A12owl

Don Megson.....the best we've ever had

51 minutes ago, torryowl said:

only the most rabid owl would think megson was better than Wilson ……Catterick tried to sign Wilson when he was with us and offered megson and money but hudders said no ..megson was a very good 1st division full back but  Wilson was world class in the mid 60s  

Wasn’t that in 1959 before Megson had broken through into the first team though? I assume  Megson was at the peak of his game a few years later.

4 minutes ago, oldowl67 said:

Wasn’t that in 1959 before Megson had broken through into the first team though? I assume  Megson was at the peak of his game a few years later.

I believe so …...I got the story from a harry Catterick biography I read a while back …..

Don was the best left back ever born. Bit bias though.

Was a brave man that took Meggy on,he took no prisoners,every ball was there to be won,and he tackled a touch firmly garymegson

He loved the club and gave 100% every game,lacked that finesse,but did what he was good at every game,you stuck Don in there and didnt need to worry about that side of the park defensively.

Scored the odd goal,normally screamers,like v chelsea in the cup,but the best one was his goal v Man Utd in the 5-4 win thats so often spoken of by us older fans,he scored a stormer from about 30 yards,but the lino gave fantham off and raised his flag,would have stood in todays game,it was a paper thin decision & Fant wasnt interfering anyhow he just ghosted into the far side of the box for an expected cross

• Like 1

1 hour ago, buster123 said:

Don was the best left back ever born. Bit bias though.

Are you his son, Neil? Just looking at your location (Seattle) and remember hearing about him playing/coaching out there.

10 hours ago, torryowl said:

I believe so …...I got the story from a harry Catterick biography I read a while back …..

I think we’ve read the same biography; Harry Catterick- The untold story of a football great, by Rob Sawyer. It states that Catterick offered young Megson as part of a deal that would have brought Wilson to Hillsborough. Bill Shankly the Huddersfield manager was tempted because he had been impressed by Megson’s performances in our reserve team but the  deal never happened because Megson broke through into our first team.

Interestingly Megson makes no mention of this in his autobiography. Perhaps he never knew.

On 13/06/2019 at 10:15, A12owl said:

Don Megson......best left back Wednesday have ever had. 

Happy birthday .

https://www.swfc.co.uk/news/2019/june/happy-birthday-don/

On 13/06/2019 at 10:30, daveyboy66 said:

He wasn't but a legend nevertheless

On 13/06/2019 at 16:51, asteener1867 said:

I give you.................

Dave Rushberry....rarely mentioned..played for a while...wasn't as good as the Don....probably wasn't as good as Fox...palmer, worthington or King...or most other left backs we had...

but I thought I would mention him...Very hard in the tackle...but often err...a bit late

different time, vastly different game then to now.

as in boxing it's impossible to 'evenly' compare.

most Olympic records are set nearer to this time than the 60's thus men are now much fitter and faster.

it was (I believe) said of alan ball in the world cup final, 'he covered every blade of grass, and never stopped running', with today's midfielders up against him he'd get knocked over and trampled into the ground.

I'll ask him on Sunday who was his choice foe the best left back at Wednesday.

On 13/06/2019 at 16:51, asteener1867 said:

I give you.................

Dave Rushberry....rarely mentioned..played for a while...wasn't as good as the Don....probably wasn't as good as Fox...palmer, worthington or King...or most other left backs we had...

but I thought I would mention him...Very hard in the tackle...but often err...a bit late

If your going to mention Rushbury, you may well have mentioned David Grant.

I talked with Don on Saturday actually, he mention names and how the game has changed over time but he really thought that the left back who played with Gary, Worthington was the best left back who played for Wednesday. I asked him who he thought was the best left back in his career was. The name was on the tip of his tongue but couldn't remember his name. He played for Everton in the 1966 FA cup and played for England on numerous times. Anyone know him.

On 13/06/2019 at 10:30, daveyboy66 said:

He wasn't but a legend nevertheless

Two League titles and 26 England caps mean Ernest Blenkinsop is the left back to beat. 

51 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

Two League titles and 26 England caps mean Ernest Blenkinsop is the left back to beat. 

Remember my earlier years watching Wednesday with my Dad. When Don came on the scene we both appreciated him, but, while I argued that Don was the tops, Dad always came back with 'Ernie Blenkinsop - finest footballer I've seen'.

• Agree 1

On 13/06/2019 at 16:58, asteener1867 said:

Mighta been...I don't google crap left backs lol

Dave Grant

lol

On 13/06/2019 at 10:27, Simaniac Owl said:

Don Megson is known as the Godfather.  

He did father a god after all garymegson

No disrespect to Gary and I accept he played in a different position, but he wasn’t a patch on his Dad. Don was as good as it gets one of our all time greats in my opinion.

No disrespect to dad but Gary was a bit more polished as a player.

On 16/06/2019 at 06:20, buster123 said:

I talked with Don on Saturday actually, he mention names and how the game has changed over time but he really thought that the left back who played with Gary, Worthington was the best left back who played for Wednesday. I asked him who he thought was the best left back in his career was. The name was on the tip of his tongue but couldn't remember his name. He played for Everton in the 1966 FA cup and played for England on numerous times. Anyone know him.

Ray Wilson.  Harry Catterick tried to sign him from Huddersfield for Wednesday, offering Don as part of the deal.

On 14/06/2019 at 19:07, daveyboy66 said:

Worthington had 50 caps played in the World Cup...come on peeps

and I won 3 Army FA Cups but didn't mean I was the best player

IF you read my response I dont favour either just quoted their strengths

be rayt Dave !