Lee Cattermole

52 minutes ago, Big Jack said:

He may not even be interested in signing him, but for the papers an ex manager is an easy plausible rumour.

Aye, when you start to check most of the media and on line sources from social media, you start to realise unsourced rumours are almost the life blood of these need providers. Be it just click bait rubbish to get you to click The Star to keep ad revenue up or the real dross on twitter of companies so embedded with gambling firms that they will literally quote anything you realise so much is just utter poo .

I've heard the 'concerns' raised about kids getting news from just social media, and I really didn't get the worry till I started to waste my life chasing footie rumours. Now it terrifies me!

5 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

There are better options out there, if we could pay a transfer fee. But on a free? 

A nominal transfer fee in the current market, maybe from the lower leagues or a loan player from higher up who will cost less in wages. I don't confess to knowing every player but there are bound to be prospects out there. Not the same position I know but I didn't have a clue who Ryan Kent was 3 years ago and I doubt many Barnsley fans did either at that time but he outshone more experienced players in their team and continues to progress his career since then.

Just think the wages could be better spent elsewhere as Cattermole's 'bite' hasn't been to the great benefit of his team as a whole for a long time.

18 minutes ago, Not Jon Newsome said:

Maybe there is, but Steve Bruce has 4 promotions and me and you have zero so I'll trust his judgment. 

Nothing to suggest that Cattermole is part of Bruce's plans as yet. I am hoping this rumour is as solid as the one about Bidwell. 

3 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

A nominal transfer fee in the current market, maybe from the lower leagues or a loan player from higher up who will cost less in wages. I don't confess to knowing every player but there are bound to be prospects out there. Not the same position I know but I didn't have a clue who Ryan Kent was 3 years ago and I doubt many Barnsley fans did either at that time but he outshone more experienced players in their team and continues to progress his career since then.

Just think the wages could be better spent elsewhere as Cattermole's 'bite' hasn't been to the great benefit of his team as a whole for a long time.

On the contrary look at what sunderland fans are saying and his tackling did improve their team. He’s only one man.

I think we will go for loans higher up the pitch and we have no idea what wage Cattermole would be on here. It won’t be what he was on at Sunderland. Bruce clearly likes Cattermole as it would be the third time he’s signed him and it will be as much for his experience and leadership which is not guaranteed from a young loan or a nominal fee elsewhere. When loovens and Wallace went we lost some good senior pros in the side and we saw the difference Westwood made last season. 

4 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Nothing to suggest that Cattermole is part of Bruce's plans as yet. I am hoping this rumour is as solid as the one about Bidwell. 

Cattermole, is a definite "Hope Not" from me. He didn't shine in league 1,we need some younger fitter legs in the engine room, not tired old lumps ready for the scrap yard..

As for bidwell I'd have taken him as I think he's better than fox and not a bad deal for free, but the general consensus seems he's signed for Swansea today anyway. 

1 hour ago, asteener1867 said:

The acid test for me is Sunderland don't want him.

They are a league below us...So I don't want him

Call me mardy..but thats all I go on

It's not they dont want him it's that they cant be paying his wages that hes on in league 1, reported to be around 35 -40k a week with them , I hope if hes joining us we are not paying anywhere near that

2 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

On the contrary look at what sunderland fans are saying and his tackling did improve their team. He’s only one man.

I think we will go for loans higher up the pitch and we have no idea what wage Cattermole would be on here. It won’t be what he was on at Sunderland. Bruce clearly likes Cattermole as it would be the third time he’s signed him and it will be as much for his experience and leadership which is not guaranteed from a young loan or a nominal fee elsewhere. When loovens and Wallace went we lost some good senior pros in the side and we saw the difference Westwood made last season. 

They have been slating him for seasons, they finally gave him some praise again at League One level. There wasn't a lot complimentary coming from Sunderland fans for his last season at this level.

Loovens was a top professional for us on and off the pitch and has good experience of being a winner. 

I keep hearing leadership being associated with Cattermole - what has his leadership helped to achieve? You don't get many people being spoken of as good leaders for being a leader in a team that repeatedly fails 

27 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

They have been slating him for seasons, they finally gave him some praise again at League One level. There wasn't a lot complimentary coming from Sunderland fans for his last season at this level.

Loovens was a top professional for us on and off the pitch and has good experience of being a winner. 

I keep hearing leadership being associated with Cattermole - what has his leadership helped to achieve? You don't get many people being spoken of as good leaders for being a leader in a team that repeatedly fails 

Slating him for seasons or they’re gutted he’s left. More evidence of the latter. I know and work with plenty of them and I can’t agree with the slating part. Sunderland has not been a happy place granted but no one expects a defensive midfielder to win games on their own.

Were going round in circles here. May aswell blame Kevin Pressman and des walker for our fall from grace (the latter going on to have a play off push with forest). Cattermole has played and captained at a higher level than loovens also.

I had heard earlier this summer he was in advanced stages of making a move here so we will have to see how it pans out. It can only get better from your position.

6 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

Slating him for seasons or they’re gutted he’s left. More evidence of the latter. I know and work with plenty of them and I can’t agree with the slating part. Sunderland has not been a happy place granted but no one expects a defensive midfielder to win games on their own.

Were going round in circles here. May aswell blame Kevin Pressman and des walker for our fall from grace (the latter going on to have a play off push with forest). Cattermole has played and captained at a higher level than loovens also.

I had heard earlier this summer he was in advanced stages of making a move here so we will have to see how it pans out. It can only get better from your position.

I quoted you a link with pages of their fans slating him yesterday and that was from the season before last. To now be gutted that he has left is more a reflection of where they are at because he finally had a decent season - at League One level. 

I can't abide Celtic but I would rather have Loovens career on my CV than pottering around the wrong end of the PL table with Sunderland for half a decade.

If he stood out as a good player in a poor Sunderland side for their years of struggle then why didn't anyone take him from them? What examples of good leadership has he shown?

10 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

I quoted you a link with pages of their fans slating him yesterday and that was from the season before last. To now be gutted that he has left is more a reflection of where they are at because he finally had a decent season - at League One level. 

I can't abide Celtic but I would rather have Loovens career on my CV than pottering around the wrong end of the PL table with Sunderland for half a decade.

If he stood out as a good player in a poor Sunderland side for their years of struggle then why didn't anyone take him from them? What examples of good leadership has he shown?

Each to their own. I don’t mind Celtic. But anyone choosing to play there rather than the premier league just wants he easy route.

You sent me links of fans being unhappy of him speeding in his car.

Good leadership/team player examples

https://mobile.twitter.com/bewarmers/status/1129685859383611393

One of the first to his team mates aid here

Yedlin seemed to think so

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/lee-cattermole-sunderlands-leader-relegation-11170132.amp

He talks about it here

https://www.thepfa.com/news/2019/3/12/the-big-interview-lee-cattermole

Some more recent ones

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/tbrfootball.com/true-leader-sunderland-fans-jump-to-lee-cattermoles-defence-despite-decisive-penalty-miss/amp/

and here under Di Canio

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/sunderland/10817760/Sunderlands-great-escape-was-down-to-tomato-ketchup-their-force-field-captain-and-Connor-Wickham.html

Edited by Bluesteel

11 minutes ago, Sultan_Pepper said:

14 pages..... Is there anything in this that make them with reading?

NO! That includes the time I've wasted posting. WTF:

16 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

Each to their own. I don’t mind Celtic. But anyone choosing to play there rather than the premier league just wants he easy route.

You sent me links of fans being unhappy of him speeding in his car.

Good leadership/team player examples

https://mobile.twitter.com/bewarmers/status/1129685859383611393

One of the first to his team mates aid here

Yedlin seemed to think so

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/lee-cattermole-sunderlands-leader-relegation-11170132.amp

He talks about it here

https://www.thepfa.com/news/2019/3/12/the-big-interview-lee-cattermole

Some more recent ones

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/tbrfootball.com/true-leader-sunderland-fans-jump-to-lee-cattermoles-defence-despite-decisive-penalty-miss/amp/

and here under Di Canio

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/sunderland/10817760/Sunderlands-great-escape-was-down-to-tomato-ketchup-their-force-field-captain-and-Connor-Wickham.html

So you've provided a clip of him helping out his team mate, fair enough, good on him.

Then a few links covering around 5 or 6 years of examples of him being a good captain - most of them involving relegation battles or failed EFL trophy finals and League One promotion bids. I wouldn't say that makes him a great leader.

I could find as many examples of fans and journo's being critical of him over the same period but as you say we are going round is circles.

Seeems he found a level he could succeed at to some degree last season.

If this move turns out to be true I will be delighted to revisit this thread and hold my hands up if he plays a significant part in us having a successful season. If we don't sign him I will be very surprised if he joins someone else with ambitions of finishing in the top 6 at this level next season and he helps them achieve that.

1 hour ago, hirstyboywonder said:

So you don't think there is any better option than an aging player who is described as a 'leader' - leading his team to consecutive relegations and a failed bid to get out of League One? Even with his pay off he will still command a wage that many younger prospects with a sell on value will not.

If Sunderland had a better player than LC.  Do you think the outcome would have been different?  From the outside it looks like Sunderland could've had Messi or Ronaldo and the result would have been the same. 

7 minutes ago, Sham67 said:

If Sunderland had a better player than LC.  Do you think the outcome would have been different?  From the outside it looks like Sunderland could've had Messi or Ronaldo and the result would have been the same. 

As I said, if he wasn't part of the problem but more of a good player stuck in a bad set up why didn't anyone better than Sunderland take him out of that situation during their annual seasons of failure.

25 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

So you've provided a clip of him helping out his team mate, fair enough, good on him.

Then a few links covering around 5 or 6 years of examples of him being a good captain - most of them involving relegation battles or failed EFL trophy finals and League One promotion bids. I wouldn't say that makes him a great leader.

I could find as many examples of fans and journo's being critical of him over the same period but as you say we are going round is circles.

Seeems he found a level he could succeed at to some degree last season.

If this move turns out to be true I will be delighted to revisit this thread and hold my hands up if he plays a significant part in us having a successful season. If we don't sign him I will be very surprised if he joins someone else with ambitions of finishing in the top 6 at this level next season and he helps them achieve that.

I have my eyes wide open about Cattermole and his short comings and the reasons why we are signing him rather than other players who cost a fee. No one else took him from Sunderland because he was on about 35-40k a week until now. 

But if you can’t see some of the qualities he could bring to the team when I’ve just provided you with multiple examples then there’s no point discussing it.

Edited by Bluesteel

56 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

As I said, if he wasn't part of the problem but more of a good player stuck in a bad set up why didn't anyone better than Sunderland take him out of that situation during their annual seasons of failure.

Wages probably. Same reason we can't shift players on.  He might be a good player but is he a £40k p.w. good player?  Probably not. Not good enough for the Premiership but good enough for top end Championship at the right price. Which isn't £40k p.w. He might be worth £15k p.w. to us. Maybe.

Just a guess at his wage. Insert whichever figure you prefer.