Lee Cattermole

3 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

You can do that for both sides of the argument, seems a decent season in league one has changed some views since last summer.

https://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/cattermole-banned-from-driving.1425393/page-8

Plenty to go at as well if you google Cattermole and drink

4 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

You can do that for both sides of the argument, seems a decent season in league one has changed some views since last summer.

https://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/cattermole-banned-from-driving.1425393/page-8

Plenty to go at as well if you google Cattermole and drink

There’s been that all through his career, he’s no saint. But it’s not stopped him having a decent career all the same and despite that he is a character on the pitch that will not stand for any of his team mates being kicked about. I dunno why I just like that and it’s a side of the game that is going.

I don't have a problem with it. Viable alternative to Hutch who we all know struggles to play half the games at best. Cattermole is exactly the player you want in the 90th minute at 2-1 up when the opposition break and you need a no nonsense foul. Unlike pelupessy. 

Nixon suggesting Sunderland are paying him his final wages now over a longer period of time and agreed to release him to ease cash flow. Ie he gets a top up from them for the next few years. He then signs a deal with us for whatever we are willing to pay him within our wage structure.

Double bubble for him so I doubt he will be on huge wages here.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Bluesteel said:

There’s been that all through his career, he’s no saint. But it’s not stopped him having a decent career all the same and despite that he is a character on the pitch that will not stand for any of his team mates being kicked about. I dunno why I just like that and it’s a side of the game that is going.

I can just see plenty of Championship midfield with much more athletic, faster, combative players taking the mic out of a slowing, ageing Cattermole. And IF he actually does ok for us I still can't see it being good enough for a top 6 side. I'm pretty forceful with disagreeing with this potential signing. I don't give a flap what people think or bring up. I would happily have egg on my face if he turned out to be a genius signing. 

• Haha 1

Mixed views, but I don’t hate it.

This team has had a soft underbelly for years. Other than pace, our lack of ability to get hold of a game in the middle of the park (when Hutch isn’t playing) has probably been the number one complaint since Wembley. 

This feels like a logical and attainable solution to a very specific problem.

1 minute ago, sheffield_dave said:

Mixed views, but I don’t hate it.

This team has had a soft underbelly for years. Other than pace, our lack of ability to get hold of a game in the middle of the park (when Hutch isn’t playing) has probably been the number one complaint since Wembley. 

This feels like a logical and attainable solution to a very specific problem.

Cattermole might get hold of a game if he can catch up with the ball first. :duntmatter:

Just now, TheEnchanter said:

Cattermole might get hold of a game if he can catch up with the ball first. :duntmatter:

Hah. As I say, I have mixed views.

But I can see the logic here. I’m convinced Bruce did most of his homework for this job at Wembley which is a damning but predictable statement on our business since. He’s come in and immediately identified our need for fullbacks and pace, addressing both within a day of being here in January and continuing to do so this summer. Some steel in the middle is the third major one, and I personally trust Bruce to identify the right man.

As I say, an available fit for a specific problem. 

I'm assuming it'd be a two year deal (anything longer would be hard to accept), but a year's deal would be much easier to accept and understand the potential sense in.

Still, after (quite rightly) making his feelings known about the need for some fresh legs in the team, Cattermole seems about as far removed from that as I could imagine Bruce going short of signing retirees or re-signing David Jones.

I'll hope it's not true, but if he his to sign then I hope it's just for the season (though I expect it'll be longer).

17 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

He may have had a decent career in terms of staying in the top flight for a while but how many seasons has he enjoyed a winning record? Difficult to have too many of those in the top flight with Sunderland but if he stood out in a poor team why didn't anyone else at that level take a chance on him?  

18 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

I can just see plenty of Championship midfield with much more athletic, faster, combative players taking the mic out of a slowing, ageing Cattermole. And IF he actually does ok for us I still can't see it being good enough for a top 6 side. I'm pretty forceful with disagreeing with this potential signing. I don't give a flap what people think or bring up. I would happily have egg on my face if he turned out to be a genius signing. 

He could be, but then again I didn’t see much in semedo or prutton when we signed them but they both added some grit to a flakey team and allowed younger quicker players to go and do their thing.