Lee Cattermole

Just now, Bluesteel said:

He could be, but then again I didn’t see much in semedo or prutton when we signed them but they both added some grit to a flakey team and allowed younger quicker players to go and do their thing.

Only way I could see it kind of working would be a 4231 where Bannan and Cattermole play deeper and the midfielder ahead of them has a much more creative attacking role. Seems a little outdated in terms of the tactics teams were using last year though. 

5 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

He may have had a decent career in terms of staying in the top flight for a while but how many seasons has he enjoyed a winning record? Difficult to have too many of those in the top flight with Sunderland but if he stood out in a poor team why didn't anyone else at that level take a chance on him?  

I don’t know, but not many players last at a big club like that for 10 years under various managers, I don’t think judging his winning record in the premier league is that relevant as we’ve not been there for 20 years but he won a fair few last season and got to Wembley twice. It’s gone south for the last couple of seasons and he’s by no means going to change the face of our side on his own, but I can see what he would bring that is different and might help us also if it goes well. 

3 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

Only way I could see it kind of working would be a 4231 where Bannan and Cattermole play deeper and the midfielder ahead of them has a much more creative attacking role. Seems a little outdated in terms of the tactics teams were using last year though. 

That’s exactly how I think we will set up. Bruce isn’t that modern but he’s effective. Carlos was modern but all style and no substance when it mattered in my view. 

Edited by Bluesteel

1 minute ago, Bluesteel said:

That’s exactly how I think we will set up. Bruce isn’t that modern but he’s effective. Carlos was modern but all style and no substance when it mattered in my view. 

In that formation Rhodes and Winnall would certainly be redundant. Hopefully they'll be moved on asap and provide us with some funds. Also would love to see FF sat behind the striker in that pocket. 

• Like 1

Since semedo left we’ve only really had Hutchinson who could really put a foot in. He’s also a card magnet and had injury issues but he’s one of the most popular players here. We’ve been crying out for another player to help him do that role as we’ve been bullied in too many games. Pelupessy was brought in and he’s physical but too nice. If we had more to spend Morsy would be my choice for that no nonsense leader type as he gets up and down the pitch but we’re clearly working to a tight budget and Bruce knows Cattermole very well.

Cue red card first game.

Guest Ash76
2 hours ago, debram said:

Hope not, do some people never learn, hes about burnt out and past his best, ok for a league 1 team ,bruce wont go near him and will have bigger plans, silly thread imo.

Think you're going to be disappointed. Players in their final year of lucrative contracts do not try to engineer moves without having something lined up.

In those circumstances it makes perfect sense for it to be to a manager you have already have history with and is looking to improve midfield options.

1 hour ago, Bluesteel said:

Basically, the sh1thouse is a dying breed but everyone secretly loves one in their team.

He’s not a sh1thouse though, he’s more of a ratter, or a rat Doesn’t really have the strength or height that Hutchinson brings

How can anyone be against this move?

He's still only 31 and is hard as nails and on a free. We can't rely on Hutch staying fit for 46 matches as he's either injured or suspended. This makes perfect sense.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, IWEDFM said:

How can anyone be against this move?

He's still only 31 and is hard as nails and on a free. We can't rely on Hutch staying fit for 46 matches as he's either injured or suspended. This makes perfect sense.

But we've got Joey

Seems like the kind of player Warnock would sign for one of his promotion teams. So I’m all for it myself 

We don’t have millions to spend and it’s easy for people to say we should be signing someone younger, but they would demand a fee or be a loan who wouldn’t guarantee any success 

• Like 1

We are concentrating on the rougher aspects of his game but he has qualities at the other end.

In D1 he scored 7 and one assists in 29 games.

In our Div he scored 1 and made 6 in 35 games.

He has played most of his career battling in the Prem. He would be absolutely fine with us under Bruce.

My bigger concern, after playing almost all of his career in Sunderland and Boro, is whether he can acclimatise to the tropical climate of South Yorkshire.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Owls-Fan said:

Seems like the kind of player Warnock would sign for one of his promotion teams. So I’m all for it myself 

We don’t have millions to spend and it’s easy for people to say we should be signing someone younger, but they would demand a fee or be a loan who wouldn’t guarantee any success 

Seems like the kind of player W̶a̶r̶n̶o̶c̶k̶ Bruce would sign for one of his promotion teams.