Ground sale to go through shortly?

Guest Ash76

4 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

Personally I blame Milan for some of this. He sold to a novice and spouted bull that he was always there to advise him.

He either left him to flounder or pointed him at Doyen whichever rumour you believe.

I realise business is business and Milan didn’t really care once he had his money but that doesn’t stop me blaming him a bit.

However we are where we are. 

Can’t change the past which is why I don’t see the point in flogging to death on here the mistakes of the last 4 years.

The simple decision is we either do something creative to beat FFP or take a probable points deduction and full embargo leading to almost certain relegation.

I guess each of us has our view.

Perhaps Mandaric was there to help him, as was Aldridge and to a lesser extent Wilkinson. But other people were also advising in the form of Thai Pete and Doyen. DC chose a different route to take that almost resulted in promotion. Sport is always decided on small margins though and "almost" ultimately turned out to be our undoing.

My take on it from the outset was not to try to change too much too quickly. Stick with the foundations that Mandaric had left and then build on it with the extra investment. I was a protagonist of the experienced Championship manager or coach be left alone to build his own team. I was against transfer committees and the like. Perhaps now I can claim to be right but now I have the benefit of hindsight. I would have been wrong had we been promoted in either of the two play-off years.

I want DC to ultimately be successful because, if he's successful, so are Sheffield Wednesday. I am just glad we are now back to having a successful Championship seasoned campaigner at the helm and hope he can now build without some of the outside influences that I strongly believe took DC on the wrong path previously.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, billyblack said:

Why would it be almost certain relegation. Point deduction yes. Relegation doubtful in my view

It’s just a guess of course.

Assuming we got 12 Pts like Brum then the average 50 Pts normally talked about as being needed to stay up becomes 62. We finished on 64 this season.

Factor in the inevitable hit on player morale and the presumed inability to make new signings or loans and I think we would struggle.

On 05/07/2019 at 20:16, oldishowl said:

It’s just a guess of course.

Assuming we got 12 Pts like Brum then the average 50 Pts normally talked about as being needed to stay up becomes 62. We finished on 64 this season.

Factor in the inevitable hit on player morale and the presumed inability to make new signings or loans and I think we would struggle.

I couldn't see the points deduction as that was a lot to do with Birmingham ignoring the sodt embargo and splashing 2mill on a new player.

25 minutes ago, coopswfc76 said:

I couldn't see the points deduction as that was a lot to do with Birmingham ignoring the sodt embargo and splashing 2mill on a new player.

It's looking like we've not incurred a points deduction. If so, then we should give DC and his team some credit as even though they got us into the position in the first place, it would have taken some discipline and long-term planning to ride out the last 18 months with little or no investment, knowing he had the cash to invest and knowing he would be simply treading water in the championship.

Fair play to him for not following Birmingham's model at least.

27 minutes ago, coopswfc76 said:

Birmingham got a 9 points deduction, 7 points  were solely for breaking the 39m limit. The other 2 were for compliance matters. There was no points deduction for the player transfer as they successfully appealed this.

3 minutes ago, Animis said:

It's looking like we've not incurred a points deduction. If so, then we should give DC and his team some credit as even though they got us into the position in the first place, it would have taken some discipline and long-term planning to ride out the last 18 months with little or no investment, knowing he had the cash to invest and knowing he would be simply treading water in the championship.

Fair play to him for not following Birmingham's model at least.

Long term planning? So the long term plan was to sell our first choice right back,lone our record transfer striker to a promotion rival, change our accounting year end at the last possible moment . It looks to me like we are doing things on the fly at the moment i.e. ground sale, share issue. Hopefully there is a long term plan to run along side the ball juggling we are doing at the moment. 

23 minutes ago, teddybeararmy said:

Long term planning? So the long term plan was to sell our first choice right back,lone our record transfer striker to a promotion rival, change our accounting year end at the last possible moment . It looks to me like we are doing things on the fly at the moment i.e. ground sale, share issue. Hopefully there is a long term plan to run along side the ball juggling we are doing at the moment. 

I was refencing the last 18 months. We failed in May 2017, and our last transfer activity of any sorts was JVA in September 2017. Once the situation was known (and yes you could argue it was always known) the shutters went down, which coincided with Jos' arrival in Jan 2018.

You could say the plan started in the Winter of 2017/18 once DC realized Carlos had run his course. I think Jos was part of the plan.

1 hour ago, teddybeararmy said:

Birmingham got a 9 points deduction, 7 points  were solely for breaking the 39m limit. The other 2 were for compliance matters. There was no points deduction for the player transfer as they successfully appealed this.

who knows what will or wont happen , I reckon over 3 years we are pushing 50 million ,if we are hit with 9pts and transfer freeze what will happen to the 3 players we supposed to have signed? I guess they wont be too happy , with the squad as it is minus those 3 players and having the usual injures to the usual players ie hutch,lee I would see stopping up as an achievement but this is doom mongering and hopefully we wont have any sanctions ,the sooner we know the better as its dragging on and on . think we were in an embargo for around 4 months last summer only until last 2 days we were allowed 2 loans hector, onomah 

1 hour ago, Animis said:

I was refencing the last 18 months. We failed in May 2017, and our last transfer activity of any sorts was JVA in September 2017. Once the situation was known (and yes you could argue it was always known) the shutters went down, which coincided with Jos' arrival in Jan 2018.

You could say the plan started in the Winter of 2017/18 once DC realized Carlos had run his course. I think Jos was part of the plan.

So why in the 18 months, if the our situation was known have we done nothing to better it.

offers of £3m for Westwood last year with wages that would put the club £4m better off, offer for Jones of £500k, with wages another £1.5 - £2m.

we could now be £5m better off, all be it without Westwood, but we have sold keepers in the past and found decent replacement.

There is no forward planning only to pray for promotion or we are in trouble is the only thing that happen - remember the chairman's quotes on the matter ' we are FFP trouble if are not promoted this year'

now once again we find ourselves under transfer restrictions and unable to strengthen a weaken squad, while smaller teams which you can only say are run better are strengthening their squads.

there is no long term plan, there is long terms Hopes, I too have a long term hope on winning the Euromillions but I am not going to mortgage my house on it happening.

2 hours ago, handworth52 said:

who knows what will or wont happen , I reckon over 3 years we are pushing 50 million ,if we are hit with 9pts and transfer freeze what will happen to the 3 players we supposed to have signed? I guess they wont be too happy , with the squad as it is minus those 3 players and having the usual injures to the usual players ie hutch,lee I would see stopping up as an achievement but this is doom mongering and hopefully we wont have any sanctions ,the sooner we know the better as its dragging on and on . think we were in an embargo for around 4 months last summer only until last 2 days we were allowed 2 loans hector, onomah 

With changing the year end it probably allowed the hunt and Rhodes deals to be included in the 17-18 accounts thus scraping under the 39m allowable losses.

The problem is the 18-19 accounts, similar wage bill, lower crowds/income probably similar losses to 16-17 &17-18 accounts with the critical part being the15-16 losses drop off which were only 9m being replaced with the 18-19 accounts.although this won't matter if the ground sale goes through allowing us to possibly post a profit in 18-19.