Diame

1 minute ago, Hack-Abusi said:

Baffles me how anyone can turn their nose up at a player like Diame?!?! Ok he's the wrong side of the 30 but lets not keep banging the "we need youth" drum all the time .. some people are getting caught up in it and believe we just have to sign players in their early 20's!!

We need a mix of young raw talent and seasoned experienced pro's ...

Diame would absolutely boss this divsion and we be a proper astute signing on a 1 year deal possibly 2 at a stretch. Him and Hutch in midfield, the absolute brusiers we'd need to bash up the opposition. Very good signing lets not kid ourselves ..

I don’t think anyone is doubting the ability of Diame, or even that we couldn’t do with a player of his type. Also, players are not past it when they hit thirty. The argument would be, would you want all your midfield options to be thirty something? Worse still, do you want your back up players to be a similar age We’ve seen this before, it doesn’t work.

I know I seem to be banging on about younger players, but it’s a case of redressing the balance. When you field a side that often contains just one player under 25, it’s hardly a good balance between you and experience is it?

4 minutes ago, A12owl said:

Bruno the Brighton player retired at 38 this year . Admittedly he only made 17 appearances but there is a lot of difference between a 38 year old and 31 year old. 

Keogh played 49 games for derby this season. He's 32.

If a player keeps himself in good shape and has the right attitude then 30+ is not a problem.

Though there was plenty of youthful legs around him in that Derby side

1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

Though there was plenty of youthful legs around him in that Derby side

I'll quote this than the post above as this is exactly what I think should happen

experienced players surrounded by youth .. I'm pretty sure that Bruce will know this .. as do his coaching staff - we've needed pace and youth since losing to Hull and the abject transfer policy by Carlos affected both Jos and now under Bruce ..

I've every faith that Bruce will bring in quality experienced players - Diame, Borner (sp?) and what not surrounded by youth and upcoming loanees

2 hours ago, gurujuan said:

He would, but the problem is, the age of our current midfield How many times last season were we bemoaning the lack of younger legs in the midfield area, as they couldn’t get up and down the pitch. Well they will all be a year older, so adding another 31 year old to the group, is sheer lunacy in my opinion. It’s nothing against Diame, I felt the same about the Downing rumour, another thirty something in that area, is not what we need.

Our current midfield options aren't ancient, nor are they lacking in energy:

Hutchinson - 29

Pelupessy - 26

Lee - 30

Bannan - 29

Reach - 26

Add Diame and a few pacy players in the wide positions, and we'd have a very decent set of options there.

I think some of our fans are in danger of throwing the baby out with the bathwater after being burned by Abdi, Jones and Boyd. Not all players over 30 are on the scrapheap.

Guest everydays_wednesday
26 minutes ago, A12owl said:

Bruno the Brighton player retired at 38 this year . Admittedly he only made 17 appearances but there is a lot of difference between a 38 year old and 31 year old. 

Keogh played 49 games for derby this season. He's 32.

If a player keeps himself in good shape and has the right attitude then 30+ is not a problem.

Agree...i mean look at Ronaldo, he is 34 and is poo !

Edited by everydays_wednesday

Why are so many people quick to right off players over the age of 30? That is prime age for a CM role as an example. No reason players cant be playing until they are 35+ given the fitness methods and training programmes available to them.

Players should be playing longer!

9 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Hutchinson - 29

Pelupessy - 26

Lee - 30

Bannan - 29

Reach - 26

Add Diame and a few pacy players in the wide positions, and we'd have a very decent set of options there.

I think some of our fans are in danger of throwing the baby out with the bathwater after being burned by Abdi, Jones and Boyd. Not all players over 30 are on the scrapheap.

Take out Pelupessy who most feel might be moved on, and the fact that Bruce uses Reach further forward, and the rest look pretty “ancient” to me. 

15 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Hutchinson - 29

Pelupessy - 26

Lee - 30

Bannan - 29

Reach - 26

There have been some notable exceptions.

Steve Watson was quality for us.

That defender Williams from Derby was brilliant.

That defender Gardiner too, until he got injured. 

But on the whole, the last contract before retiring players haven't been that good for us.

Edited by Beholder

We need to separate the idea that a player is too old at 30, that’s not the case. A side of 30 year olds, is not a good idea though, there has to be a balance. Currently, the balance isn’t there with Wednesday, the average age is too high, and with only one player under 25, we surely don’t need to add any more thirty somethings. It’s not the individual, it the collective unit 

8 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Take out Pelupessy who most feel might be moved on, and the fact that Bruce uses Reach further forward, and the rest look pretty “ancient” to me. 

If you take out Pelupessy and Reach, it only leaves Bannan really as anything reliable in that CM area, Lee and Hutch don't fill me with much confidence to stay fit. 

Out of interest, what sort of midfielder is Diame? Haven’t really noticed him too much playing for Newcastle, but he doesn’t seem to be a holding midfielder. In his early days, he was a box to box player, but doesn’t really seem to be used in that role.

19 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Bloody hell Guru! 29 ancient??? 

You've really got some age issues. Whilst I think everyone’s in agreement that we need (cliché bingo time) pace, freshening up, younger average age.... you seem lately to be obsessed with the age 25 and now 29 is ancient!!??!!

For what it’s worth I think this one (Diame) is one I’d pass on. A combination of high wages, ageing athletic player, questionable desire etc means there may be better options available but I think with your blanket stances on age you’re in danger of being the boy who cried wolf. 

12 hours ago, Prince said:

Waddle was thought to be done and a spent force, He was out of the England fold at the time.

Nobody was looking at Waddle and thinking he could hack it back in England.

Diame has tore this league a new one every time he has had a run in it. 

Class is permanent form is temporary re Waddle, always thought Waddle would do well. 

Diame your making him sound like a world beater.

9 minutes ago, Harrysgame said:

Class is permanent form is temporary re Waddle, always thought Waddle would do well. 

Diame your making him sound like a world beater.

Not a world beater just a class act in this division and the type of player we need.

6 hours ago, casbahowl said:

Where did you watch that Marseille team in the early 90’s?

Well, their European games were often on Sportsnight; I remember the floodlight failure game against Milan, where Waddle beat half of the team and then fell over. Also, Waddle is held in an extremely high regard by Marseille fans,

38 minutes ago, PopePiusX said:

Well, their European games were often on Sportsnight; I remember the floodlight failure game against Milan, where Waddle beat half of the team and then fell over. Also, Waddle is held in an extremely high regard by Marseille fans,

I only ask mate as my sister used to work near Marseille early 90s and her then boyfriend used to take her to games.