Terry Curran, Superstar.

7 hours ago, bladeshater said:

Curran wasn't getting a game time with Southampton 

Vardy is a top class international player at the top of his game I think it's a poor comparison 

Made 26 appearances in his one season at Southampton, by March, and his last game, or one of his last games anyway, was the League Cup Final.

2 hours ago, The Claw said:

Curran, he was the man. Stood on Stainrods toes at bumhole stain. the massive worshiped him when he was sent off at Holdham the lot went..............

Kenworthy

2 hours ago, Musn't Grumble said:

I vaguely remember that there was talk that Curran was on standby for the England squad, a rare occasion that a player form the third tier had been called up. The only other player in modern times called up to the full England squad was Peter Taylor who was then playing for Crystal Palace in the old Third Division so even talk of Curran being called up showed how good he was for a couple of seasons.

I think that was later in 1981 when we started the season with the good run and Match of the Day covered us against Luton and TC ripped them apart. Remember Jimmy Hill saying England could do worst than calling up TC for the team.

I think Steve Bull was playing for Wolves in the third tier when he played for England in the home internationals around 88 time.

8 hours ago, bladeshater said:

Curran wasn't getting a game time with Southampton 

Vardy is a top class international player at the top of his game I think it's a poor comparison 

You’ve got your facts wrong

Curran was a regular for Southampton, he played in the league cup final for them

He then told them he was signing for us on less money, their manager at the time refused to play him after that

You can say what you like about the comparison

A lot of players claim to be Wednesdayites, but none are willing to do what Curran did and put their love of the club in front of their bank balance

I’d have played for Wednesday for nowt

You can keep your Vardy’s, Cahill’s, and McGuire’s, in a few years none will be remembered, none will be Wednesday legends

Curran is a Wednesday legend

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

6 hours ago, Animis said:

I think that was later in 1981 when we started the season with the good run and Match of the Day covered us against Luton and TC ripped them apart. Remember Jimmy Hill saying England could do worst than calling up TC for the team.

I think Steve Bull was playing for Wolves in the third tier when he played for England in the home internationals around 88 time.

Thats how I remember it. Curran was on fire and Jimmy Hill did indeed say the above.  He was right too, TC was such a mercurial character that he could well have played well for England at that time.

• Like 1

On 16/06/2019 at 22:59, S36 OWL said:

See the source image

love this photo, I remember him doing it, I was stood just to the left of this shot.

What a player, so many good memories of him, taunting the pigs on boxing day, the screamer he scored at the lane and stamping on tony kenworthys toes and then laughing at him. I remember him having a wager with Jack Charlton, Jack saying he would pay him £50 for every headed goal he scored, next game he scored with a header at Grimsby and then a few games later, rounded the keeper sank to his knees and nodded the ball over the line. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, matt68owls said:

love this photo, I remember him doing it, I was stood just to the left of this shot.

What a player, so many good memories of him, taunting the pigs on boxing day, the screamer he scored at the lane and stamping on tony kenworthys toes and then laughing at him. I remember him having a wager with Jack Charlton, Jack saying he would pay him £50 for every headed goal he scored, next game he scored with a header at Grimsby and then a few games later, rounded the keeper sank to his knees and nodded the ball over the line. 

Image result for the man the legend

I were once in that bastion of a class nightclub Josephines back in the day, pissed out of my head having the usual crap night when I spots Terry with some very attractive blonde having a meal, I couldn't believe it, there he was, my hero!  So I shoved my head through the bars, a bit like Jack Nicholson in The Shining and shouts "I love you Terry, I love you".  God knows what him and his lady friend thought but he just smiled and nodded, very cool he was.  It made me night.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, torryowl said:

had a very  good couple of seasons but for some reason his  standards dropped in his final season and was overshadowed by banno  …...

Curran was brilliant for us and orchestrated our promtion and subsequent rise,once Bannister was signed Currans days were numbered here,banno was quicker and sharper

6 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

Never forgive him for walking out and joining the Blunts. Only went sour because he was booed by their fans home and away despite playing his heart out. 

Let it go.

Forgiveness is cathartic.

Remember how good he made you feel. 

Remember the good time. 

His autobiography is an entertaining read, but only if you are Wednesday fan.

One if the best games that I saw him play was away at Luton in the old second division.

He took the wee wee out of the Luton back four all afternoon.

People were calling for him to be picked for England after that match.

Had the wonderful honour of playing alongside Terry Curran in a charity match at Hillsborough about 15 years ago. Poor bloke wasn't very fit. For all he was concerned, we might well have been playing in a Champions League Final such was his commitment and he ran his legs off before being helped off the field just after half time.

I also played alongside David Hirst in a similar fixture. He played the game in exactly the same spirit. It was friendly but I remember having to calm him down at half time to stop him biffing the opposition centre half.

Two stories that will be told to my grand kids many times as they grow up, no doubt!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Nigel Farage said:

Let it go.

Forgiveness is cathartic.

Remember how good he made you feel. 

Remember the good time. 

Follow him on Facebook and you'll be wanting to strangle him. Odd bloke

lol