Diame

Not seen much of Diame, play off final aside, but with Lee, Bannan and Hutch all near 30 this wouldn't exactly be the kind of signing Bruce alluded to (lowering the age of the squad, fresh legs etc). 

Having said that, if Bruce rates him then maybe we should go for him. Whelan and Jedinak seem to have done alright at Villa but they are supplemented by younger players like Grealish, Hourihane and McGinn.

2 hours ago, gurujuan said:

Take out Pelupessy who most feel might be moved on, and the fact that Bruce uses Reach further forward, and the rest look pretty “ancient” to me. 

Have Bannan or Hutchinson's ages dimmed their energy levels? I wouldn't say so.

This obsession with age is all a bit misguided, in my opinion.

Manchester City don't seem to have suffered too badly from playing the likes of Silva (33), Gündogan (28), Fernandinho (34), and Delph (29) in central midfield.

6 hours ago, poite said:

Played 29 games in the premier league last season.

But apparently his legs have gone and he's not good enough for Sheffield Wednesday in the Championship. 

Ok

George Boyd played 36 times in the PL before joining us and he is/was one of the hardest working. 

Diame has quality but drifts in and out of games. He could be quality but we’ve been bitten with Abdi, Jones and Boyd. Surely there must be someone out there who we can build a team around for the next few seasons and not rely on more relatively expensive short term options with no resale value to fall back on.

Interesting article here. Bruce wanted him at Villa the January before he left. I reckon their history and as he was a previous target of DC and Carlos would put him on our list.

My view on him has been based on his time at Newcastle after joining from Hull where he just didn’t look the same player. But as per the article they tried to convert him to a no10 and he was anonymous for long periods of games. He improved since reverting to deeper in midfield.

I still think he would probably be expensive and we could do with younger players as investments, but if Bruce can get something from him similar to what he had at Hull then it could be worth it.  

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/how-mo-diame-went-player-14490355.amp

Edited by Bluesteel

27 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

Interesting article here. Bruce wanted him at Villa the January before he left. I reckon their history and as he was a previous target of DC and Carlos would put him on our list.

My view on him has been based on his time at Newcastle after joining from Hull where he just didn’t look the same player. But as per the article they tried to convert him to a no10 and he was anonymous for long periods of games. He improved since reverting to deeper in midfield.

I still think he would probably be expensive and we could do with younger players as investments, but if Bruce can get something from him similar to what he had at Hull then it could be worth it.  

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/how-mo-diame-went-player-14490355.amp

I just don’t see us changing our policy in terms of recruitment straight away. It would be nice to start recruiting young and hungry players with something to prove and in time help us become both successful and in turn much sought after assets. I think because at the moment we’re still stuck with players who have been a part of the Wednesday scene for the last four or five years or even longer, I’m expecting tweaks rather than wholesale changes as I think Bruce saw enough in the second half of the season to suggest that he could yet take this squad to the premier league?

Edited by Great Big Galaa

7 minutes ago, Great Big Galaa said:

I just don’t see us changing our policy in terms of recruitment straight away. It would be nice to start recruiting young and hungry players with something to prove and in time help us become both successful and in turn much sought after assets. I think because at the moment we’re still stuck with players who have been a part of the Wednesday scene for the last four or five years or even longer, I’m expecting tweaks rather than wholesale changes as I think Bruce saw enough in the second half of the season to suggest that he could yet take this squad to the premier league?

I know what you mean but he does want younger legs in. Links to Sam Morsy, Odubajo and Jordan Willis for example. All would have more resale value.

20 hours ago, gurujuan said:

Out of interest, what sort of midfielder is Diame? Haven’t really noticed him too much playing for Newcastle, but he doesn’t seem to be a holding midfielder. In his early days, he was a box to box player, but doesn’t really seem to be used in that role.

Nobody has yet engaged with me about this. I’m genuinely unclear on what type of midfielder he is now. Didn’t see too much of Newcastle last season, so I don’t really know what role he played Anyone see many of his games?