Bearwood Owl1

Is it time to re-evaluate Steve Burtenshaw?

4 minutes ago, Utah Owl said:

Even so strange timing, by this time Burtenshaw was getting better results, and Ashurst got off to a shocking start. The fact that it went down to the final game of the season was a complete embarrassment.

It was only by virtue of the fact that we won the last 5 at home that we stopped up at all and in the first game of that run we had to rely on an 86th minute OG from Colchester to save us, in front of less than 7,000 fans. We worshipped Accurst as a saviour at the time, but in retrospect I'm not sure that Burtenshaw would have been as bad or worse.

Which brings me back to where I started. It's 45 years ago now, so there can be a bit of objective distance. Maybe it's time to re-evaluate SB (even if only a little!)

On 10/06/2019 at 18:01, Bearwood Owl1 said:

Was told that there was 'sack the board' chants when he went. Though that happened most weeks I guess :)

Good coach, good bloke, failed as manager I think will be the argument.

For most of the first home match after the sacking, the Kop chanted for Burtenshaw and against McGee (something about his parentage) - I was only 15 and I've often wondered since what they were thinking, but that's what happened.    

"Sack the board" chants most weeks?  I'm less sure about this, but I don't think so.  I think we were remarkably supportive, looking back.   Maybe they were more deferential times, there was no social media (even the radio 'phone-in was yet to be invented), and the local papers were more or less supportive of the club (perhaps they had a cosy relationship or thought that positive stories sell papers - I don't know).  Obviously the majority of fans had simply stopped going - perhaps only the more upbeat remained - which could be why some people have a rose tinted view of the era (just idle speculation).

Steve Burtenshaw was probably appointed with a brief to re-build the club from the bottom up, and his work with the youth side of it is well acknowledged - David Grant, Mark Smith, John Pearson and Mel Sterland all came through the youth set up.  I think that he also tried to produce a side playing attractive, passing, football - maybe that's why some people liked him.  Of course a passing side will usually lose out to a "more robust" side, unless the players are significantly better, and ours definitely were not - hence the results (and there's nothing attractive about getting battered every week).  Bert McGee was said to be a tough character, and his appointment of Ashurst, and later Charlton, reflects this - we needed to kick our way out of division three.

Just to end my ramble (guess who's off sick today), it amused me when, a few years later, Martin Peters was appointed manager of United and told the press that  his old England colleague Jack, who was by then our manager, had called him to say, "you have to kick your way out of the third division".  Peters responded by insisting, "we're going to play our way out", which of course they did - into division 4!  

• Agree 1

Away game at somewhere or other when Len ashurst was manager...getting hammered...Wednesday fan

"we ought to take a centre half off and put one of Ashursts eyebrows on..................."

• Agree 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Alfie Tupper said:

For most of the first home match after the sacking, the Kop chanted for Burtenshaw and against McGee (something about his parentage) - I was only 15 and I've often wondered since what they were thinking, but that's what happened.    

"Sack the board" chants most weeks?  I'm less sure about this, but I don't think so.  I think we were remarkably supportive, looking back.   Maybe they were more deferential times, there was no social media (even the radio 'phone-in was yet to be invented), and the local papers were more or less supportive of the club (perhaps they had a cosy relationship or thought that positive stories sell papers - I don't know).  Obviously the majority of fans had simply stopped going - perhaps only the more upbeat remained - which could be why some people have a rose tinted view of the era (just idle speculation).

Steve Burtenshaw was probably appointed with a brief to re-build the club from the bottom up, and his work with the youth side of it is well acknowledged - David Grant, Mark Smith, John Pearson and Mel Sterland all came through the youth set up.  I think that he also tried to produce a side playing attractive, passing, football - maybe that's why some people liked him.  Of course a passing side will usually lose out to a "more robust" side, unless the players are significantly better, and ours definitely were not - hence the results (and there's nothing attractive about getting battered every week).  Bert McGee was said to be a tough character, and his appointment of Ashurst, and later Charlton, reflects this - we needed to kick our way out of division three.

Just to end my ramble (guess who's off sick today), it amused me when, a few years later, Martin Peters was appointed manager of United and told the press that  his old England colleague Jack, who was by then our manager, had called him to say, "you have to kick your way out of the third division".  Peters responded by insisting, "we're going to play our way out", which of course they did - into division 4!  

Yes I guess most weeks might be pushing it - but the fans weren't averse to having a go -  a few cushion throwing incidents a nd previous chairman Sir Andrew Stephen going to game via taxi as fed up of having his car scratched just two examples.

Agree on the wider points about SB. Two ex players I've interviewed really rated him. So he had something. I think I'll need to acknowledge the counter argument, but accept that he basically failed when I finish writing this bit up.