Old memorabilia

49 minutes ago, Harrysgame said:

No wasnt having a go. Started going in 72 when I was 3 with my dad. Seem to remember spending most of my time running around on the empty terraces at Lepp end (must have allowed home fans then) no fences. In fairness football was all new to be at that age so positive is that I didn't realise we were that bad. 

Do remember some decrepid away grounds old Walsall seems to stick in my mind for some reason. Mick Prendergast was my first idol.

Haha - the problem with the internet! I didn't think you were having a go :)

The book tries to 'reclaim' the period a little. Yes the team were poor, but still plenty to remember well. If nothing else,  the 7000 or so who kept going through the darkest times should get a medal!

12 hours ago, Bearwood Owl1 said:

Haha - the problem with the internet! I didn't think you were having a go :)

The book tries to 'reclaim' the period a little. Yes the team were poor, but still plenty to remember well. If nothing else,  the 7000 or so who kept going through the darkest times should get a medal!

John - this was my season ticket from 1976-77 so imagine that is after the subject of your book.  I have the previous 2 seasons somewhere I'll have a look.  Anyway it cost an immense £16.00 - for the season - think my Dads was £32.00.  Was quite thick was there were a load of Cup Tie vouchers within- not that we used them for Wednesday very often though I did go to a couple of semi finals and the League Cup Final replay. Other thing I remember that you fnas where deemed to be an adult atthe gate at 14! didn't stop blokes with taches and full beards getting through.  The other bizarre thing and obviosly in 7,000-8,000 crowds with no fences tickets for that Lepp stand allowed you to go and stand up and the terrace if you wanted to - I used to leave my Dad and go and stand down the bottom - so absolutely no crowd control. !

post-513-1216885762_thumb.jpg.9060c5805a026cf210175b6593d8b0f4.jpg.cdf6cbc7576edf2b8810ee67ee19be3c.jpg

2 hours ago, dunsbyowl said:

John - this was my season ticket from 1976-77 so imagine that is after the subject of your book.  I have the previous 2 seasons somewhere I'll have a look.  Anyway it cost an immense £16.00 - for the season - think my Dads was £32.00.  Was quite thick was there were a load of Cup Tie vouchers within- not that we used them for Wednesday very often though I did go to a couple of semi finals and the League Cup Final replay. Other thing I remember that you fnas where deemed to be an adult atthe gate at 14! didn't stop blokes with taches and full beards getting through.  The other bizarre thing and obviosly in 7,000-8,000 crowds with no fences tickets for that Lepp stand allowed you to go and stand up and the terrace if you wanted to - I used to leave my Dad and go and stand down the bottom - so absolutely no crowd control. !

post-513-1216885762_thumb.jpg.9060c5805a026cf210175b6593d8b0f4.jpg.cdf6cbc7576edf2b8810ee67ee19be3c.jpg

Great stuff!

I did find one season ticket on the Internet- but can't find its owner. 

I'm coming up to writing about the stadium next - the stands and fans experience in them. No segregation, limited crowd control, Kop score board, trees on the Kop,  North stand cushions all on my list :)

11258356825_5c1c070132_b.jpg