#OnThisDay 40 YEARS AGO!

On ‎06‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 15:35, Ibbo48 said:

We bought some class exCity players back then didn’t we?

Ian Mellor

Tony Coleman

Phil Henson

Denis Leman was about the only one I always enjoyed watching.

Are there any others ?

jeff Johnson was ex city …….surprised you didn't rate tony coleman ,I thought he was our best player the season he spent here .

Mellor was a strange player technically gifted but lacked get up and go a target of the boo boys and very much a subject of criticism but the scorer of two of our most iconic goals that gives him a lasting place in Wednesday folklore. My abiding memory of him is in one of our rare appearances on YTVs Sunday football highlights of someone clearly shouting ‘ get in him mellor ‘which sort of summed him up 

1 hour ago, torryowl said:

jeff Johnson was ex city …….surprised you didn't rate tony coleman ,I thought he was our best player the season he spent here .

Really? Christ I thought Coleman was total rubbish and part of the reason we went down,the amount of times he lost the ball or gave it away in attacking poitions was partly why we went down & city let him go,Sissons was a serious upgrade a couple of years later he was twice the player coleman was,westham offered to chuck him in as part of the Eustace deal for around 10K what a killer that was.

8 hours ago, legendaryswan said:

Really? Christ I thought Coleman was total rubbish and part of the reason we went down,the amount of times he lost the ball or gave it away in attacking poitions was partly why we went down & city let him go,Sissons was a serious upgrade a couple of years later he was twice the player coleman was,westham offered to chuck him in as part of the Eustace deal for around 10K what a killer that was.

coleman was a great entertainer and was one a the few in that side that could make things happen …...I thought sissons was a bit of a show pony who's heart wasn't really in it playing up north …..

11 hours ago, torryowl said:

Sorry, torry, Id forgotten about Jeff Johnson. Think he came via Palace after City. Liked him a lot, a real grafter.

The unfortunate thing with Coleman, for me, is that , like Spider, I can remember him for a couple of spectacular goals and not much else. He was supposed to be a bit of a lad, wasn’t he ?

The mere mention of his name always reminds me of that god awful night at a rain soaked Hillsborough against City that I’d prefer to forget 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ibbo48 said:

Sorry, torry, Id forgotten about Jeff Johnson. Think he came via Palace after City. Liked him a lot, a real grafter.

The unfortunate thing with Coleman, for me, is that , like Spider, I can remember him for a couple of spectacular goals and not much else. He was supposed to be a bit of a lad, wasn’t he ?

The mere mention of his name always reminds me of that god awful night at a rain soaked Hillsborough against City that I’d prefer to forget 

a bit of a lad is an under statement …….last I heard he was living in Bangkok,  I doubt he 's doing missionary work .  

On 06/06/2019 at 16:21, asteener1867 said:

To be fair to him..He was responsible for one of the "Biggest mentals" Ive ever been in amongst Owls fans at Blackburn..There was mouth frothing and all sorts...I banged me head on a crash barrier...bloke next to me was just sorta..."fitting"..I dunno how else to put it

still my favourite ever away day/night

On 06/06/2019 at 12:40, Ibbo48 said:

Trouble with Spider is, apart from the 2 legendary goals, I don’t remember him doing much else.

Am I doing him a disservice ?

Just can’t recall him having many blinders.

Largely anonymous, didn't do a lot   But he scoted THAT goal against the numpties. We'll never forget that. 

Edited by Sergeant Tibbs

On 06/06/2019 at 16:21, asteener1867 said:

To be fair to him..He was responsible for one of the "Biggest mentals" Ive ever been in amongst Owls fans at Blackburn..There was mouth frothing and all sorts...I banged me head on a crash barrier...bloke next to me was just sorta..."fitting"..I dunno how else to put it

Will never forget that night

Mental doesn't even come close.

On 08/06/2019 at 15:16, Sergeant Tibbs said:

Largely anonymous, didn't do a lot   But he scoted THAT goal against the numpties. We'll never forget that. 

You can't beat a good scoting!

• Haha 1

On 06/06/2019 at 23:32, Utah Owl said:

Dunsby I'm shocked! My faith in you has been temporarily shattered!

The goal against Blackburn was 1980 not 1979!

Tbh surprised no one got there on this factual slip earlier!

Tbh surprised you didn't understand this post!

On 06/06/2019 at 05:50, Hougoumont said:

Reight player...scored a superb goal for us at Blackburn two months before he signed for us. That's a true legend. 

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, roaminowl said:

Tbh surprised you didn't understand this post!

Missed that one!

Bit like Spiderman in front of goal most of the time tbh!

• Haha 1

On 08/06/2019 at 10:34, Ibbo48 said:

Likewise, he scored at Old Trafford when we were 2-0 down to give us hope of staying up, but on the whole he was poor.  He was 24 when we signed him, played about 30 games, then went to places like Southport and Stockport. For some reason he is associated with that game along with Doyle and Bowyer in my mind.