Diame

Diame was good enough to play 29 times for a mid-table Premier League team, yet some of our fans are turning their noses up at him?

Baffling.

I get the drive to add youth and energy to our squad, but if we also get the opportunity to recruit proven quality such as Diame, who our manager happens to have worked with in the past, then we'd be mad to pass it up.

He'd add a heck of a lot to our midfield.

8 hours ago, gurujuan said:

You and me, it seems plenty are happy to repeat the same mistakes

For every 30/31 year old transferred this summer that fails another will succeed. It's about signing the right player on the right package, not just a player of the right age. Always has been, always will be.

3 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Diame was good enough to play 29 times for a mid-table Premier League team, yet some of our fans are turning their noses up at him?

Baffling.

I get the drive to add youth and energy to our squad, but if we also get the opportunity to recruit proven quality such as Diame, who our manager happens to have worked with in the past, then we'd be mad to pass it up.

He would, but the problem is, the age of our current midfield How many times last season were we bemoaning the lack of younger legs in the midfield area, as they couldn’t get up and down the pitch. Well they will all be a year older, so adding another 31 year old to the group, is sheer lunacy in my opinion. It’s nothing against Diame, I felt the same about the Downing rumour, another thirty something in that area, is not what we need.

13 hours ago, Prince said:

If you have kept yourself fit and are playing near your peak then it's not a problem.

Lionel Messi is 31, Christiano Ronaldo is 34 both are still at the top of their game and don't struggle to keep up with the pace of play.

exactly. while some idiots end up packing up at 28-29 because the money has gone to there head ie mcgugan ,abdi etc . its how you look after yourself and having the right work ethic . too many footballers these days don't have that. 

12 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Baffling.

david jones was 31 and played regular for burnley ,look what a throw signing he was 3 years on 30k a week what an incredibly bad signing he was. steve bruce will know if he is worth bringing in. 

Our problem has been 3/4 year contracts for ageing players. 

Signing Diame on a free with a 1 year contract is a great move, adding in promotion bonus etc. 

Different type of midfielder to what we have at the club currently and as part of a balanced transfer strategy this summer I’d see this as a good move. 

Some will get their knickers in a twist if he’s the first signing due to age and what Bruce said. However, we should bear in mind the younger prem loans will be towards the end of the window. 

5 minutes ago, DesWalker said:

Our problem has been 3/4 year contracts for ageing players. 

Signing Diame on a free with a 1 year contract is a great move, adding in promotion bonus etc. 

Different type of midfielder to what we have at the club currently and as part of a balanced transfer strategy this summer I’d see this as a good move. 

Some will get their knickers in a twist if he’s the first signing due to age and what Bruce said. However, we should bear in mind the younger prem loans will be towards the end of the window. 

Well true, if Diame was the only one of those linked, who signed, and the rest were Premier League youngsters. It still doesn’t resolve the issue of our ageing midfield though. Four thirty somethings in one department, would be too much, in my opinion, especially as they would all be looking to start games

Edited by gurujuan

1 hour ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Baffling.

I broadly agree, but have Jones and Abdi in mind who fitted a similar profile. 

I also agree about experience  but our current midfield consists of plenty of experience. Assuming Reach a wide midfield  player, we have Bannan, Hutch and hopefully Lee in CM. 

Wouldn't be against him signing, but we need some legs in there. The stand out midfielders in the league  last season were not necessarily 'experienced' players.

(Forgot about Joey as a CM option, but easily done)

Edited by striker

2 minutes ago, striker said:

I broadly agree, but have Jones and Abdi in mind who fitted a similar profile. 

I also agree about experience  but our current midfield consists of plenty of experience. Assuming Reach a wide midfield  player, we have Bannan, Hutch and hopefully Lee in CM. 

Wouldn't be against him signing, but we need some legs in there. The stand out midfielders in the league  last season were not necessarily 'experienced' players.

(Forgot about Joey as a CM option, but easily done)

Probably my take on it, too many old players in one particular department. If we brought in a centre back of that age, and ability, there wouldn’t be an issue, but 4 thirty year olds in one midfield is asking for trouble

Baffling.

What’s he got that Joey Pelupessy hasn’t? 

• Haha 2

Baffling.

David Jones and Boyd were the same. But when they are expected to come in and carry a side forward it is much different.

Diame was brilliant in the playoff final. But whenever I’ve seen him for Newcastle he’s never played like that.

Age is nothing to a certain extend and 30/31 is not old in this day and age.. look at Yaya Toure who tore it up in the prem with City who was well into his 30's.

If we could sign him, wages / fee's, he would be exactly the type of player we have been longing for, for years in the midfield role.

But lets trust Bruce to make the right decisions, (well we don't really have a choice) but I wouldn't be unhappy to see him in a Wednesday shirt.

Adding just one experienced player like this with youngsters (mid 20's) would be ideal.  I'm all for shaking up the tree regarding playing staff and would like

to see a few shifted out even if that's more popular first team players.

Aarons / Willis / Diame / Obeju?? , Boner , Bidwell, hopefully Hector.  all fine by me.. can see a young fast striker coming in, maybe loan too.. Chong Man Utd ?

15 hours ago, Prince said:

It still goes with whatever market we are in. All the best sides are a blend of youth and experience. Just because we have had or pants pulled down with experienced players doesn't mean they are all ready for the knackers yard.

Baffles me how anyone can turn their nose up at a player like Diame?!?! Ok he's the wrong side of the 30 but lets not keep banging the "we need youth" drum all the time .. some people are getting caught up in it and believe we just have to sign players in their early 20's!!

We need a mix of young raw talent and seasoned experienced pro's ...

Diame would absolutely boss this divsion and we be a proper astute signing on a 1 year deal possibly 2 at a stretch. Him and Hutch in midfield, the absolute brusiers we'd need to bash up the opposition. Very good signing lets not kid ourselves ..