Lee Cattermole

17 minutes ago, Sham67 said:

From a reliable source?  Not saying for a minute it hasn't happened.  He'd be a mug to turn down that sort of money.

Plenty of media reports say he was in Qatar for his medical a couple of weeks ago and scheduled to sign when his Newcastle contract expires. Reliable sources? Who knows, these days!

https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=8hwbXcLjGMSaa9LshpgF&q=mo+diame+qatar&oq=mo+diame+qatar&gs_l=psy-ab.3...1273.8428..8607...1.0..0.111.990.15j1......0....1..gws-wiz.....0..0j0i131j0i10j33i160j33i21.Zj3wEcrwBAM

From a personal approach, it would be a huge no from me. Never rated him as a player at all. Too rash and prone to nasty tackles and collecting more cards then Hutch (which many moan about) - we can do better personally in terms of age and ability.

From a Bruce perspective though I can see where he's coming from. Experienced player, has played in the prem and at multiple levels in the football league, combatitive, agressive and is available on a free transfer (wages permitting) ..

I wouldn't be overwhelmed by the signing .. would find it negative at first but if Bruce wants him, who am I or who are we to begrudge him. AND if he can get the best from him and he turns in to a pivotal figure (never know, 2 man midfield destroyers in Hutch and Cattermole) then so be

Much prefer Mo Diame wreaking havoc in there though. Would seriously spaff my kecks watching him and Hutch rampaging around the turf

His wages were reportedly £40,000 per year. If we are paying anything remotely like this to him a year I would not be in favour. Also any contract has to be short term. The fact Sunderalnd have agreed to cancel contract of one of their better players gives an indication that reports on wages were not far off mark.

Having said the above.

We lack know how on pitch and can see why Bruce is looking for somebody with this. We have quite a few seasoned professionals but few are leaders and sometimes this required to get players going when games drifting. If Bruce thinks his off field and on field presence is what squad requires I can accept situation as long as we are not being bled white.

22 minutes ago, Hack-Abusi said:

From a personal approach, it would be a huge no from me. Never rated him as a player at all. Too rash and prone to nasty tackles and collecting more cards then Hutch (which many moan about) - we can do better personally in terms of age and ability.

From a Bruce perspective though I can see where he's coming from. Experienced player, has played in the prem and at multiple levels in the football league, combatitive, agressive and is available on a free transfer (wages permitting) ..

I wouldn't be overwhelmed by the signing .. would find it negative at first but if Bruce wants him, who am I or who are we to begrudge him. AND if he can get the best from him and he turns in to a pivotal figure (never know, 2 man midfield destroyers in Hutch and Cattermole) then so be

Much prefer Mo Diame wreaking havoc in there though. Would seriously spaff my kecks watching him and Hutch rampaging around the turf

Actually over their careers, Cattermole has a slightly better overall disciplinary record than Hutchinson.

Hutchinson averages a yellow card every 3.2 appearances compared to Cattermole's 3.1 and a red card every 29 appearances compared to Cattermole's 42.8

Also bear in mind how many of Hutch's appearances were shortened by injuries which means Cattermole's record per minutes on the pitch will be far better.

7 minutes ago, Big Jack said:

If SB wants him thats good enough for me.

Why appoint a top manager and then doubt his judgement!!

Cattermole hardly sets me buzzing, but given Bruce is the experienced rated manager between the pair of us, he must feel he will add to the team.

Mate who is a Sunderland ST holder said he'll be a big miss for them but they needed his wages off the books.  Always gave 100% and fully committed to the team.  Fans respected Cattermole as he didn't jump ship through the relegations.  He felt that Cattermole took the relegations to heart and wanted to put it right by getting them back up into the Championship.  All in all the weight of this pressure probably took it's toll on him and after the heartbreak of losing the playoff final it was probably right thing for him to move on.

Great pro, leader and positive influence in the dressing room.  Only concern is the pace of the Championship could be too much for him now and doubtful he'd operate effectively in a 2.  At the base of a 3 man midfield he'd be fine.

• Thanks 1

On the topic of Cattermole as an

enforcer, people are comparing his disciplinary record with that of Hutch. Whilst I admit that up to Bruce's take-over, Hutchin son seemed to be a certain yellow card per game. Since his latest injury, this has improved tremendously. The one most 'at risk' of the perpetual yellow has now become Bannan, who, immediately after picking up a suspension for accumulated bookings, was promptly Yellowed in his next game, and seems to be averaging a yellow every 1.2 games  

If this is to be believed, then my view is it smacks of playing 2 DM, possibly Hutch and Cattermole,  leaving Bannan to play further up the pitch. 

I have nothing to base this on, but have a feeling in my water (which I should probably get checked out), that we may adopt a 3-2-3-2 formation. 

Westwood

Lees Iorfa Borner

Hutch Cattermole

Odubajo Bannan Harris

Fletcher FF

Reach if still here may take either of the wider midfield positions. Purely speculation, with no actual factual information to base this on, but since when has that stopped posters on here :Sid:

At his peak I rated him pretty highly, his occasional silliness aside, at 31? Not sure if he's still what he once was but if he's the trialist there it's only a trial, Bruce wouldn't offer him a contract if he didn't think he offered something, one thing I've noticed over the years is he's a much better passer than he ever gets credit for.

6 hours ago, Quist said:

His wages were reportedly £40,000 per year. If we are paying anything remotely like this to him a year I would not be in favour. Also any contract has to be short term. The fact Sunderalnd have agreed to cancel contract of one of their better players gives an indication that reports on wages were not far off mark.

Having said the above.

We lack know how on pitch and can see why Bruce is looking for somebody with this. We have quite a few seasoned professionals but few are leaders and sometimes this required to get players going when games drifting. If Bruce thinks his off field and on field presence is what squad requires I can accept situation as long as we are not being bled white.

At 40k a year , id definetly sign him.