Kieran Lee

1 hour ago, SallyCinnamon said:

To be honest I think we have to move away from the obsession with the play off boys. All failed to get us promoted. Individually very talented players but just couldn’t get us over the line as a team.

Big fan of Lee and no harm in offering a new deal, but we shouldn’t pin our hopes on him. What we do in the transfer market is far more important this year. We need a new look squad. 

I don’t think it’s a case of pinning our hopes on him; it’s a case of knowing the value of what a fully fit Kieran Lee can bring to the squad. 

I would very much hope that no player is essential to the team next year and that all have to fight hard to get in the starting lineup. 

2 hours ago, bigash_swfc said:

He's a good keeper but I always remember how good Danny Ward was for Huddersfield, in their promotion season. Looked a cut above Westwood in our semi final - He was a loanee! - as was Henderson for United. Doesn't make us more defensively sound, if he signs and we miss out on Hector.

Sorry but I disagree. Our defence was shambolic with Hector but without Westwood. One Westwood was back the whole defence knitted together and Hector looked much better. I think Westwood is the glue that holds it all together.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SallyCinnamon said:

To be honest I think we have to move away from the obsession with the play off boys. All failed to get us promoted. Individually very talented players but just couldn’t get us over the line as a team.

Big fan of Lee and no harm in offering a new deal, but we shouldn’t pin our hopes on him. What we do in the transfer market is far more important this year. We need a new look squad. 

I think it was more CC who couldn't get us over the line. That first season we were very attacking, in the final we didn't go for it we held back and never looked like winning. Second season we went defensive. Even in the semi we went defensive away and never had a shot at their second/third string keeper, back at ours we shouyld have gone for it but we played safe.

Even when Carlos went to Swansea he got them scoring goals and winning games until it looked like they had a good chance of staying up, then they went defensive and got reklegated. I think it's just in CC's DNA to play safe when things get serious.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, prowl said:

I think it was more CC who couldn't get us over the line. That first season we were very attacking, in the final we didn't go for it we held back and never looked like winning. Second season we went defensive. Even in the semi we went defensive away and never had a shot at their second/third string keeper, back at ours we shouyld have gone for it but we played safe.

Even when Carlos went to Swansea he got them scoring goals and winning games until it looked like they had a good chance of staying up, then they went defensive and got reklegated. I think it's just in CC's DNA to play safe when things get serious.

This^^^. Absolutely spot on. 

2 hours ago, shandypants said:

Are your eyes painted on?

Bristol city at home? Rotherham away, how often else has he changed a game?

now before everyone starts kicking off and misconstrues what I say, I like Lee and I think he is a good championship player. But for a midfielder is he a game changer? Hooper was a game changer, FF is, Lee is a solid midfield player but it’s the usual case on here - absence makes the heart grow fonder 

Part of the failed play off team, part of the midfield that got bullied at Wembley

Edited by FreshOwl

8 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

now before everyone starts kicking off and misconstrues what I say, I like Lee and I think he is a good championship player. But for a midfielder is he a game changer? Hooper was a game changer, FF is, Lee is a solid midfield player but it’s the usual case on here - absence makes the heart grow fonder 

Part of the failed play off team, part of the midfield that got bullied at Wembley

If you have enough 'good Championship players' you don't need 'game changers'. Did any of our game changers change the games against Huddersfield or Hull?

We all like to see that bit of magic that wins a game but it is TEAMS that grind out results week in and week out that win promotion.

I hope Lee gets back to his best, we really have missed him.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

You must have been asleep when he netted the second against Brighton, or the winner at Ipswich (which secured our play off spot), or the last minute winners against Bristol City, Norwich, Rotherham and so on and so on. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, SiJ said:

You must have been asleep when he netted the second against Brighton, or the winner at Ipswich (which secured our play off spot), or the last minute winners against Bristol City, Norwich, Rotherham and so on and so on. 

I must have been asleep in my old age of 27, though I do admit in the time he’s been out I’d forgotten about a lot of those games.

Like I’ve said he’ll be a strong addition to bring back in and hopefully he’ll stay fit, I think I’m just a bit reluctant to keep going with the 2015 team.

34 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

18 minutes ago, SiJ said:

... and also when Lee changes every game that he plays for us by making us play 15 to 20 yards nearer the opposition’s goal. 

2 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

I must have been asleep in my old age of 27, though I do admit in the time he’s been out I’d forgotten about a lot of those games.

Like I’ve said he’ll be a strong addition to bring back in and hopefully he’ll stay fit, I think I’m just a bit reluctant to keep going with the 2015 team.

I get that...

At some point, you have to move on. No sentiment in football etc. 

Thankfully, we are starting to weed out some of those players and keeping the ones who still have something to offer (Westwood, Bannan etc). 

Retaining Lee on a six month contract (to see if he can get fit) is low risk. If it works out, then great. If not, he moves on we thank him for his services. 

Fair chance if he does resign, then he does so with a wage reduction. 

Edited by SiJ
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, shandypants said:

... and also when Lee changes every game that he plays for us by making us play 15 to 20 yards nearer the opposition’s goal. 

He's the only midfielder at that club who provides some form of semi-consistent goal threat aside from possibly Reach. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FreshOwl said:

We should develop our team but we shouldn’t throw the baby out with the bath water. Keep the good players and discard those that need discarding. A fit Kieran Lee is one of those you keep. 

He's midfielder that can score...not like Reach or Bannan...but the simpler type of goal by running, or staying in space....We haven't got a midfielder who does that.

Look at his last gasp goals at Rotherham, or against bristol City...or the second one at hillsborough against Brighton in the play offs...hardly spectacular..but very clever...

Its a knack no-one else in our current midfield has....Worth a gamble...for what it will cost us?

I reckon so

• Like 2

8 hours ago, WalthamOwl said:

I’m a massive fan of Lee, if he could have stayed fit he would be a Premiership player by now imo. His injury record is a massive concern now, I just can’t see him ever playing more than 4-5 games in a row for us. Would love him to get back to his best though because on his day he is one of the best in the league. Also I’m slightly surprised we haven’t announced signed contract extensions by now. Surely the players would have decided? 

You could say same about Westwood...that's what bothers me...we keep him he's ok for 10 games gets injured and if your second choice ain't good enough..we start losing games...it's happened with Westwood quite often ..

People seem to forget what Lee brought to the team and what his strengths were when he was at his best.

He consistently did more running in a game than anybody else in the league . No matter where the ball was he was in the same area , either getting a foot in, linking play  or getting on the end of a cross.

His anticipation was fantastic and he was impossible to mark.

It was like playing with 12 men.

He didn’t impose himself on a game, mainly because of his style but also because he isn’t that kind of a personality.

Can he get back to those levels?

Will be tough. He is 31 this month but is natural athlete and the medics will know the state of his big injuries.

Definitely worth a year to find out.

6 hours ago, bigash_swfc said:

He's a good keeper but I always remember how good Danny Ward was for Huddersfield, in their promotion season. Looked a cut above Westwood in our semi final - He was a loanee! - as was Henderson for United. Doesn't make us more defensively sound, if he signs and we miss out on Hector.

Danny Ward is nowehere near as good as Westwood and neither is Henderson.