Lee Cattermole

1 hour ago, kendoddsdadsdogsdead said:

If this is to be believed, then my view is it smacks of playing 2 DM, possibly Hutch and Cattermole,  leaving Bannan to play further up the pitch. 

I have nothing to base this on, but have a feeling in my water (which I should probably get checked out), that we may adopt a 3-2-3-2 formation. 

Westwood

Lees Iorfa Borner

Hutch Cattermole

Odubajo Bannan Harris

Fletcher FF

Reach if still here may take either of the wider midfield positions. Purely speculation, with no actual factual information to base this on, but since when has that stopped posters on here :Sid:

I agree that Catermole can either be used as an alternative to Hutch or with him. As a defensive midfield duo, there will be greater scope for the fullbacks (in a back 4) or wing backs to get forward without worrying too much about leaving defensive gaps. 

We've had a number of older players who've come in and done a good job short term - Bobby Hope,  Mick Lyons, Viv Anderson, Trondt Soltvedt, Carlton Palmer, Tricky Trev. Even Jimmy Seed!

Bruce knows what he's doing so he deserves time to settle in if we sign him.

Star aren't too sure he's coming...he is quoted as saying, "For me personally, I don’t think China would suit me. But the MLS, Spain or Italy – that would be something I would be open to.”

https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/latest-owls-news/do-these-quotes-hint-at-the-next-destination-of-sheffield-wednesday-linked-lee-cattermole-398719

23 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

We've had a number of older players who've come in and done a good job short term - Bobby Hope,  Mick Lyons, Viv Anderson, Trondt Soltvedt, Carlton Palmer, Tricky Trev. Even Jimmy Seed!

Bruce knows what he's doing so he deserves time to settle in if we sign him.

Your memories of Carlton Palmer's 2nd spell and Soldvedt's time at Hillsborough appear to be a lot fonder than mine! 

20 minutes ago, Suzuki_San said:

Star aren't too sure he's coming...he is quoted as saying, "For me personally, I don’t think China would suit me. But the MLS, Spain or Italy – that would be something I would be open to.”

https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/latest-owls-news/do-these-quotes-hint-at-the-next-destination-of-sheffield-wednesday-linked-lee-cattermole-398719

From an interview in March speaking generally about his future, not sure any of what he said relates to what his intentions were/are for the next season.

6 hours ago, Anus said:

Cattermole hardly sets me buzzing, but given Bruce is the experienced rated manager between the pair of us, he must feel he will add to the team.

He may not even be interested in signing him, but for the papers an ex manager is an easy plausible rumour.

• Like 1

I think he'd be a viable backup option, if cheap enough, to come in for Hutchinson when he is injured or suspended, or just being rested.

Hes still receiving his Sunderland contract for 5 years now instead if 2, that's how he can walk. Instead of say 40k a week (approx 2m a year) he'll likely get a nice pay out of 200k every 3 months.

Would therefore accept a smaller wage?

4 minutes ago, asteener1867 said:

The acid test for me is Sunderland don't want him.

They are a league below us...So I don't want him

Call me mardy..but thats all I go on

Come on, you know football isn't as black and white as that. I go on the fact he's a better player than Pelupessy. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Not Jon Newsome said:

Come on, you know football isn't as black and white as that. I go on the fact he's a better player than Pelupessy

I'd say we should be aiming a bit higher than that as a basis for signing someone.

1 minute ago, hirstyboywonder said:

I'd say we should be aiming a bit higher than that as a basis for signing someone.

Replacing what we've already got with better is fair enough in my opinion, expecting anything else from a second division club with FFP issues is delusion. 

Edited by Not Jon Newsome

16 minutes ago, Not Jon Newsome said:

Replacing what we've already got with better is fair enough in my opinion, expecting anything else from a second division club with FFP issues is delusion. 

So you don't think there is any better option than an aging player who is described as a 'leader' - leading his team to consecutive relegations and a failed bid to get out of League One? Even with his pay off he will still command a wage that many younger prospects with a sell on value will not.

5 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

So you don't think there is any better option than an aging player who is described as a 'leader' - leading his team to consecutive relegations and a failed bid to get out of League One? Even with his pay off he will still command a wage that many younger prospects with a sell on value will not.

Maybe there is, but Steve Bruce has 4 promotions and me and you have zero so I'll trust his judgment. 

48 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Your memories of Carlton Palmer's 2nd spell and Soldvedt's time at Hillsborough appear to be a lot fonder than mine! 

And bobby hope , he was way past his best when he joined us

10 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

There are better options out there, if we could pay a transfer fee. But on a free? 

37 minutes ago, Not Jon Newsome said:

Come on, you know football isn't as black and white as that. I go on the fact he's a better player than Pelupessy. 

Black and white is fine for me mate...Once you start putting all the other shades in...you wander away from the facts lol

19 hours ago, Ash76 said:

Think you're going to be disappointed. Players in their final year of lucrative contracts do not try to engineer moves without having something lined up.

In those circumstances it makes perfect sense for it to be to a manager you have already have history with and is looking to improve midfield options.

Sorry but I believe bruce has bigger fish to fry, yes cattermole may have previous history with him but there is no sentiment in football.