Jordan Hugill

Guest oz_owl
38 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Is he any good? 

He's a bit like Nuhiu.  More likely to score.  Less likely to control the ball.  Less attractive to the ladies.

Don't see the point in another target man, already got Fletcher and Nuhiu. If Fletcher stays fit he gets double figures as he's proved, Nuhiu is a more than good enough bench option. If we are going for a striker we need a more mobile pacey type who can get in behind, and before we think of doing that one if not both Winnall or Rhodes need moving on.

Guest wilyfox
14 minutes ago, Not Jon Newsome said:

Don't see the point in another target man, already got Fletcher and Nuhiu. If Fletcher stays fit he gets double figures as he's proved, Nuhiu is a more than good enough bench option. If we are going for a striker we need a more mobile pacey type who can get in behind, and before we think of doing that one if not both Winnall or Rhodes need moving on.

Fletcher is 32 and patched up most weeks. Nuhiu as mobile as a wardrobe. It's clear that Bruce wants to press from the front. That'll break Fletcher over 46 games. With Atdhe chasing shadows, he's better coming off the bench latter stages. Hugill would be a younger, mobile, and more robust option. 

Guest oz_owl
20 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

Fletcher is 32 and patched up most weeks. Nuhiu as mobile as a wardrobe. It's clear that Bruce wants to press from the front. That'll break Fletcher over 46 games. With Atdhe chasing shadows, he's better coming off the bench latter stages. Hugill would be a younger, mobile, and more robust option. 

I've seen a lot of Hugill and you're a little optimistic about what he would offer.  He's the sort of player you'd be happy to pick up on the cheap (or free) and get an unexpectedly good half a season out of.  A bit like Leon Clarke.  He was a bizarre signing for West Ham (I know many PNE fans, and they were all over the moon about Agent Moyes bringing them a windfall).

Maybe Bruce can get more out of him, but there should be better (and likely cheaper) options out there for us.

Guest wilyfox
35 minutes ago, oz_owl said:

I've seen a lot of Hugill and you're a little optimistic about what he would offer.  He's the sort of player you'd be happy to pick up on the cheap (or free) and get an unexpectedly good half a season out of.  A bit like Leon Clarke.  He was a bizarre signing for West Ham (I know many PNE fans, and they were all over the moon about Agent Moyes bringing them a windfall).

Maybe Bruce can get more out of him, but there should be better (and likely cheaper) options out there for us.

Perhaps, but he reminds me of Chris Wood a little. Strong, mobile, good in the air, can finish, runs the channels. It came good for him at Leeds after bits & pieces elsewhere, and I just feel in the right team it may click for Hugill. If Bruce does want the option of playing a lone striker, they need specific qualities - and Hugill is the type. 

1 hour ago, wilyfox said:

Joao?

1 minute ago, JackSWFC said:

Joao is about as robust as a wet paper towel. Someone his size should be able to bully center halves, but he only has to get half a clattering and he will keep quiet the rest of the game.

Probably a fair description, robust he isn’t, but he does have other attributes to help make amends What it boils down to is, what do we want from our striker If we want someone to just go in and battle the centre backs, then Fletcher or Hugill can do that. It’s all a bit basic though, and it’s no coincidence that all the best sides in the division have ditched that way of playing. Neither Norwich, United or Villa, use that type of player, and I actually find it quite embarrassing that we continue to do so

Guest wilyfox
1 hour ago, beloved_aunt said:

Joao?

34 minutes ago, JackSWFC said:

Joao is about as robust as a wet paper towel. Someone his size should be able to bully center halves, but he only has to get half a clattering and he will keep quiet the rest of the game.

Exactly that ^^^

He's too soft, and managers question him. Carlos said we lost Joao's head in the clouds, and Bruce has said he wants Joao "right between the ears". Those aren't compliments. 

Guest oz_owl
1 hour ago, wilyfox said:

Perhaps, but he reminds me of Chris Wood a little. Strong, mobile, good in the air, can finish, runs the channels. It came good for him at Leeds after bits & pieces elsewhere, and I just feel in the right team it may click for Hugill. If Bruce does want the option of playing a lone striker, they need specific qualities - and Hugill is the type. 

Understand the comparison, but Wood is a much better player (and was a much better prospect when he was younger).  Wood had scored more goals at Championship level by the time he was 23 than Hugill has in his career (they are both the same age).  That was before Wood hit his stride with Leeds and scored another 40 in 2 seasons.

4 hours ago, Groundhopping Owl said:

Nixon’s said we’re looking at him too.

I’d only want us to bring him in if we’re able to ship out probably three of our current strikers, we’re ridiculously top-heavy as it is.

This 

we need to start shifting people out 

Guest wilyfox
3 minutes ago, oz_owl said:

Understand the comparison, but Wood is a much better player (and was a much better prospect when he was younger).  Wood had scored more goals at Championship level by the time he was 23 than Hugill has in his career (they are both the same age).  That was before Wood hit his stride with Leeds and scored another 40 in 2 seasons.

Don't forget Hugill only turned pro in his early 20s. He started late. I'm not disputing Wood is the better player, but Hugill has similar facets.