If the 93 replay had gone to penalties??

Remember it so well. Was dreading penalties but had mentally prepared myself for them. Then came the goal. I looked in desperation at the ref and linesman hoping it would be disallowed. It seemed to happen in slow motion and I remember thinking 'That can't happen. I've just got myself ready for penalties'. Alas the goal stood and I cried most of the way home. 

2 hours ago, Owl 44 said:

Remember it so well. Was dreading penalties but had mentally prepared myself for them. Then came the goal. I looked in desperation at the ref and linesman hoping it would be disallowed. It seemed to happen in slow motion and I remember thinking 'That can't happen. I've just got myself ready for penalties'. Alas the goal stood and I cried most of the way home. 

I was right behind the goal at the back of the stand and it did seem to go in slow motion, I too was looking at the ref and linesman. 

Is my memory playing tricks on me, but straight from the kick off after the goal we also got a corner and I seem to remember Warhurst heading over or did I imagine that. The know we got a corner though.

Edited by sexpistol

2 hours ago, modboy said:

Still never watched it back 

Me neither mate...Only ever seen it live....nearly caught it once when I wandered in from the kitchen and SKY were showing highlights from that season...recognised the game...saw the corner coming over..ran back in the kitchen

• Haha 3

I was 8 years old and the only one except my mum not to go. We watched it at her friend's house, as the corner was given I walked out as I was too stressed... being that age I thought I'd walk in well after the final whistle. 

I didn't. I walked in as the header went in. Without doubt the worst football experience I'll ever have, cried myself to sleep about 4 in the morning.  I vividly remember pretending to be asleep as my dad (God rest his soul) came up to see if I was ok, guess it was about 2am.

I will always hate Arsenal and I will never, ever, watch a minute of that game again. 

Chris Waddle said that Ray Parlour came up to him at the end of extra time and said that Arsenal had blown it and the cup was ours, as they had missed their previous 5 penalties. Then 10 seconds later the cross came in and the ball was in the back of Woods’ net

:duntmatter:

If ever a side deserved to win a trophy that season, it was us. I'm sure I recall a Football Focus feature on us that season and they said we were the form team in Europe between January and April 1993. Something like two defeats in 26 matches. We were an absolute joy to watch but with all the cup games injuries caught up with us and key players like Palmer and Warhurst played out of position in the replay. Also no Pearson or Shirtliff available and Rolls Royce Nilsson had played a full match World Cup Qualifier for Sweden 24 hrs before the Replay. The odds stacked against us for the replay but we were still the better side and Bright should have won it. Stills hurts to this day.

2 hours ago, big_al1985 said:

I was 8 years old and the only one except my mum not to go. We watched it at her friend's house, as the corner was given I walked out as I was too stressed... being that age I thought I'd walk in well after the final whistle. 

I didn't. I walked in as the header went in. Without doubt the worst football experience I'll ever have, cried myself to sleep about 4 in the morning.  I vividly remember pretending to be asleep as my dad (God rest his soul) came up to see if I was ok, guess it was about 2am.

I will always hate Arsenal and I will never, ever, watch a minute of that game again. 

I blame you for the goal. If you had not walked in the goal would not have gone in 

• Haha 1

Every aspect of that final few weeks of the 1992/93 season is heartbreaking to this day - arguably beginning with Steve Bruce and “Fergie Time!” And it didn’t stop there(& probably never will). Six months or so later I had the misfortunate to be walking through Victoria Station where hundreds of Gooners we’re heading off to Highbury for a Cup Winners Cup tie. It should have been us!!! The misery of those two lost finals after such a tremendous season stays with me still. All I ever wanted was for Wednesday to win the F.A. Cup once in my lifetime but a. The trophy’s been down valued now & b. We’re obviously not going to manage it while the likes of Manchester City & others put out there A team and still get through to the later stages.

16 hours ago, Stoop said:

Chris Waddle said that Ray Parlour came up to him at the end of extra time and said that Arsenal had blown it and the cup was ours, as they had missed their previous 5 penalties. Then 10 seconds later the cross came in and the ball was in the back of Woods’ net

:duntmatter:

I find it somewhat staggering that an opposition player would say something like that during a game.

21 hours ago, BRADDO said:

How did Bright miss that sitter though. Ffs. 

Agree. Woods gets castigated for his error yet nothing is really said about Brights shocking miss (or the fact that hius marking of Linighan was poor!

A mate of mine once said 'Bright cost us the league (with his last minute equaliser for Palace in '92, yes I know there's a bit of poetic licence) and 2 cups (he missed a good chance in the League cup final as well) yet we still love him'......woods chucks one in the cup final plusa a couple of howlers against the great unwashed and he's the worst keeper ever to play for us!

On ‎15‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 08:36, sexpistol said:

Brights Miss was a shocker. It was easier to score. Penalties would have been a shocker to lose but it was the manner of their winner which still rankles to this day. It was just a straight forward header and Woods inexplicably went down instead of  just keeping his position.

Why couldn't it have been him challenging the centre half (Adams?) and the ball falling to an unmarked Hirst 8 yards out instead of the other way round! ffs