Nuhiu Wanted

Nuhiu is now a seasoned championship player. This coming season will be his seventh at the club. If he was as sh!t as some on here claim he is then he would've been moved on a long time ago. The fact is he's still here and he will play his part for us again next season. Granted he's not the best player in the world but he does a job and given where we are at the moment with P&S I think we'd struggle to get anyone else in who offers in general what he does?

38 minutes ago, ChinaOwl said:

No it couldn't - there are possibly 50 or 60 reasons that could be given as reasons for the play-off failures over and above anything to do with Nuhiu. Maybe you could ask why a player earning at least double what Nuhiu does failed to convert a gilt edged opportunity then backed out of taking a penalty in the shoot out. I would think that Nuhiu realises his own limitations (though the anti-Nuhiu Sect is now trying to spin that one as well) but he contributes to overall team and squad ethic to a point that would put other so called better options to shame.

My feelings about this "He only tried when he needed a new contract":

That is all well and good but to achieve something in life, you need to first have the capability to do it. It might work in Greek legend or the Bible where someone can just summon up hidden strengths to overcome short term objectives, but in real life it just doesn't happen. People are either capable of doing something or they are not. It is utter gonads to suggest any player could raise their own performance level to that extent with view to getting a new contract then just simply switch it back off when the new contract is safely in the bank.

It can easily be explained away as someone putting in extra effort to secure the deal. Going out focused instead of just going through the motions.

In your scenario the question begs then if he has the ability why is he utterly useless 95% of the time he turns out for us and doesn’t recreate the flash in the pan pre-contract form?

Like I have said it’s all about opinion and mine will remain that we should be looking at better to achieve our goal of promotion. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Prince said:

It can easily be explained away as someone putting in extra effort to secure the deal. Going out focused instead of just going through the motions.

In your scenario the question begs then if he has the ability why is he utterly useless 95% of the time he turns out for us and doesn’t recreate the flash in the pan pre-contract form?

Like I have said it’s all about opinion and mine will remain that we should be looking at better to achieve our goal of promotion. 

You mean like raising his performance level level from "Useless lump who couldn't hit a barn door from a yard away" to one of the most effective and prolific (at that time) strikers in the Championship simply to obtain a new contract? Go on then, I challenge you in your own line of work whatever that is. Suddenly become (completely out of the blue) something that you have never been before or ever looked likely to be and use it to get a big pay rise. I look forward to hearing your story.

2 minutes ago, ChinaOwl said:

You mean like raising his performance level level from "Useless lump who couldn't hit a barn door from a yard away" to one of the most effective and prolific (at that time) strikers in the Championship simply to obtain a new contract? Go on then, I challenge you in your own line of work whatever that is. Suddenly become (completely out of the blue) something that you have never been before or ever looked likely to be and use it to get a big pay rise. I look forward to hearing your story.

It’s not about me or my career, don’t try and deflect this on my personal achievements in the workplace.

It’s about a player who all of a sudden becomes more effective when he is faced with finding a new deal. I agree you can’t raise ability but application, effort and drive are all easy to raise if you have an incentive. 

I have a theory about football, derived from what I call the Tudgay effect....

The perceived quality of player can be measured by the quality of players he is playing with. The truly good players raise their game when quality in the squad increases. Others look poor, until the collective quality of the squad lowers  (usually through injuries in our case) where they then appear slightly better than average. 

At times when our team was bereft of our better quality players, filled out by squad players and youth, aligned with a desire to earn a new contract Nuhiu had a purple patch.

Since players like Fletcher, FF, Hooper returned, the quality in the squad increased, Nuhiu hasn't had a look in and looked well short of the level he was perhaps perceived to set during his purple patch the season before. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, striker said:

The perceived quality of player can be measured by the quality of players he is playing with. The truly good players raise their game when quality in the squad increases. Others look poor, until the collective quality of the squad lowers  (usually through injuries in our case) where they then appear slightly better than average. 

At times when our team was bereft of our better quality players, filled out by squad players and youth, aligned with a desire to earn a new contract Nuhiu had a purple patch.

Since players like Fletcher, FF, Hooper returned, the quality in the squad increased, Nuhiu hasn't had a look in and looked well short of the level he was perhaps perceived to set during his purple patch the season before. 

I would agree with that. You see it all the time in sport. The stars suddenly, for whatever reason, align and very average players for a limited period look like world beaters. I think that is more likely explanation for the run that Nuhiu had. 

But that aside, to achieve something of that magnitude, you at least need a certain level of talent or ability. I cannot remember the stats exactly but I think I have seen it quoted that Nuhiu got 15 goals in 18 games. If that was extrapolated over a full season, it would equate to something over a 40 goal season, prolific by any standard. Yes it was just a golden patch but it absolutely belies the many assertions put out by a sector of the Wednesday fan base vis-a-vis Nuhiu's ability. Indeed, it makes him more than simply a number to fill the squad. He must absolutely be capable than his normal season on season goal return.

If someone wants Nuhiu and the player is happy then I’d say it’s time to move on.

I’d also look to sell Rhodes to Norwich for £4m+ and sell/swap Winnall for a player from Rotherham (Vaulks/Ojayi) or Peterborough usually have a decent player.

I’d be happy to have Fletcher, Forestieri, Joao and a young pacy striker (Brewster, Nkeitah) as the forwards next season.  Then bring in someone extra in January if necessary 

i think having 7 players for 2 striking positions was an issue under Carlos and potentially caused the unrest/bullying between the forward players as they can’t have been happy 

Edited by Owls-Fan

Keep him ffs he's an unusual enigma of a player that makes an impact as a sub or on from half time if required. He drags defenders all over place when he holds it up, they don't know what to do and he can score cracking goals.. He's also probably great in the dressing room and for them 2 points only he's definitely worth a new contract. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Prince said:

It’s not about me or my career, don’t try and deflect this on my personal achievements in the workplace.

It’s about a player who all of a sudden becomes more effective when he is faced with finding a new deal. I agree you can’t raise ability but application, effort and drive are all easy to raise if you have an incentive. 

If it was that simple to change his game & ‘become’ a prolific scorer, why wouldn’t he choose to keep doing it? It must be more enjoyable & he probably earned more. Why would he just turn it on & off, as you suggest? It’s a great talent if he’s capable of it.

4 minutes ago, The only way is S6 said:

If it was that simple to change his game & ‘become’ a prolific scorer, why wouldn’t he choose to keep doing it? It must be more enjoyable & he probably earned more. Why would he just turn it on & off, as you suggest? It’s a great talent if he’s capable of it.

Therein lies the crackpot idea portrayed by the anti-Nuhiu mob.

To be clear, I am not saying that players cannot raise their games when it comes to contract renewal time. What they are saying in the Nuhiu instance is that he can suddenly, from nowhere and almost on demand go from what they themselves perceive as a Sunday League clogger with very little ability to 15 goal in 18 game Championship striker. In other words, from a donkey to a thoroughbred when he needs a new contract then just switch back to being a donkey again.

As you quite rightly say, if he is a 15 goal in 18 game striker in a donkey's disguise, why doesn't he just do it more often and earn enough dosh to set himself up for life? :wacko:

10 million pounds and not a penny less.

He was our top scorer not so long ago.

With Westwood keeping a record number of clean sheets at one end, and Atdhe banging in 20 goals at the other, we should get promoted this season. 

11 hours ago, striker said:

Not read the bulk of the thread, just skipped to the last page. 

Isn't it much more likely that Nuihu, as with most players, plays better when he gets a decent run in the team and game time? Is able to get some real match sharpness and form.

You know, as opposed to getting 10/15 minutes here and there, usually at the end of a game and given the role he's usually given.

Not rocket science is it?

57 minutes ago, The Batman said:

Isn't it much more likely that Nuihu, as with most players, plays better when he gets a decent run in the team and game time? Is able to get some real match sharpness and form.

You know, as opposed to getting 10/15 minutes here and there, usually at the end of a game and given the role he's usually given.

I agree about match sharpness, but doesn't compensate for limitations in ability and lack of movement. 

Aside from his purple patch, Nuhiu's level has been average. To give him credit he probably makes the best of what he's got, when surrounded by lower quality players, appears slightly above average, but around better quality players looks poor.

There is a reason successive managers have not given him significant game time, aside from Jos, probably  one of the worst managers in recent history. Even then it took injury for Nuhiu to get his chance and having weakened the team to such a degree, and with the incentive of a new contract, looked a player he's never looked before or since. 

3 hours ago, The Batman said:

He has had long runs in the team and still been s h I t e. We need better end of.