Our best converted position player

Another vote for Warhurst, was pretty mental at the time, unreal turn of pace and eye for goal.

Would probably say Lee comes a close second, from an ok right back to a midfield maestro that i really wish would have had a chance of plsying in the premier league (for us of course!).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Burnsie said:

Who is it?

Warhurst from defender to striker?

Lee from RB to CM?

Hutch from CB to CM?

Buxton from CB to RB?

Bullen from CB to LB, RB, LM, CM, RM, ST, GK??

One for the oldies.

Gerry Young from centre forward to defensive midfielder.

• Like 1

I'll add another player to this, Gerald Sibon

Originally signed as a striker and was completely useless in the premiership. Then we went down a division and continued to be a poor performer up front.

Then I think Paul Jewell had a word and started playing him on the right wing. All of a sudden, his form started to improve and became a far better player in a very poor team.

Our strikers up front were often Booth and Ekoku until Booth left and then we often played Simon Donnelly up front. Sibon on the right was a far better player in that position and became more popular with the fans than he was before the 1-0 win over Birmingham when Harkness scored.

Edited by katie melua

Warhurst in my time watching Wednesday.

Complete unpredictability of him having the ball with literally one thing on his mind, to bang it in the back of the net as hard as he could.

12 goals in as many games when he went up front, that just wouldn't happen these days. 

Francis made the right call in selling him on when he throw the toys out of the pram after being told to go back to being a defender............the run had come to an end.

Look at the 2 goals v Blackburn, the shoulder drop for his 1st is just as a front man would go 1v1 on a defender. The 2nd goal is about as famous a goal as I've ever seen. (crutches man!)

• Like 4

1 hour ago, flo said:

We should sign a Swiss guy who can play in many positions so we can call him Swiss army knife. 

I remember ringing clubcall in the 90s and it said to hold on the line to find out about a major Swiss international capture. After listening to numerous Intertoto Cup reports, interviews and various other rumours, it turned out to be one of the iconic versatile Yakin brothers. Was excited about that until the mandatory clip across the ear when the phone bill arrived. :Sid:

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, WatfordOwl said:

Warhurst in my time watching Wednesday.

Complete unpredictability of him having the ball with literally one thing on his mind, to bang it in the back of the net as hard as he could.

12 goals in as many games when he went up front, that just wouldn't happen these days. 

Francis made the right call in selling him on when he throw the toys out of the pram after being told to go back to being a defender............the run had come to an end.

Look at the 2 goals v Blackburn, the shoulder drop for his 1st is just as a front man would go 1v1 on a defender. The 2nd goal is about as famous a goal as I've ever seen. (crutches man!)

That was one of my favourite Wednesday performances when I were a kid. During that mad spell in the first half, when everything looked like going in, we looked like world-beaters. I was convinced during that game, it were our season and we'd win both Cup's. Such a mad season. At times we were brilliant to watch but sometimes we were frustrating, with the mistakes and late goals. It was such an exciting time to be a young Wednesday fan, just so heartbreaking the way it all ended but we were so lucky to have witnessed that era.

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, The Night-Owl said:

I remember ringing clubcall in the 90s and it said to hold on the line to find out about a major Swiss international capture. After listening to numerous Intertoto Cup reports, interviews and various other rumours, it turned out to be one of the iconic versatile Yakin brothers. Was excited about that until the mandatory clip across the ear when the phone bill arrived. :Sid:

You shouldn't let your wife treat you like that. 

• Haha 1

Personally Reda Johnson's conversion from centre back to left back was a massive (very appropriate word) reason why we got promoted in 2012. It allowed us to keep him in the team, a huge threat from set pieces along with the likes of Rob Jones, Danny Batth and Miguel Llera while also having the defensive prowess at that level.

He won us some huge points and personally it went underrated. Plus he's a top fella as well.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, prowl said:

Warhurst by a country mile.

Sorry but can't agree.

Warhurst did it for three months, and was then transferred and never replicated that form again.

Sterland was an absolute stalwart for the club for years after his conversion. Has to be Mel, no one else comes close.

10 hours ago, 31Dec1966 said:

younger fans won't understand the excitement when Warhurst went up front and started scoring freely. he was signed as a defender after a superb Bobby moore like performance for Oldham. He was good there but when he was converted to striker he was so good he was on the verge of playing for England. Then we had the mardiness of the Cup final and his career declined. But for a time we had the scoring sensation of the country.

The Warhurst conversion was bonkers. He had pace to burn we all knew that but then to be banging them in from all angles, left foot, right foot and getting England call up as a striker is insane. 

If our CB's hadn't got injured and we'd have had him up front we'd have won the FA Cup v Arse am sure of it. He gave Adams a bit of a roasting once or twice in League Cup final, hit post from memory. 

Glory days! 

14 hours ago, Burnsie said:

Who is it?

Warhurst from defender to striker?

Lee from RB to CM?

Hutch from CB to CM?

Buxton from CB to RB?

Bullen from CB to LB, RB, LM, CM, RM, ST, GK??

To be fair, Lee wasn't really converted from RB to CM. He started at Man Utd as a CM and went to Oldham as a CM. Oldham played him as an emergency RB and when Dave Jones bought him he must have thought he was a RB. My guess is that Stuart Gray realised that Lee was (let's face it) a bloody awful RB,did some research and them played Lee in his natural position. 

12 hours ago, damianb1 said:

From memory Palmer did play against Papin for England but it was against France in Euros in 92. IIRC it was the same match when Basile Boli nutted Stuart Pearce. Again IIRC Palmer played v well at centre half and on one occasion he was playing out from the back and had no options to receive a pass from him, Papin was closing him down and Carlton went to play it, Papin tried to block it and Carlton  Cryuff turned away from him. Legend for that alone!

Palmer got MOM for this game and so he should as he had the holder of the ballon d`or no less in his pocket.

He was also voted Englands player of the tournament by the travelling England fans , but yeah he should always be in the worst England XI ever , just ask any southern journalist  :rolleyes:

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, sheriwozgod said:

Palmer got MOM for this game and so he should as he had the holder of the ballon d`or no less in his pocket.

He was also voted Englands player of the tournament by the travelling England fans , but yeah he should always be in the worst England XI ever , just ask any southern journalist  :rolleyes:

I always remember the clip from "Do I Not Like That" (the Graham Taylor documentary, later parodied brilliantly by Ricky Tomlinson and Bradley Walsh in "Mike Bassett - England Manager") when Taylor is is sat on the bench with his parrot, Phil Neal, and he's having a go at Palmer for being out of position...

"What's 'e doin'?... He's in the box.... I've told him... How many times have I told him?.... How many...." (Graham Taylor)

"'e's scored, boss" (Phil Neal)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, sheriwozgod said:

just off the top of my head (depending on if you thought Carlton`s best position was CB or CM ) i can think of half a dozen players who have won caps just in the last 3 years that are not fit to lace Palmer`s boots...................ie  Ryan Mason, Jack Cork, Jake Livermore, Lewis Dunk, James Tarkowski, Nathaniel Chalobah

Edited by sheriwozgod

20 hours ago, 31Dec1966 said:

younger fans won't understand the excitement when Warhurst went up front and started scoring freely. he was signed as a defender after a superb Bobby moore like performance for Oldham. He was good there but when he was converted to striker he was so good he was on the verge of playing for England. Then we had the mardiness of the Cup final and his career declined. But for a time we had the scoring sensation of the country.

This.

Wednesday had the most exciting striker in the country, bar none. Got injured upon England call up.

Epic times.

Can you imagine such an occasion now? We would all literally wet our collective panties. Or spunk them. Either/or.