What's an acceptable season? This one and next?

Guest The Horse

Heart says promotion, head says top ten.

We're still swimming in FFP / P&S infested waters which may well see us having to grind out another average season before the shackles come off.

Bruce is definitely one for the job.

The problem is that all fans up and down the country have no long term vision and get angry quickly.

Watch how soon the pigs will turn on Grand Snorter Wilder next season when they're not winning every week.

So we'll need to be in around the top ten all season within a sniff of the play offs to keep us all happy.

Playoffs at a minimum, after the turn around last season proved we have the ability to push on. A few decent additions to the squad and a few more departures of the players lacking ability will improve us no end. We should be looking at a solid start this time and more attacking intensity.

Hopefully a season to remember and a huge step forward. 

In the second half of last season we picked up 37 points. I think the aim over the two halves of the season is to pick up between 35-40 points. We do this we finish anywhere between 5th and 10th which would represent a good first full season in charge for Bruce IMO but obviously the hope is for promotion whichever way it happens?

I’m desperate for us to get promoted, I’m lucky enough to remember well the highs of the 1990’s but there are so many Wednesday fans who can’t, it’s been way too long.

That said, I am a realist and given the mess Bruce inherited I think he needs to be given at least 3 transfer windows to build his team and this is his first so I think  anything in the top 10 would be a decent season and give us something to build on.

If we get there sooner then great but fans are going to have to be patient, Rome wasn’t built in a day.

Two consecutive posts couldn't have summed up football fans any better...

1 hour ago, TrickyTrev said:

I’m desperate for us to get promoted, I’m lucky enough to remember well the highs of the 1990’s but there are so many Wednesday fans who can’t, it’s been way too long.

That said, I am a realist and given the mess Bruce inherited I think he needs to be given at least 3 transfer windows to build his team and this is his first so I think  anything in the top 10 would be a decent season and give us something to build on.

If we get there sooner then great but fans are going to have to be patient, Rome wasn’t built in a day.

38 minutes ago, notts0wl said:

Top 6 anything less and something is up. Next season top 4 or surging in the prem

:duntmatter:

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, TrickyTrev said:

Rome wasn't built in a day, but we have had 20 years of watching bottom half garbage .

As Asteener says, patience is waiting for a bus that's late ,not 20 yrs for a promotion side to be put together 

As for the younger end never seeing us in the premier, you are 100% bang on, it's a disgrace 

We aren't fit to be promoted as things stand right now. We have a team that lacks bottle and we don't turn up for some games. I was embarrassed last season to see us give up when things went against us. That's not what we need if we want promotion.

We need a few seriously determined, forceful signings to give us more character. Players who can pick up the pieces when we are struggling and by sheer force of will drive us on. Bruce will be aware of this, it's just a matter of whether the right players are available at a price we can afford.

We will get there with the right funding and Bruce in charge but we might have to wait another season. The signings we make will be a strong indicator of whether we have a chance this year.

Clearly we won’t win awards for style of play next season under Bruce but his ability to work in the transfer market and to create promotion challenging squads is the best in championship history.

I like the fact he said it may take 5 years to get us promoted and consolidated in the PL, which means he’s not put unrealistic targets on what he hopes to achieve.  But hopefully he can sign some gems in the summer and make us a top 6 side 

52 minutes ago, the monk said:

Rome wasn't built in a day, but we have had 20 years of watching bottom half garbage .

As Asteener says, patience is waiting for a bus that's late ,not 20 yrs for a promotion side to be put together 

I get your point mate but for much of those 20 years we were putting out fires and treading water. It’s only since Milan and then Chansiri that the club has started to recover.

Steve Bruce has been here for 5 months, given his record at this level I firmly believe that given time and a bit of patience he’ll take us back to where we want to be and hopefully we can consign the last 20 years to the history books.

14 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

Promotion is the only acceptable season.

Not paying highest ticket prices in the league 5th season running and selling the stadium off to say happy with 8th as its progression.

Steve Bruce not come here on big wages for mid table consolidation.

Mostly agree with this but id say the expectation that we get promotion might be a little too much.

My lowest expectation is that we are at the very least a very serious promotion contender 

Edited by poite