Embargo fall out

What is your view on the ( soft ) embargo?

For me it is a mild irritation that is by no means unique within the top two divisions and it illustrates a degree of inefficiency at the top end of the club.

I am getting tired of the presumption that “ the FA are now satisfied and the embargo will be lifted this week “ ... this line seems to have been trotted out for a month now.

Whilst I’m sure that Bruce will be effective in bringing players to the club I can’t help but think that some potential targets have been put off by the uncertainty that surrounds this sanction.

Given the option of joining a club that can offer a two/three year deal with an enthusiastic press release welcoming their new signing compared with the Wednesday route of “ well we really want you but we are unable to sign you yet or announce it to our fans because we are unsure how much poo we are in at the moment “... I worry that some targets might take the first option.

So come on Wednesday, get it sorted, this p1ss poor governance is hampering our fabbo new manager.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, jonnyowl said:

It's strange that we haven't officially announced the new signings and contract extensions.

Wonder if it's the reason we missed out in Bidwell.

Hope it doesn't stop us getting Hector.

Pretty sure we won’t get Hector - hope I’m wrong though.

Problem with rule based institutions is nothing can get done quickly.

Nobody feels they can make a decision.

It's not like there is a bloke at the other end saying "ok mate got the email, all seems legit, go ahead and spend spend spend"

Beurocracy is like wading through treacle.

5 minutes ago, Mr Farrell said:

I prefer it like this. The unknown is more interesting.

We could sign another 8, or our signings could be completed.

Still staggers me that our Chairman never sells anybody. Hell of a business model.

He certainly has a way (not sure it's a model), and he'll at least win or fail - there doesn't appear to be a middle ground with him.

The pending ground assignment to a third party (hopefully a family member within the group company), potential share re-issue, account's delays and managing the soft embargo are all potentially risky for us as a club in the long term.

However, in the end, football (or the business of football), has changed for good - there's little use harking back to 'the good old days'. Man City and their fans laugh at the authorities, and the lesson seems to be get on the gravy train or get out of the business. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Animis said:

He certainly has a way (not sure it's a model), and he'll at least win or fail - there doesn't appear to be a middle ground with him.

The pending ground assignment to a third party (hopefully a family member within the group company), potential share re-issue, account's delays and managing the soft embargo are all potentially risky for us as a club in the long term.

However, in the end, football (or the business of football), has changed for good - there's little use harking back to 'the good old days'. Man City and their fans laugh at the authorities, and the lesson seems to be get on the gravy train or get out of the business. 

Hopefully not. Hopefully purchased out of DC's own funds and put into the the holding company he recently registered for safekeeping (best keep the ground registered in the UK under a UK based entity). And if you mean Thai Union when using the term "group company", that won't be happening!

1 minute ago, ChinaOwl said:

Hopefully not. Hopefully purchased out of DC's own funds and put into the the holding company he recently registered for safekeeping (best keep the ground registered in the UK under a UK based entity). And if you mean Thai Union when using the term "group company", that won't be happening!

Yes - you may be right. However, I doubt DC has the personal wealth to keep funding these initiatives so I suspect someone else will be 'assisting' in the funds.

In terms of signings, the odd situation as many have said, is the fact players have clearly signed and are openly training with the club, yet nobody has been announced. I suppose we can deal with this if there's a bigger plan and reasons, which I think there are. I think things will happen quickly and simultaneously once the EFL have agreed the 'plan', if they already haven't.

We could all end up pleasantly surprised and pleased come 3rd August.

3 minutes ago, Animis said:

Yes - you may be right. However, I doubt DC has the personal wealth to keep funding these initiatives so I suspect someone else will be 'assisting' in the funds.

He can loan the money off another family member and offer them shares in return (he has just issued another load of them that can be used in such a transaction). I do not have concerns about the ground being sold and placed under the ownership of SWFC Holdings Limited. That is groovy with me. My concerns are related to selling the club's main asset to a third party and moving ownership offshore. That's when alarm bells start ringing with me. Anybody that knows anything about moving assets internationally can enlighten on that one!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Buddy Repperton said:

Are we the only club that gets  embargo restrictions btw?

Never seems to affect any other clubs pre season plans. 

And Man City can just do what they want!

Anyone would think the powers that be don't like Sheffield Wednesday for some reason! :ph34r:  

Dave Richards 

43 minutes ago, Beholder said:

It's not like there is a bloke at the other end saying "ok mate got the email, all seems legit, go ahead and spend spend spend"

Mmmm treacle.

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, ChinaOwl said:

He can loan the money off another family member and offer them shares in return (he has just issued another load of them that can be used in such a transaction). I do not have concerns about the ground being sold and placed under the ownership of SWFC Holdings Limited. That is groovy with me. My concerns are related to selling the club's main asset to a third party and moving ownership offshore. That's when alarm bells start ringing with me. Anybody that knows anything about moving assets internationally can enlighten on that one!

White's used to move us when I was in the Army.

1 hour ago, Beholder said:

tired old men and bureaucracy are like 'thinking' about stating to wade through treacle.

I'm sure we'll look back at the DC reign and wonder what the heck was going on, scratching our heads at many strange decisions and schemes with lots of periods of silence leaving the fans and media to unhelpfully conjecture what's happening, filling us all with worry and occasional panic. Let's hope it's not filled with too many wasted opportunities, as I feel it is becoming!

2 minutes ago, briggowl said:

I'm sure we'll look back at the DC reign and wonder what the heck was going on, scratching our heads at many strange decisions and schemes with lots of periods of silence leaving the fans and media to unhelpfully conjecture what's happening, filling us all with worry and occasional panic. Let's hope it's not filled with too many wasted opportunities, as I feel it is becoming!

Don't mind the silence. He always seems to put his foot in it when he speaks.

Happy for him to back Brucie, and get on with the job in hand.

2 hours ago, Mr Farrell said:

I prefer it like this. The unknown is more interesting.

We could sign another 8, or our signings could be completed.

Still staggers me that our Chairman never sells anybody. Hell of a business model.

Give him some credit. 

When Jos came in he insisted on playing 3-5-2 with a huge reliance on effective fullbacks.

At which point chansiri sold jack hunt to Bristol city which made sense as he was the only player we had who was capable of playing that position...

• Like 1
  • Haha 4