#OnThisDay in 2015

_83578666_graypoint_getty.jpg.d140679dc190480ced2b2ec850ebc510.jpg

Sheffield Wednesday have sacked head coach Stuart Gray after 18 months in charge.

Wednesday finished 13th in the Championship last season, 18 points off the play-off spots and 19 clear of the relegation zone.

Gray's final game in charge was a 1-1 draw at Vicarage Road which denied Watford the Championship title.

He was appointed head coach in January 2014 after taking over on a caretaker basis when Dave Jones was sacked.

In a statement, club chairman Dejphon Chansiri said: "This is not a decision I have taken lightly but one that I believe is in the best interests of our club ahead of the 2015-16 season.

"The club will be taking a new direction next season and it is my belief that the appointment of a new head coach will help achieve my desire of bringing Premier League football back to Hillsborough.

"I would like to thank Stuart for his hard work and diligence on behalf of Sheffield Wednesday and wish him all the very best moving forward."

Gray becomes the fourth Championship manager to leave his job after the end of the season, following the departures of Brentford's Mark Warburton, Leeds' Neil Redfearn and Derby's Steve McClaren.

Meanwhile, coach John Deehan, who was brought to Hillsborough by Gray in 2014, has also left the club.

That went well :-) 

Could Gray have done the job given the resorces that were handed to Carlos? Discuss!

Did ok under budget he had but some of football was dull, not as dull as under Jos but dull.

I think he knew we hadn't a great team so just wanted to make sure we picked up enough points up to stay away from relegation area. 

36 minutes ago, markowl said:

The fact that he's never been offered a manager's job in the 4 years since this happened, makes me think the answer is probably no.

Could just be he prefers being a coach and hasn’t applied for any manager’s jobs.

• Like 1

I think more to the point, the club should have realised the real driving force of our time under the Portuguese was the potential of Bruno Lage, should have let Carlos move on,clearly wanted to, and give the now Benfica manager the opportunity.

In 2014/15 he had attacking options that included Maghoma, Madine, May, Bus, Keane, Nuhiu and Maguire. Plus he had to send his team out to play on sand every other week. 

Imo Gray did a good job here. He spent next to nothing and left a really solid squad behind, some of which we still depend on now 4 years later

Trouble with some of our managers its often been about "desire" as much as budget.....Jones lost interest...Carvalhal became the new Jones..Gray was similar, Irvine had the badges but did nowt but talk up the opposition..

Shreeves, jewell, Laws, Jos?

all halfway capable but ordinary

It was reflected in all their teams in the end....

I forget which season it was under Gray when we had a chance of actually going for it with a fair few games left,,,,and we just faded

all that being said...DC never gave him a chance, all the whitter about The wednesday family etc....obviously "the family" started post Gray..Cos he hung on to Carlos and Jos far too long

• Like 1

Not a bad word to say about Gray, did what was needed at a time where we had a poor squad and kept us up and then was unfairly shunted out for Carlos once we'd got some money. Who knows, Gray having a better knowledge of the English game than Carlos, we could have got promoted under his watch. Although it would have required a total change in tactics and philosophy from having more attacking options at his disposal. Would like to have seen him given at least half a season in hindsight.

The one thing I would say about Gray he was a great coach, he bought cheap and developed players, had he stayed he would have made the lads he signed into better players.

We would have a match fit, well drilled team and would not be having to sell the ground to pay the debts. He got good loans in and we forget Westwood, lees, hutch, lee, loovens, all Gray signing that cost the grand sum of 0 pounds.

we probably would not had got to Wembley, the first year but he would had built year on year improving the team and the infrastructure of the whole club. Youngsters coming through would have developed into first team players and now we would have been knocking on the door if not already promoted.an

but we will never know except the team Gray left us for got promoted last year.

I have always thought the biggest factor was the timing of Chansiri taking over the club. If he had bought the club just before the decision to sell Antonio was made, the course of history could have been very different. With Chansiri's money, the club could have made a better fist of keeping Antonio (or at least forced a sale at a considerably higher price). It would also have been possible back then to sign Wickham for possibly around £4 million. It would have been far easier to build a promotion winning side a year or two earlier than Chansiri took over. Of course, that is all water under the bridge now and we will never know. But it is one of those things that is interesting to surmise and think what if?