If the 93 replay had gone to penalties??

All hypothetical of course, but if Chris Woods hadn’t made his monumental clanger and the game goes to penalties. Who would have been our 5 penalty takers? My guess  at who was on the pitch, it would have been

Hirst

Sheridan

Bart-Williams ( Inbelieve he was brought on near the end for them)

Harkes

Warhurst

Who knows how the pens would have panned out ?

Guest The Horse

Woods would have found a way to balls that up too.

Even if we had a Tardis, went back in time and kidnapped all their players, we still would've lost.

The event is time locked.

34 minutes ago, Colin Dobson said:

Perhaps unfairly I always blame Bright for his miss 18 minutes from time just as much as the Woods howler. If we'd lost a Cup Final on penalties it would have been devastating so best not to go there!

Brights Miss was a shocker. It was easier to score. Penalties would have been a shocker to lose but it was the manner of their winner which still rankles to this day. It was just a straight forward header and Woods inexplicably went down instead of  just keeping his position.

I would have preferred to have lost on penalties if only as it would have been a first and probably remembered more as unfortunate.

Seaman was a decent penalty saver so imagine we would have lost.

The Bright miss should have gone down in history alongside the ‘and smith must score’ for Brighton a decade earlier.

33 minutes ago, Ever the pessimist said:

I would have preferred to have lost on penalties if only as it would have been a first and probably remembered more as unfortunate.

Seaman was a decent penalty saver so imagine we would have lost.

The Bright miss should have gone down in history alongside the ‘and smith must score’ for Brighton a decade earlier.

Actually he wasn't so we would've won :( https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/david-seaman/elfmeterstatistik/spieler/3141

Every one always bangs on about Woods “mistake” but Mark Bright always gets off very lightly allowing Linighan a free header from the corner.

As for the penalties, Ian Wright had already gone off, Woods greatest strength was his shot stopping and I’m convinced we would have won the cup.

For me Hirst, Bright, Sheridan, Warhurst and perhaps Harkes would’ve taken penalties. All hypothetical of course, it still gets me down to this day watching replays of that match, we really should’ve won the cup that year and back then it was still a great tournament to win.

33 minutes ago, TrickyTrev said:

As for the penalties, Ian Wright had already gone off, Woods greatest strength was his shot stopping and I’m convinced we would have won the cup.

For me Hirst, Bright, Sheridan, Warhurst and perhaps Harkes would’ve taken penalties. All hypothetical of course, it still gets me down to this day watching replays of that match, we really should’ve won the cup that year and back then it was still a great tournament to win.

We'd still have become the first team to lose an FA Cup Final on penalties. It's the Wednesday Way. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, alanharper said:

We'd still have become the first team to lose an FA Cup Final on penalties. It's the Wednesday Way. 

I can console you I had a dream in the summer of 1995 (think it was a Wednesday night) and we won 5 nil on penalties and Ian Wright was so distraught he never played football again. 

10 minutes ago, Mycroft said:

I can console you I had a dream in the summer of 1995 (think it was a Wednesday night) and we won 5 nil on penalties and Ian Wright was so distraught he never played football again. 

Speaking of penalties in 1995 - knowing us we'd probably have been 3-0 up in the shootout and still lost. I've still never seen another team manage that, before or since. 

3 hours ago, sexpistol said:

All hypothetical of course, but if Chris Woods hadn’t made his monumental clanger and the game goes to penalties. Who would have been our 5 penalty takers? My guess  at who was on the pitch, it would have been

Hirst

Sheridan

Bart-Williams ( Inbelieve he was brought on near the end for them)

Harkes

Warhurst

Who knows how the pens would have panned out ?

it didn't mate, get over it.

a very british to look to the past, whilst the future runs away.

1 hour ago, alanharper said:

Speaking of penalties in 1995 - knowing us we'd probably have been 3-0 up in the shootout and still lost. I've still never seen another team manage that, before or since. 

Wasnt that v wolves away when pressman hammered in the 3rd?

I agree with you though 3:0 up and lost - has that ever happened since???

2 hours ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

Not sure how accurate that website is... but according to the same website Chris Woods never saved a penalty, even though several of the guys who scored past him are clearly made up players.... Wolfgang Funkel, Oleksii Mykhaylychenko, Raul Arce, Dr Khumalo....

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/chris-woods/elfmeterstatistik/spieler/101320

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Colin Dobson said:

Perhaps unfairly I always blame Bright for his miss 18 minutes from time just as much as the Woods howler. If we'd lost a Cup Final on penalties it would have been devastating so best not to go there!

As opposed to our keeper throwing one in in the +120 min

:duntmatter:

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, TrickyTrev said:

Every one always bangs on about Woods “mistake” but Mark Bright always gets off very lightly allowing Linighan a free header from the corner.

Bart Williams was specifically brought on with 2 minutes left to take one.