Di Canio - 20 years ago.

On 05/06/2019 at 19:09, Road Runner said:

Without his attitude & the way he was he wouldn’t have been half the player he became. 

I remember the front page of the news of the world when he was supposed to come back and didn’t saying he couldn’t travel with depression. 

Only for the news of the world to photo graph him in Milan shopping and laughing with his wife I presume. He was never coming back until he found another club. Depression vanished not long after when Harry came calling. 

Wilson & Richards did hang him out to dry though, Richards wanted the top job and Wilson couldn’t handle players like that. 

I disagree,  with the attitude and the way he was he only became half the player he should have been 

18 minutes ago, the monk said:

Really do not remember him the way you describe ,he played when he felt like it .

As for" he never gave less than 100%"  do me a favour 

I do remember his shocking body language and how he could get the crowd on the backs of lesser players

And why some folk think the club should grovel round a bloke that has got himself banned for months is beyond me 

I always felt like he thought we should be honoured to have him play for us and was always a child like  tantrum away from leaving 

In my opinion he wanted out and  he engineered the move 

I think he was a self centred odious p...k

I think you have issues, go see a Nun. 

• Haha 1

I never understand why some of our fans side with Di Canio over the Alcock incident. Richards and Wilson may have made mistakes but both served us well and played a part in a great era for us when we won our only major trophy in nearly a hundred years, whilst Di Canio totally shafted us for his own gain. When we signed him he was on strike at Celtic so we knew what type of person we were getting. He was desperate to get away from us and went back to Italy straight after the incident. Whether we tried to contact him or not, he was employed by us and should have returned to face the music. Theres no  comparison with Cantona as he was at one of the biggest clubs in the world and wanted to stay there. Di Canio's antics and the fact we lost so much money on him played a big part in our demise over the next few years. It seems to me that some football fans will accept players treating them like sh!t if they're talented and exciting but then belittle lesser players who genuinely care and give 100%. 

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Nut said:

I never understand why some of our fans side with Di Canio over the Alcock incident. Richards and Wilson may have made mistakes but both served us well and played a part in a great era for us when we won our only major trophy in nearly a hundred years, whilst Di Canio totally shafted us for his own gain. When we signed him he was on strike at Celtic so we knew what type of person we were getting. He was desperate to get away from us and went back to Italy straight after the incident. Whether we tried to contact him or not, he was employed by us and should have returned to face the music. Theres no  comparison with Cantona as he was at one of the biggest clubs in the world and wanted to stay there. Di Canio's antics and the fact we lost so much money on him played a big part in our demise over the next few years. It seems to me that some football fans will accept players treating them like sh!t if they're talented and exciting but then belittle lesser players who genuinely care and give 100%. 

Richards was only interested in his personal trouser leg crawling to the FA and Wilson was totally out of his depth. An inept manager employed by an inept Chairman. Richards is best summed up in the refusal to give Big Ron another contract after he saved us from relegation, a spiteful act of revenge.

Di Canio was an enigmatic character who needed a manager with a big personality to handle him. Redknapp and Big Ron both got him under check. You could see the frustration with both Di Canio and Carbone when they were asked to link up with cart horses like Andy Booth. 

• Thanks 1

At Celtic we idolised this guy. When he turned the place upside down with his strike, we knew he had to go asap as no-one is bigger than the club but the one thing about his transfer from Celtic to Wednesday was you gave us cash (4mil i think) + Regi Blinker. That guy was on a hiding for nothing as he was seen as a replacement for PDC. I think he was the only player to be booed in the warm up and running out the tunnel by the Celtic fans. Regi Blinkers Celtic career died the day he signed.

I always thought that Di Canio stood out in the UK as we hadn't got players with that sort of natural skill, he never really cut it on the continent where they have. He's a player that you could build a team around if you could manage him properly but I remember moments of genius alongside petulant tantrums was that down to Wilson (who time would prove to be a poor manager) or the ambition of the players himself, on a good day he was worth the admission price alone so I won't slate him too much.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, toppOwl said:

I always thought that Di Canio stood out in the UK as we hadn't got players with that sort of natural skill, he never really cut it on the continent where they have. He's a player that you could build a team around if you could manage him properly but I remember moments of genius alongside petulant tantrums was that down to Wilson (who time would prove to be a poor manager) or the ambition of the players himself, on a good day he was worth the admission price alone so I won't slate him too much.

He was Box Office.

• Like 1

On 04/06/2019 at 11:51, WadsleyOwl said:

Only one thing Paulo thinks about or cares about and that is................Paulo. 

A great talent though. 

Quite agree, that's how his autobiography read to me too, never Paolo's fault always someone elses.

Guest ka58

Massively over rated by fans in terms of his performances for Wednesday.

a proper 90s sky sports poster boy Paulo.

On 09/06/2019 at 09:36, Birstall Owl said:

Quite agree, that's how his autobiography read to me too, never Paolo's fault always someone elses.

Yep. Fell out with every manager he played for more or less, always their fault. Genuinely thought he knew better than Capello, Lippi etc

On 08/06/2019 at 06:56, the monk said:

Really do not remember him the way you describe ,he played when he felt like it .

As for" he never gave less than 100%"  do me a favour 

I do remember his shocking body language and how he could get the crowd on the backs of lesser players

And why some folk think the club should grovel round a bloke that has got himself banned for months is beyond me 

I always felt like he thought we should be honoured to have him play for us and was always a child like  tantrum away from leaving 

In my opinion he wanted out and  he engineered the move 

I think he was a self centred odious p...k

For one blessed with such talent, I don't remember him for his football. The constant theatrics, it was all about him. 

Sunderkand and Swindon suffered the same fate as us, just vehicles for his insanity.

So many on here revere him. He wasn't worthy of the shirt, never mind the adulation.

On 08/06/2019 at 11:32, Prince said:

Richards was only interested in his personal trouser leg crawling to the FA and Wilson was totally out of his depth. An inept manager employed by an inept Chairman. Richards is best summed up in the refusal to give Big Ron another contract after he saved us from relegation, a spiteful act of revenge.

Di Canio was an enigmatic character who needed a manager with a big personality to handle him. Redknapp and Big Ron both got him under check. You could see the frustration with both Di Canio and Carbone when they were asked to link up with cart horses like Andy Booth. 

Despite both of them saying at the time Booth was their preferred partner.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Sham67 said:

Despite both of them saying at the time Booth was their preferred partner.

Are you sure?

I don't remember that at all, all I remember is the failed to control passes they played to him and a few times turning to the bench with open arms. 

Just now, Prince said:

Are you sure?

I don't remember that at all, all I remember is the failed to control passes they played to him and a few times turning to the bench with open arms. 

I agree about the limitations of Andy Booth, however, they both said it.

1 minute ago, Sham67 said:

I agree about the limitations of Andy Booth, however, they both said it.

Bloody hell talk about keeping the cart on the wheels for the sake of the team, Proof enough that Di Canio was a team player then if he was blowing smoke up Booth's jacksie :)

I remember both of them being frustrated with the fact that half the players where on a different level skill wise and unable to read passes let alone control them in Booth's case.