New GREEN away kit

8 hours ago, punkskaphil said:

It was just a classic Ferguson excuse because they were getting hammered. Apparently the United players couldn't see each other, but it's amazing how easy it was for all of Southampton's players to see them...

yeah! they got 'hammered' that much that season Southampton won the division by 10 point....OH! HOLD ON.

1 minute ago, dorian gray said:

yeah! they got 'hammered' that much that season Southampton won the division by 10 point....OH! HOLD ON.

I thought we were talking about the match where Utd changed kits at half time. Obviously my mistake.

Just now, punkskaphil said:

I thought we were talking about the match where Utd changed kits at half time. Obviously my mistake.

yes we were, and they were that good that any such result was 'very surprising' to say the least. so when fergusson comes out and changes their strip at half time, and they never wear it again (to my knowledge) I believe there may well be truth in it.

In football it's good to know where you team mates and opposition are all the time, the easier it is to do this, the better.

1 minute ago, dorian gray said:

yes we were, and they were that good that any such result was 'very surprising' to say the least. so when fergusson comes out and changes their strip at half time, and they never wear it again (to my knowledge) I believe there may well be truth in it.

In football it's good to know where you team mates and opposition are all the time, the easier it is to do this, the better.

Man u always knew where their players were , about four inches from the ref . 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, dorian gray said:

Explain how the Southampton players were able to see the United players then. Were the entire United team temporarily colour blind?

By the way, United went back to the Dell six months later without a grey kit...and got battered 6-3.

Just now, punkskaphil said:

Explain how the Southampton players were able to see the United players then. Were the entire United team temporarily colour blind?

By the way, United went back to the Dell six months later without a grey kit...and got battered 6-3.

The ref was confused and kept giving the wrong decision against united . After being told his job at half time the second half was different . 

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

Not sure promotion from the lower leagues is big success.

Hibs didnt win the cup as well for 110 years....

114 years. And it took one of the worst opposition teams in many a year to make it to a cup final for them to do so.

11 hours ago, punkskaphil said:

that may well be true, but it doesn't alter the fact that they changed at h/t (so I figure someone raised the matter, and immediate action was taken to address the issue, and not do it the wednesday way of 'aw we'll be ok, leave it').

as I say (no offence) but I do (as much as I didn't care for the bloke) rate fergusson's management knowledge above yours on all matters football.

6 hours ago, dorian gray said:

that may well be true, but it doesn't alter the fact that they changed at h/t (so I figure someone raised the matter, and immediate action was taken to address the issue, and not do it the wednesday way of 'aw we'll be ok, leave it').

as I say (no offence) but I do (as much as I didn't care for the bloke) rate fergusson's management knowledge above yours on all matters football.

Thing is fergusson is the most overrated manager ever . He whined at everything to the officials , made sure his players played the ref more than the game and the refs when faced with him and his players especially at home were given most decisions and away they were still given most decisions as they were too spineless to give decisions against man u against an also ran side . Plus they had the biggest by far pulling power of players without him having to do anything . If you put him into today's prem over man u he would be sacked in months as there are other teams who can match them and wouldnt get everything his own way . In today's game he would be lucky to get the manager job over the pigs . Apart from that I dont mind the complete c@@t lol

1 hour ago, cross owl said:

Thing is fergusson is the most overrated manager ever . He whined at everything to the officials , made sure his players played the ref more than the game and the refs when faced with him and his players especially at home were given most decisions and away they were still given most decisions as they were too spineless to give decisions against man u against an also ran side . Plus they had the biggest by far pulling power of players without him having to do anything . If you put him into today's prem over man u he would be sacked in months as there are other teams who can match them and wouldnt get everything his own way . In today's game he would be lucky to get the manager job over the pigs . Apart from that I dont mind the complete c@@t lol

I don't like the bloke, but I think you have to respect the trophies he won in his time as manager, but it is obvious that you don't.

he 'whined' at the officials, made sure his players played the ref. to get decisions, TRUE he did, so did revie at l**ds and shankley at liverpoo', I hope bruce is going to do the same for us this season.

they'd always had the biggest pulling power (for attracting players) since I can remember.

'if you put him into today's prem. over man u' there's no knowing what he could, or couldn't do, but i'll say this, IF they were up against pep's (money is no object) side, man u would get into 'em in a fashion citeh aren't used to, give 2 or 3 in the citeh side a limp, and your outcome is far less certain.

what he did for man u. were huge achievements, he and his staff did their jobs for that to come about, as I say I hope we are going to be less of a soft touch, and a tougher nut to crack this time around.

3 minutes ago, dorian gray said:

I don't like the bloke, but I think you have to respect the trophies he won in his time as manager, but it is obvious that you don't.

he 'whined' at the officials, made sure his players played the ref. to get decisions, TRUE he did, so did revie at l**ds and shankley at liverpoo', I hope bruce is going to do the same for us this season.

they'd always had the biggest pulling power (for attracting players) since I can remember.

'if you put him into today's prem. over man u' there's no knowing what he could, or couldn't do, but i'll say this, IF they were up against pep's (money is no object) side, man u would get into 'em in a fashion citeh aren't used to, give 2 or 3 in the citeh side a limp, and your outcome is far less certain.

what he did for man u. were huge achievements, he and his staff did their jobs for that to come about, as I say I hope we are going to be less of a soft touch, and a tougher nut to crack this time around.

Ferguson's side wouldn't be allowed to dish out limps with complete impunity now . Keane would never play more than two seconds a season either . I just don't rate him at all . It's like giving a bang average driver a Porsche and giving someone talented a reliant Robin . The talentless bloke in the Porsche will win just because of the tool he has been given . Back then man u was by far the biggest tool , which suited him garymegson revies l@@@s didn't win by playing football either and only won because other players didn't fancy a hospital tea . There are many far better managers than them that just didn't want to play like hooligans or given the resources the sour faced one had . I hope we aren't going to be a soft touch but I would rather win by our side getting down to it rather than volleying people or whining at every single decision . 

7 hours ago, dorian gray said:

I don't doubt Alex Ferguson's football management knowledge one bit, and I haven't said anything that suggests otherwise. I also don't doubt that he often desperately looked for excuses to give on the rare occasions when his side unexpectedly underperformed. That particular one was just the most utterly pathetic of all because there's no physical way that the grey kits could only affect his team and not the opposition equally. The fact everyone still remembers it more than twenty years on suggests how ridiculous it was.

1 minute ago, cross owl said:

Ferguson's side wouldn't be allowed to dish out limps with complete impunity now . Keane would never play more than two seconds a season either . I just don't rate him at all . It's like giving a bang average driver a Porsche and giving someone talented a reliant Robin . The talentless bloke in the Porsche will win just because of the tool he has been given . Back then man u was by far the biggest tool , which suited him garymegson revies l@@@s didn't win by playing football either and only won because other players didn't fancy a hospital tea . There are many far better managers than them that just didn't want to play like hooligans or given the resources the sour faced one had . I hope we aren't going to be a soft touch but I would rather win by our side getting down to it rather than volleying people or whining at every single decision . 

they would, you said they had the officials in their pockets.

as for the rest of your post how naïve can you get? 'far better managers who didn't want to play like hooligans' what a childish summary. 'WE NOT BOTHERED ABOUT WINNING, WE LIKE TO PLAY FAIR'  I was sick of hearing it from managers and players on match of the day.  :tango:

5 minutes ago, punkskaphil said:

I don't doubt Alex Ferguson's football management knowledge one bit, and I haven't said anything that suggests otherwise. I also don't doubt that he often desperately looked for excuses to give on the rare occasions when his side unexpectedly underperformed. That particular one was just the most utterly pathetic of all because there's no physical way that the grey kits could only affect his team and not the opposition equally. The fact everyone still remembers it more than twenty years on suggests how ridiculous it was.

I think 'everyone remembers it' because it was such a 'freak result' at that time. for you to say 'there is no physical way that grey kits could affect them' is wrong.

it is a well known fact that red is the easiest of kit to pick up in football, and that in senior (now premier, and before that championship) football since 1960 a side in sky blue have won the title 6 times, a side in white 6 times, a side in blue and white 12 times, whilst red and white muster 33.

danger markings in life are coloured red not GREY, fire engines are red to be seen better, NOT GREY, why do teachers mark in red, so it's easy to distinguish from the norm, we have a 'red arrows' display team, whilst the 'grey arrows' didn't catch on, we paint our warships grey and NOT red so as to make them less visible.

peoples bitterness for fergusson cannot hide the fact that something in red is easier to see than in grey, and as a club manager he had an outstanding time at man u.

56 minutes ago, dorian gray said:

I think 'everyone remembers it' because it was such a 'freak result' at that time. for you to say 'there is no physical way that grey kits could affect them' is wrong.

it is a well known fact that red is the easiest of kit to pick up in football, and that in senior (now premier, and before that championship) football since 1960 a side in sky blue have won the title 6 times, a side in white 6 times, a side in blue and white 12 times, whilst red and white muster 33.

danger markings in life are coloured red not GREY, fire engines are red to be seen better, NOT GREY, why do teachers mark in red, so it's easy to distinguish from the norm, we have a 'red arrows' display team, whilst the 'grey arrows' didn't catch on, we paint our warships grey and NOT red so as to make them less visible.

peoples bitterness for fergusson cannot hide the fact that something in red is easier to see than in grey, and as a club manager he had an outstanding time at man u.

What I actually said was "...there's no physical way that the grey kits could only affect his team and not the opposition equally."

If Manchester United players couldn't see their grey kits then the Southampton players wouldn't have been able to see them either. This is the most important point, and you still can't seem to understand it. Are you going to try to argue that Manchester United players had different kinds of eyes to the Southampton players? It should've far easier for United players to intercept Southampton's passes, for example, because the Southampton players wouldn't have been able to see them so clearly. But that didn't happen. Southampton just played better that day.

When England played Germany in the Semi-final of Euro '96, they played pretty well and held them to a draw (obviously excepting the shoot-out). England wore grey, yet somehow they miraculously seemed to be able to see each other and pick each other out with few problems. Similarly, Real Madrid's grey away kit didn't seem to hamper them too much in the 2015-16 season when they won the majority of their away games and saw them finish second by only one point from Barcelona.