Is it time to re-evaluate Steve Burtenshaw?

Hi, QPR fan in peace here. Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I thought I'd give the viewpoint from the perspective of the only other team Burtenshaw managed on a full time basis. It goes without saying that my opinion of him is about on a par with most of yours. In my opinion, he was a total, unmitigated disaster, the worst manager we have ever had. 

When he took over in August 1978, QPR were a team in transition. We had just avoided relegation the season before after losing Dave Sexton to Man U in the close season (Frank Sibley, a number 2 not cut out to be a number 1) and it was a job to try and rebuild the team but the facts are he simply wasn't up to it. We still had a chunk of the team that had just missed out on the league title in 1976 and it just needed a few good young players to freshen it up. Just consider some of the names he still had at the club: England internationals Phil Parkes, Dave Clement, Ian Gillard, John Hollins, Stan Bowles, Gerry Francis plus handy experienced players like Don Shanks and Peter Eastoe. 

We also had an emerging striking talent in Paul Goddard plus we'd just signed Glenn Roeder who at the time had just broken into the England B team whilst at second division Orient and was considered one of the most promising players outside the top division. As an example of his cluelessness and whether it was because he didn't actually sign him (deal was done before he took over), Roeder didn't get in the first team for the first four months of the season!

We started off pretty badly picking up only two points from the first ten before getting our first win in the next game and following this with two wins in the next three. We then only won another three games all season and since that early season three wins in four we picked up just seventeen points from sixty six. We were relegated with two games to play by six points (equivalent to about 10 today). Only the fact that somehow that season Birmingham and Chelsea were even worse than us did we not finish dead last. About the only thing he did right was giving a seventeen year old Clive Allen his full debut in the second last home game where he scored a hat trick . As I said earlier, with the good players he had at his disposal, a competent manager would have kept them up. Ultimately he was another who could coach but could not hack it in the hot seat.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The younger fans they are having it bad today, that was the worst time in my 50+ years of supporting the Owls, but Burtenshaw had the vision to start a proper youth set up, that eventually paid dividends, until Wilkinson scrapped it 10 years later.

51 minutes ago, adelphi1867 said:

The younger fans they are having it bad today, that was the worst time in my 50+ years of supporting the Owls, but Burtenshaw had the vision to start a proper youth set up, that eventually paid dividends, until Wilkinson scrapped it 10 years later.

Dis Wilkinson scrap yer youth system? I never heard it said before.
I know Wilkinson is given a lot of credit for revamping Leeds youth system to Thorpe Arch (I think) that got Leeds they exciting young side under David O'Leary. Before Risdale went mad and and the club had a financial meltdown.

What does Adelphi 1867 think of the post saying that Burtemnshaw was very partial to brown envelopes?

Burtenshaw at SWFC and QPR was truly dreadful.

Oh and by the way I should point out that the Wednesday Youth Scheme had been bringing through great players way befor Burtenshaw e.g. Swan, Kay, Megson, Fantham, etc, etc.

2 hours ago, Owls Loyal said:

What does Adelphi 1867 think of the post saying that Burtemnshaw was very partial to brown envelopes?

Burtenshaw at SWFC and QPR was truly dreadful.

Oh and by the way I should point out that the Wednesday Youth Scheme had been bringing through great players way befor Burtenshaw e.g. Swan, Kay, Megson, Fantham, etc, etc.

True, all in the 50's and 60's.

As for brown envelopes, how did Hinchliffe manage to pass a medical at Hillsboro when he failed a medical at Spurs, went on to sign a 4 year deal at Hillsboro, and how many games did he play?.

Steve Burtenshaw was involved in the linking of Middlewood Rovers to SWFC. This of course came to fruition later in the 70s/early 80s with Mel Sterland, Mark Smith and all. 

He was fined as a result of the investigations into the so-called 'bungs' scandal in the 90s.

I spoke to lots of people in regards to my book 'Our Lowest Ebb?' (available at all good bookshops now!) - Steve Burtenshaw intitially agreed to meet, but pulled out. The reason being that he found it a bit upsetting and too depressing to think about. I didn't push it - as the guy's in his 80s now. 

12 minutes ago, Bearwood Owl1 said:

Steve Burtenshaw was involved in the linking of Middlewood Rovers to SWFC. This of course came to fruition later in the 70s/early 80s with Mel Sterland, Mark Smith and all. 

He was fined as a result of the investigations into the so-called 'bungs' scandal in the 90s.

I spoke to lots of people in regards to my book 'Our Lowest Ebb?' (available at all good bookshops now!) - Steve Burtenshaw intitially agreed to meet, but pulled out. The reason being that he found it a bit upsetting and too depressing to think about. I didn't push it - as the guy's in his 80s now. 

Hey pal, is your book available on Amazon, I am in Western Canada, how would I get a copy over here?

Thanks

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, eightbelow said:

Hey pal, is your book available on Amazon, I am in Western Canada, how would I get a copy over here?

Thanks

4 minutes ago, eightbelow said:

Thanks

Great stuff - thank you. It is certainly on Amazon's UK site - so I guess for Canada also. I'd happily send you one from here also - signed/dedicated if you like. Downside is it's a few quid in postage 😞

Cheers and UTO - John

7 minutes ago, Bearwood Owl1 said:

Great stuff - thank you. It is certainly on Amazon's UK site - so I guess for Canada also. I'd happily send you one from here also - signed/dedicated if you like. Downside is it's a few quid in postage 😞

Cheers and UTO - John

I will DM you, I would be happy to pay you for the book as I know how much work even a labour of love can be. We were so bad in the mid 70's but I just loved the club, its hard to feel the same way for me at the moment.

On 08/06/2019 at 17:37, asteener1867 said:
1983 Campo Grande
1983 Rio Branco
1984 Friburguense
1984 Al-Ittihad
1985 Democrata
1987 America
1989–1990 Bragantino
1991 Guarani
1991 Flamengo
1992–1993 Ponte Preta
1993–1995 Palmeiras
1995 Flamengo
1995 Paraná
1995–1996 Palmeiras
1997 Santos
1998 Corinthians
1998–2000 Brazil
2001 Corinthians
2002 Palmeiras
2002–2004 Cruzeiro
2004 Santos
2005–2006 Real Madrid
2006–2007 Santos
2008–2009 Palmeiras
2009 Santos
2010 Atlético Mineiro
2010–2012 Flamengo
2012–2013 Grêmio
2013 Fluminense
2014–2015 Flamengo
2015 Cruzeiro
2016 Tianjin Quanjian
2017 Sport Recife
2019- Vasco da Gama

Got about a bit hasn't he?...Should arrive at Hillsboro' any minute mate lol

Vasco de gama his last club...fittingly enough...probably the only bloke thats travelled further .............

I love the fact that he left Palmeiras in 1995, and was back in charge of them by the end of the year having managed two other clubs!