Bruce says he’s after 3-4 more signings this window. What positions do we think he’s going for? My guesses*:

Left back (a must as Fox isn’t good enough, Palmer can’t be the long term answer and harsh to pin everything on Penney)

Centre back (obvs top priority is Hector but if we don’t get him I think we’ll turn attention elsewhere, Lees is obvs first choice but big question over who would partner him as things stand, Thorniley is solid but not outstanding, Borner and unknown quality and will JVA ever make it?)

Winger (Bruce has publicly said the squad is lopsided with few wide players. Probably Reach and Harris are now first choice and Odobuji as back up so need one more)

Centre mid (look a bit lightweight here, Hutchinson and Bannan are fine as first choice but after that we’ll struggle especially as we’ve no idea if Lee will get back to anything like his best)

* obvs this is assuming, which I think we can, that Moses, Borner and Harris are all signed up ok

I know he has said 3 or 4 more but I think there will be more IF he can move a few out.

But lets say 4, with what he was saying yesterday it will have to be LB 2 Wingers and a CM. I know if we can get Hector back we will but If we cant I think Borner is the replacement.

And if he could get who he wants I think it will be:

LB - Lazaar Loan or Perm

CM - Onomah perm deal

Winger -  Aarons Perm deal

Winger - Unknown but could imagine a youth from one of the big clubs.

But like I say I think if he can get some out he will want more than another 4.

9 minutes ago, beloved_aunt said:

Bruce says he’s after 3-4 more signings this window. What positions do we think he’s going for? My guesses*:

Left back (a must as Fox isn’t good enough, Palmer can’t be the long term answer and harsh to pin everything on Penney)

Centre back (obvs top priority is Hector but if we don’t get him I think we’ll turn attention elsewhere, Lees is obvs first choice but big question over who would partner him as things stand, Thorniley is solid but not outstanding, Borner and unknown quality and will JVA ever make it?)

Winger (Bruce has publicly said the squad is lopsided with few wide players. Probably Reach and Harris are now first choice and Odobuji as back up so need one more)

Centre mid (look a bit lightweight here, Hutchinson and Bannan are fine as first choice but after that we’ll struggle especially as we’ve no idea if Lee will get back to anything like his best)

* obvs this is assuming, which I think we can, that Moses, Borner and Harris are all signed up ok

i'm worried atm we appear to be moving not much out of any worth.

6 minutes ago, beloved_aunt said:

I think the '3 or 4' more is based on Hector coming back, if not we'll be okay to start the season with 3 more, as with Odujabo signing and Palmer re-signed, we have Iorfa as a CB option too. So we have 5 players who can play there. Hector would be a bonus but I don't even think we're actively after another CB personally.

Left back, definitely need to improve, could be a big year for Penney but we don't know for sure how many games he'll be available for after a serious injury. Bidwell would be a good addition in our budget.

That leaves 2 more players, Winger & CM. Probably looking at loan market.

CM really bothers me

Hutch Lee Bannan Peluppessy. 

That's not a promotion winning centre mid, even assuming we get 46 games out of Hutch and Lee combined. We'll play some ok football but get seriously bullied by the big teams......again.

Lesson not been learned for 3 seasons, will Bruce sort this out?  

• Like 1

Depends where he sees Odubajo playing. Potentially he may be our Left Back next season. Or if he’s our Right Back then we’ve got Iorfa for Centre Back.

We desperatley need a top quality Centre Midfielder to compete with Hutchinson.

We still need another winger too and a fast forward. 

5 minutes ago, dorian gray said:

i'm worried atm we appear to be moving not much out of any worth.

We have to get people interested that's the problem. As Bruce said he's spoken to Norwich but at the moment there is no bid. I know you can push to move players on and I am sure were doing that but we have had 2 years of garbage, there are not many who will be attractive to others. The only 2 really are reach and bannan.

2 minutes ago, briggowl said:

CM really bothers me

Hutch Lee Bannan Peluppessy. 

That's not a promotion winning centre mid, even assuming we get 46 games out of Hutch and Lee combined. We'll play some ok football but get seriously bullied by the big teams......again.

Lesson not been learned for 3 seasons, will Bruce sort this out?  

Totally agree. this is a key area we need to strengthen. Hutch is key when he plays but we know he wont play 46 games. Lee if he is fit is again key but after 2 years of not playing he is unlikely to play as much as we want. Bannan is reliable fitness wise so no worries there but Pelupessy is not good enough and will hopefully be moved on.

I would like to see at least 2 CM players come in if I'm honest. 

Just now, Dutch McLovin said:

Totally agree. this is a key area we need to strengthen. Hutch is key when he plays but we know he wont play 46 games. Lee if he is fit is again key but after 2 years of not playing he is unlikely to play as much as we want. Bannan is reliable fitness wise so no worries there but Pelupessy is not good enough and will hopefully be moved on.

I would like to see at least 2 CM players come in if I'm honest. 

Kind of depends what formation we're going to play.  If its just two in the middle then Hutch and Bannan will be first choice, and one more signing will probably give competition.  If we're going to play some version of three in the middle (3-5-2, 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1) we probably need another couple.

I think we have budget for Onomah and Hector (subject to reasonable valuations and possibly a sale or two), if not they could come on loan with a view to buy clause.

Aarons is being considered, so were looking for another wide player?

In addition, a CM/CDM probably a target, judging by recent rumours and wouldn't be surprised if we want another forward to compete with Fletcher, preferably with pace to offer something different.

My guess, assuming Bidwell a done deal:

Onomah on a permanent deal

Hector on loan with a view to buy clause

Aarons or similar loan

CDM loan

CF loan

Edited by striker

46 minutes ago, Not Jon Newsome said:

I think we need a centre back, left back, 2 midfielders and one more wide man. But depends on what system Bruce will use, he didn't play with wingers at Hull. 

Yes he has played 3-5-2 quite a bit in his career, which for the last season or two would've suited our squad quite well as we were always shoe horning a centre mid onto the flanks to fit three good CMs in and had to play two up front as we had so many strikers.

I think this is a system Bruce might look to at times next year, but all his comments about the squad being top heavy with forwards but no wingers and signing of Harris makes me pretty sure he'll at least start the season with wingers in a 4-4-2 or 4-2-3-1.

1 hour ago, beloved_aunt said:

Kind of depends what formation we're going to play.  If its just two in the middle then Hutch and Bannan will be first choice, and one more signing will probably give competition.  If we're going to play some version of three in the middle (3-5-2, 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1) we probably need another couple.

Yeah a lot depends on the formation and the Left Back situation IMO. I could see us using Bannan LM like Carlos did if we get a good left back in or Penney fulfils his promise. Allowing Bannan to drift inside as he used to do (I know he tried this early in his tenure and said we wouldn't do it in a hurry but he had no CM that game) a fit Lee and Hutch or new midfielder would allow him to use this.

15 minutes ago, Dutch McLovin said:

Yeah a lot depends on the formation and the Left Back situation IMO. I could see us using Bannan LM like Carlos did if we get a good left back in or Penney fulfils his promise. Allowing Bannan to drift inside as he used to do (I know he tried this early in his tenure and said we wouldn't do it in a hurry but he had no CM that game) a fit Lee and Hutch or new midfielder would allow him to use this.

If you play 3 in the middle you usually want a tackler, a runner and a passer to make the perfect blend.  Hutch can obviously be the tackler and Bannan the passer but unless Lee gets back to his best (I'm sceptical unfortunately) we don't have the runner who can break the lines and get into the box ahead of the strikers.  Wonder if that the mould of player we seek to bring in. 

1 hour ago, S72 Owl said:

Depends where he sees Odubajo playing. Potentially he may be our Left Back next season. Or if he’s our Right Back then we’ve got Iorfa for Centre Back.

I'm not so sure...out of his near 240 games, he's only played LB 11 times, less than 5%.  

In 15/16 under Bruce, when he played pretty much a full season (53 games), he played RB 46 times.  I think it's safe to say that's where he's going to be, IMO behind Reach/Harris.  

5 minutes ago, Suzuki_San said:

I'm not so sure...out of his near 240 games, he's only played LB 11 times, less than 5%.  

In 15/16 under Bruce, when he played pretty much a full season (53 games), he played RB 46 times.  I think it's safe to say that's where he's going to be, IMO behind Reach/Harris.  

He did play LW a lot for Brentford last season though. It’s anybodys guess really though.

But if he is going to Play Right Back then I can see Iorfa been at CB, which then gives us 4 CBS. (5 including JVA)

7 minutes ago, Suzuki_San said:

While RB is the position he's most known for, he played the majority of last season as a LWB for Brentford. I wouldn't rule out SB using him in a similar role for us.

Edited by mogbad