Tommy Spurr

25 minutes ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

Found it

I used to sit on the kop in those days and i was right behind it.

Was that the Plymouth keeper who had knocked down and killed a child?

1 hour ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I've seen this referenced on here over the years, but where did it come from?

Think at the time some thought beavers was worth 6m on his own, believed his own hype and went downhill faster than Bolton's bank balance.

Well done on your career Tommy. A top pro and a good player. Was awesome for us when first broke onto the scene scoring some crackers. Will never forget that one against the Blades either.

Got some unfair stick towards the end of his Wednesday career, unjustified for me. He was playing in a crap side with problems behind the scenes. Confidence was at an all time low. Cried his eyes out on the pitch when we got relegated by Palace. It hurt him like it did any other fan. Same can’t be said for a lot of his teammates that day. 

Wish him all the best. 

2 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Well done on your career Tommy. A top pro and a good player. Was awesome for us when first broke onto the scene scoring some crackers. Will never forget that one against the Blades either.

Got some unfair stick towards the end of his Wednesday career, unjustified for me. He was playing in a crap side with problems behind the scenes. Confidence was at an all time low. Cried his eyes out on the pitch when we got relegated by Palace. It hurt him like it did any other fan. Same can’t be said for a lot of his teammates that day. 

Wish him all the best. 

I think awesome might be pushing it a bit. 

3 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Wish him all the best. 

He did get some unfair stick, at times he was trying to hold that defence together on his own, he ran his gonads off and I still believe he made himself look worse than he was by trying to hard.

Will always remember him with affection........good luck Tommy in whatever you do next.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

I remember him scoring a cracker at Hillsborough

I think it was against Plymouth but not 100% sure

Yep, first thing I thought of, even before his goal at the sty.

People tend to remember those two goals but not so much the screamer that he scored against PL Fulham in the FA Cup as well. Maybe because we lost the game 2-1 but it was a belter. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Wish him all the best. 

He was rarely awesome, as some have said, his back-post defending left a lot to be desired but as you say, he could be faulted for effort and at times he did seem to get more stick than many more established players in our squad. 

We used to sit on the Kop and watch our typical pattern of play that led towards us being relegated in 2010 - when we didn't go long Grant would roll it out to Spurr, our 'playmaker' (ahem), Potter would drop deep to pick the ball up from Spurr, giving the impression he was about to dictate the play, after looking up, he would decide there was no pass on and with the opposition now pressing us Potter would give it back to Spurr and shuffle off leaving the left-back with no option but to play a usually fruitless ball up the line. Happy days! 

5 minutes ago, Ian said:

I don’t think we’ve had a better left back since he left

Pudil was far better for 18 months.