Our squad as it stands now....

So I'm very confident Palmer, Lee & Westwood are staying, if this is the case, below is our current squad as it stands, what areas are most important to strengthen? who would you listen to offers for? 

GK

Westwood

Dawson

Wildsmith (make available for loan)

Defenders

RB - Palmer

RB - Baker (make available for loan/transfer)

RB/CB - Iorfa

CB - Lees

CB - Thorinley

CB - Van Aken (make available for transfer)

LB - Fox 

LB - Penney

Midfield

MC - Bannan

MC - Lee

MC - Pelupessy

MC - Hutchinson

ML - Reach

Attack

SC - Fletcher

SC - Forestieri (listen to offers)

SC - Joao

SC - Nuhiu

SC - Winnall (make available for transfer)

SC - Rhodes (make available for transfer)

It's quite damming how much we need some pace on the wings, we need 2 or 3 really! Another centre mid is needed too, Hutch & Lee have the ability but we'll be lucky to get 30 games out of them each, Pelupessy is a trier and can do a job but I'd like see someone else come in who is creative so we're not so reliant on Bannan, Nick Powell would have been ideal but glad we pulled out of it if he's wanting crazy wages, them days have left us for now.

Not sure who's going to buy any of our strikers but for me I'd play Fletcher up front with Joao as it stands, all though if Nixon is right and we can get 8 million for him then he'd be gone for me! 

Defence wise, we need either Hector back (unlikely) or another CB, the German lad who's name escapes me looks like it's all agreed so you could put him in there, maybe Van Aken could come good if he has a decent pre-season? Not sure, doesn't seem a Bruce type of CB for me. Thorniley was brilliant last season and wouldn't be surprised to see him partner Lees next season. Big season for Penney, I'd like to see him be our first choice LB, he was brillaint in September but was played out of position and his form suffered, then he got injured... he's a great full back though and think under Bruce we could see a quality player, I wouldn't be surprised if come September/October time we're screaming for him to get a new contract again as he only has 1 year left, but also think we could strengthen at LB, I think Bidwell would be a good free transfer. Fox I'm not bothered about either way, I think the stick he gets is OTT, decent squad player for me but wouldn't be bothered if he went elsewhere, but I think he's a good squad player, a bit below Palmer I'd say in terms of 'solid championship full back'. Also sounds like Odubajo is coming in too, not sure if it's all agreed but he'd be a good addition. Iorfa probably move to CB next season but gives us cover there too? Baker probably won't fit our squad.

If Bruce wants 6 new signings then I'm guess it'll be a new CB, RB, LB, CM & 2 wingers (with pace I hope!) 

• Thanks 3

The one thing for me is we keep hearing the reason we have not got promoted is because its the same 6 or 7 players in the starting eleven for the last 4 or 5 season.

We need to freshen things up, bring some new blood in and some pace on the wings.

Then we get to the start of the season and the line up is the same as every other season Westwood, Palmer, Fox, Lees, Hutch, Bannan, Reach, Fessi, Nuihu, Joao.

I am not saying these are not good players, but there is not a lot of freshening up happening each season. We need better players in key positions or we will continue to not be good enough and the league gets stronger every season. 

My Opinion:

GK

Westwood

Dawson

Wildsmith (make available for year long loan)

Defenders

RB - Palmer

RB - Baker (make available for loan/transfer)

RB - Iorfa

CB - Lees

CB - Thorniley

CB - Van Aken (make available for transfer)

LB - Fox (make available for transfer)

LB - Penney

Midfield

MC - Bannan

MC - Lee

MC - Pelupessy (make available for transfer)

MC - Hutchinson

ML - Reach

Attack

SC - Fletcher

SC - Forestieri

SC - Joao

SC - Nuhiu

SC - Winnall (make available for transfer)

SC - Rhodes (make available for transfer)

If we were listening to offers I would be for all the strikers bar Forestieri and Reach.

I would love to be able to bring in a new CF but with the amount we have and the budget we will no doubt be restricted too we may have to go with our lot.

11 minutes ago, room0035 said:

The one thing for me is we keep hearing the reason we have not got promoted is because its the same 6 or 7 players in the starting eleven for the last 4 or 5 season.

We need to freshen things up, bring some new blood in and some pace on the wings.

Then we get to the start of the season and the line up is the same as every other season Westwood, Palmer, Fox, Lees, Hutch, Bannan, Reach, Fessi, Nuihu, Joao.

I am not saying these are not good players, but there is not a lot of freshening up happening each season. We need better players in key positions or we will continue to not be good enough and the league gets stronger every season. 

I think you make a good point, I've thought about this too.

However from Bruce's point of view he's going on what he's got now, also we have to take into account we can't spend like we have done before, it is a case of' working with what we've got'. 

Palmer, Lee & Westwood aren't just members of that failed promotion team, they've been here a while, (Palmer 2010, Lee 2012 & Westwood 2014) played under different managers/owners, there's nothing wrong with having a squad which has a good mix of players who are new signings, and club 'veterans'. I completley support the club's decision to offer them 3 new deals & keep our existing best players like Hutch, Bannan, Lees & Reach.

I'll go back to that 'mix' I mentioned, come first game of the season we could have a nice one of players who know the club and fresh faces, which is what we need I feel.

• Like 1

Hasn't Bruce gone on record saying he wants 24 First Team Squad players ???

The list only amounts to 22 with several ear-marked for loan/transfer (which I happen to agree with).

If you believe the papers, the new German CB (Borner) is a done deal, but this would still mean bring 6-7 new players in..

Desperately need pace in the middle to help link the defence/attack transition, and out also wide.

Possibly Lazaar & Aarons back on loan + Hector permanent..

1 hour ago, gurujuan said:

Pace down the wings is useful, but it’s more important that we get pace down the middle More goals are scored by a striker running behind

Can't remember the last time we did that. Didn't we score the least counter attack goals last season? Just 1 wasn't it all season. 

Just now, TheEnchanter said:

Can't remember the last time we did that. Didn't we score the least counter attack goals last season? Just 1 wasn't it all season. 

Wasn’t it Joao against Bristol City, I think it was? He is probably the only striker capable of doing that

Westwood

Hector            Lees.          Borner 

Odubajo          Lee      Hutchinson.       Bannan.       Reach. 

Fletcher.        Joao 

I’d like to give 3 at the back another go if we get Hector, Borner & Odubajo

23 minutes ago, chizumgeorge said:

With what money?

Well looks like we could be getting several in for free. One or two on loan and theres always the potential to do what we did with Iorfa and pick up some great bargains for small fees. Theres plenty of options but its about getting the right ones that want to be here. 

Edited by TheEnchanter

4 minutes ago, Blatter said:

The sale of Hillsborough ...remember.

Also some big hints that a crowd favourite or two will depart.

The sale of hillsborough will be for other things i expect as we are running at big losses. I wouldnt be expecting half a dozen starting 11 players arriving to be honest.

Agree with the op. Although I’d look to sell fox too and get another left back.

I think two full backs, two centre halves a central mid box to box player and two winger/forward types are what we will end up with. 

Based on nothing at all I could see us going for someone like Kodjia on loan up front as an extra if we move a couple out there.