Our best converted position player

6 hours ago, HIGHERSTATE said:

Get Warhurst on't blower..He needs to be number one priority for the prize draw next season so we can show that we forgive him for being a mardy git.

They should do an Owl Sanctuary with him.

Would be interesting to hear his perspective.

51 minutes ago, steelerian said:

Wednesday had the most exciting striker in the country, bar none. Got injured upon England call up.

Epic times.

Can you imagine such an occasion now? We would all literally wet our collective panties. Or spunk them. Either/or.

The most exciting striker in the country bar none? For a couple of months maybe and that was about it tbh. People forget that the majority of his goals were in the cups and he didn't score many in the league. He scored twice as many goals in the cups as he did the league.

Interesting fact - despite our blue tinted memories thanks to some important cup goals in his hot streak in February and March when he scored in I think 7 games in a row, in that "amazing" season he actually scored just 6 league goals (4 of which were in that streak) the same number as the legendary Nicky Banger, and was only the joint 56th highest scorer in the league!

On 01/07/2019 at 18:44, 31Dec1966 said:

younger fans won't understand the excitement when Warhurst went up front and started scoring freely. he was signed as a defender after a superb Bobby moore like performance for Oldham. He was good there but when he was converted to striker he was so good he was on the verge of playing for England. Then we had the mardiness of the Cup final and his career declined. But for a time we had the scoring sensation of the country.

Not sure about Bobby Moore like - he was playing RB for Oldham wasnt he?

Warhurst had few of the attributes a striker might have, and his awareness of others was shocking What he had though, was great speed and an uncanny ability to score goals from any angle He often caught keepers unaware, shooting in at the near post when normally you would go across the keeper to the far post. When paired with Hirsty, everybody thought, with their pace and power, they’d be a real handful They barely scored a goal

1 hour ago, BigBlueDan said:

Graeme Lee, He was played up front once from the kick off 

I remember that act of desperation. It was a Friday night game on Sky iirc, manybe Port Vale or Coventry?

Needless to say he didn't score. Think he'd played as a striker against a non league team in pre season and scored a hat trick.

2 hours ago, alanharper said:

I remember that act of desperation. It was a Friday night game on Sky iirc, manybe Port Vale or Coventry?

Needless to say he didn't score. Think he'd played as a striker against a non league team in pre season and scored a hat trick.

It was definitely a night match. He didn't have a shot

On 01/07/2019 at 18:46, Mycroft said:

For impact it has to be Warhurst, he was a revelation as a striker for a season or so.  

He made it look so easy at centre back, even easier at centre forward. 

I think Colin Hendry will still have nightmares about those 2 goals at Ewood.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, gurujuan said:

Warhurst had few of the attributes a striker might have, and his awareness of others was shocking What he had though, was great speed and an uncanny ability to score goals from any angle He often caught keepers unaware, shooting in at the near post when normally you would go across the keeper to the far post. When paired with Hirsty, everybody thought, with their pace and power, they’d be a real handful They barely scored a goal

Didn't other stuff get in the way?

Sterland for me,I saw him play in an end of season game v Hull and he was poor in MF,but big JC transformed him into a cavalier RB,was a stroke of genius from bigJ,talkabout a re birth,he was one of the finest in that position for us in my time watching.

Warhurst is up there,but he developed an attitude from his success,but Gerry Young was a close 2nd,he played allover for us,even scored a hatrick in europe as a centre foreward,but he converted to half back with ease.

Hickton was another from times gone by,CB that played as a striker and a VERY good one,saw his hatrick against Arsenal at s6,scored 160 goals once he left us

• Like 1