Ground sale to go through shortly?

Guest Ash76

On 05/07/2019 at 21:09, ChinaOwl said:

Perhaps Mandaric was there to help him, as was Aldridge and to a lesser extent Wilkinson. But other people were also advising in the form of Thai Pete and Doyen. DC chose a different route to take that almost resulted in promotion. Sport is always decided on small margins though and "almost" ultimately turned out to be our undoing.

My take on it from the outset was not to try to change too much too quickly. Stick with the foundations that Mandaric had left and then build on it with the extra investment. I was a protagonist of the experienced Championship manager or coach be left alone to build his own team. I was against transfer committees and the like. Perhaps now I can claim to be right but now I have the benefit of hindsight. I would have been wrong had we been promoted in either of the two play-off years.

I want DC to ultimately be successful because, if he's successful, so are Sheffield Wednesday. I am just glad we are now back to having a successful Championship seasoned campaigner at the helm and hope he can now build without some of the outside influences that I strongly believe took DC on the wrong path previously.

Dream on. Paxo's still in situ. And apparently still influencing team matters.

For example, could be him that's asking daft sales prices for players that Bruce has let it be known is a problem.

Including Joao, where his Doyen have a financial interest as agents for Lucas (asking £8.5 million against £2.25 m. on Transfermarket).

Ditto Fessi, asking £10 million against £2.5 m. on Transfermarket currently. 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, fred mciver said:

For example, could be him that's asking daft sales prices for players that Bruce has let it be known is a problem.

Including Joao, where his Doyen have a financial interest as agents for Lucas (asking £8.5 million against £2.25 m. on Transfermarket).

tbh not sure the validity of  Transfermarket those valuations are ridiculously low imo 

10 hours ago, fred mciver said:

Say what you want about over-valuations but no way I would be selling Joao for £2.25M and FF for £2.5M in todays market regardless pf what it says on a transfer website. I wonder if that website valued Mings at anywhere near £26M last week..  

5 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Say what you want about over-valuations but no way I would be selling Joao for £2.25M and FF for £2.5M in todays market regardless pf what it says on a transfer website. I wonder if that website valued Mings at anywhere near £26M last week..  

Precisely. The under-valuation by some people on here is incredibly frustrating, when you look at similar players, with similar (if not inferior) goalscoring records and contractual situations (Madine £6m is a perfect example) then asking £2.5m for Joao is pure madness.

FYI, Tyrone Mings is curently valued at £4.5m on Transfermarkt.

Edited by Minton

2 minutes ago, Minton said:

Precisely. The under-valuation by some people on here is incredibly frustrating, when you look at similar players, with similar (if not inferior) goalscoring records and contractual situations (Madine £6m is a perfect example) then asking £2.5m for Joao is pure madness.

FYI, Tyrone Mings is curently valued at £4.5m on Transfermarkt.

To be fair I think most sane people see the Madine fee as an exception but even still you have to take into consideration that Joao and Forestieri have shown they can perform at this level, albeit inconsistently and both still have potential re-sale value, especially Joao.

Joao had a decent goals per minute ration last season when you consider he didn't always play in his preferred position and was part of a struggling side for the first half of the campaign. £8M may seem too high but you don't start off bidding with what you believe to be the actual value and then let clubs negotiate you down from that.

When did Transfermarket become the arbiter of prices. Everyone knows it's Football Manager.lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Tricky one for the club. Do they hold out for their valuations of players and risk not getting out of the door , which will seroiusly hamper Bruces chamces of bringing in his own players , or do the club sell cut price to get them off the wage bill and ensble Bruce to improve the squad.

You seriously think Bruce would have come here or stayed here this long, if Paxo or anyone else was dictating matters as you suggest 

Not having it to be honest

11 hours ago, fred mciver said:

We should be asking that for joao. Look at the market it’s mad. 2m wouldn’t dint FFP nor buy a replacement.

40 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

To be fair I think most sane people see the Madine fee as an exception but even still you have to take into consideration that Joao and Forestieri have shown they can perform at this level, albeit inconsistently and both still have potential re-sale value, especially Joao.

Joao had a decent goals per minute ration last season when you consider he didn't always play in his preferred position and was part of a struggling side for the first half of the campaign. £8M may seem too high but you don't start off bidding with what you believe to be the actual value and then let clubs negotiate you down from that.

In the context of 25m for mings, 30m for Phillips, 17m for James, 13m for Kelly, 4m and 7m for two Luton full backs. 8m for Joao should be the starting point in my view. Swansea want close to 20 for McBurnie.

Its the ones who may be in their final year or hampering us with wages who we probably need to take a hit on. 

1 minute ago, Royal_D said:

Nobody’s gonna pay going rate for ANY of our players whilever they know we’re tryna solve FFP 

depends how much they want them, if it’s a pittance they’re offering and it doesn’t help us then we’re better off keeping them.

2 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

depends how much they want them, if it’s a pittance they’re offering and it doesn’t help us then we’re better off keeping them.

Correct, and this is why for me ..Norwich can get rodded wanting Rhodes for a bag of marbles and a KitKat 

I would be surprised if there are any clubs who have promotion aspirations that are particularly interested in Forestieri or Joa for owt like a decent price.

Lets be honest, neither pulled any trees up last season.

Might be good news for us....We know both have it in them.

It could well be a defining season for Joao , 

If Bruce can get him firing, change what is sometimes a relaxed attitude, he could fulfill his promise.

One good season from Forestieri could make the difference for us.....

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Royal_D said:

Nobody’s gonna pay going rate for ANY of our players whilever they know we’re tryna solve FFP 

This is another reason why the rules don't work. Yes responsibility for us being in breach of the P&S rules recently ultimately lies with us but when you look at how many clubs in the Championship have been under an embargo in recent years, plus how many have ignored the rules in spending big and getting to the PL that in itself suggests the rules aren't working.

To compound that, clubs placed under an embargo have to prove they are doing something significant to improve their finances in order to get out of it. Fair enough to an extent but when rivals (often those with the benefit of parachute payments) and PL clubs are then able to take advantage of what is effectively an EFL enforced fire sale it doesn't make for a fair playing field, which is part of what P&S is meant to be for.

As I say, we knew the rules and knew what we could face (although the punishments being somewhat arbitrational rather than pre-determined is also a bit misleading and vague - 'nothing is off the table' in terms of punishments?). If we were an isolated case fair enough, take the punishment as it comes, however, when so many clubs in the division are in breach then they can't be fit for purpose.

When FFP was introduced the premise was to 'keep the game and clubs financially healthy, and to maintain a competitive balance'. How's that working out?

22 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

This is another reason why the rules don't work. Yes responsibility for us being in breach of the P&S rules recently ultimately lies with us but when you look at how many clubs in the Championship have been under an embargo in recent years, plus how many have ignored the rules in spending big and getting to the PL that in itself suggests the rules aren't working.

To compound that, clubs placed under an embargo have to prove they are doing something significant to improve their finances in order to get out of it. Fair enough to an extent but when rivals (often those with the benefit of parachute payments) and PL clubs are then able to take advantage of what is effectively an EFL enforced fire sale it doesn't make for a fair playing field, which is part of what P&S is meant to be for.

As I say, we knew the rules and knew what we could face (although the punishments being somewhat arbitrational rather than pre-determined is also a bit misleading and vague - 'nothing is off the table' in terms of punishments?). If we were an isolated case fair enough, take the punishment as it comes, however, when so many clubs in the division are in breach then they can't be fit for purpose.

When FFP was introduced the premise was to 'keep the game and clubs financially healthy, and to maintain a competitive balance'. How's that working out?

Good points, sham of a system and about time the EFL realised it 

Guest mkowl

The big question of course is if we finally sell players how much is owed to Doyen out the proceeds 

2 hours ago, asteener1867 said:

I would be surprised if there are any clubs who have promotion aspirations that are particularly interested in Forestieri or Joa for owt like a decent price.

Lets be honest, neither pulled any trees up last season.

Might be good news for us....We know both have it in them.

It could well be a defining season for Joao , 

If Bruce can get him firing, change what is sometimes a relaxed attitude, he could fulfill his promise.

One good season from Forestieri could make the difference for us.....

Yeah I’d agree with that, if we get those asking prices, then maybe, if not, they are more useful to us. We’d also have to pay quite a bit to get a player with the attributes of any of those. Sure they don’t always produce, but if they did produce on a more regular basis, then they wouldn’t be with us for long