknowledged that Benitez did a very good job at Newcastle given what he had to work with. Maybe he did have other offers, maybe he just thought a year or two in China on money you don't get anywhere else was too good to turn down. What other jobs are available at the moment that might have interested him in Europe?

I think he did an good job, but not a messiah like job as he is being treated. Chris Hughton managed similar for them and there are plenty of average sides who have stopped up like Burnley and Watford. 

I dont trawl the european job market but I’m guessing none of them would pay 12m a year like in China. He could’ve left Newcastle and waited for a job in Europe if vision is really what he wanted.

2 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Didn’t he come out and say it was one of his biggest regrets? Sure I read that somewhere. 

Twice?

He said he regretted not taking the opportunity in 2004 but turned it down again when he was Hull manager.

21 minutes ago, torres said:

Who cares what they think?

50 thousand every week is outstanding for a club that hasn’t won a thing for a very long time.

Theres a very fine line between "Proud loyalty & stupidly gullible"

in thats willing to put up with any old crap no matter level the team you support plays at .....

• Like 1