Di Canio - 20 years ago.

Without his attitude & the way he was he wouldn’t have been half the player he became. 

I remember the front page of the news of the world when he was supposed to come back and didn’t saying he couldn’t travel with depression. 

Only for the news of the world to photo graph him in Milan shopping and laughing with his wife I presume. He was never coming back until he found another club. Depression vanished not long after when Harry came calling. 

Wilson & Richards did hang him out to dry though, Richards wanted the top job and Wilson couldn’t handle players like that. 

On 05/06/2019 at 07:05, Sham67 said:

He'd been demanding a move virtually from the day he signed.

I remember his comments after we won 3-0 at Tottenham. He wanted out there and then as he was 'more than happy' to go and help a great club like Tottenham.

I might be wrong but I think it all started when we didn't give Ron Atkinson a new deal. I'm sure I read somewhere that he (Di Canio) had a lot of respect for Ron and was not happy when he wasn't given a new deal. 

On 04/06/2019 at 20:01, asteener1867 said:

He hung himself out to dry by pushing a ref over...Wednesday banned him as they should have, he was gonna get banned anyway..Then he thanked the fans, thanked wednesday said he had received a fair hearing, promised to come back V leicester...no show...great player...absolute tw *t!

Sure wilson and Richards have plenty to answer for regarding Wednesday...DiCanio isn't one of 'em..the fault was all DiCanios...He wanted out..he got out

As said previously, yes in the wrong, however he had a value to the club and the team. Which if it had been handled better could given us a better return than what we got

Plenty of footballers are idiots and  but they do their jobs on the pitch, as has been said cantona, Keane etc guess we would have binned them to?

9 hours ago, alanharper said:

He boasts about "I have won awards with Juventus, Milan and Celtic and have won the UEFA Cup as well".

He hasn't exactly been laden with honours during his career actually. He won a title with Milan, which I'm not sure was all down to him, but in that UEFA Cup that "he won" he only came on as a late sub in both legs with Juventus already 3 goals up in each game, his contribution to winning his European Supercup was making an 89th minute sub appearance in both legs, and he failed to even win a trophy with Celtic!

Not many in our current team with such a poor record of medals. Lol

Complete bell end . Decent top flight player but there is a reason he was a Milan reserve and played for Sheffield Wednesday, West Ham and Charlton. God knows why such an odious creature that played for us for one year in a team that finished 16th is idolised by our fans . The comment about that trophy sums him up 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, james o connor said:

Complete bell end . Decent top flight player but there is a reason he was a Milan reserve and played for Sheffield Wednesday, West Ham and Charlton. God knows why such an odious creature that played for us for one year in a team that finished 16th is idolised by our fans . The comment about that trophy sums him up 

For his footballing ability alone for me he was the most skilful of players I have ever seen in a Wednesday shirt.  Every time he received the ball there was an expectation from the crowd that he was about to do something special. 

He never gave less than 100% and knew that the crowd wanted to be entertained. 

The sad thing is he had players alongside like Booth who could never hope to be on the same wavelength as Dicanio.  (Yeah i know Booth was an honest pro who would run through barn doors).  

To make you splutter a little more he would have been fantastic in CC first season. 

Seems like the sort of player who’d be better off/more suited to being a player now. 

Lots of skill 

Be on ridiculous wages

Could refuse to play

Get a new contract 

Force a move somewhere 

etc etc 

... think Dimitri Payet 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kopparberg said:

Seems like the sort of player who’d be better off/more suited to being a player now. 

Lots of skill 

Be on ridiculous wages

Could refuse to play

Get a new contract 

Force a move somewhere 

etc etc 

... think Dimitri Payet 

yes - he was years ahead of his time!!!

The Alcock shove happened right in front of where I used to sit. It was weird as it was shocking, hilarious and somehow sad all at the same time.

Sad, because even as it happened it felt significant, that we might never see him play for us again. And without Di Canio that team was bang average and no real surprise we were relegated next season. Especially when Wilson tried to replace him with Gilles De Bilde and Simon Donnelly.

8 hours ago, Mycroft said:

For his footballing ability alone for me he was the most skilful of players I have ever seen in a Wednesday shirt.  Every time he received the ball there was an expectation from the crowd that he was about to do something special. 

The sad thing is he had players alongside like Booth who could never hope to be on the same wavelength as Dicanio.  (Yeah i know Booth was an honest pro who would run through barn doors).  

To make you splutter a little more he would have been fantastic in CC first season. 

Di canio wouldn't have stayed if Wednesday were in the Championship...First game he would have bit the ref, kicked both linos and stuck the nut on Chansiri....

6 hours ago, Emerson Thome said:

The Alcock shove happened right in front of where I used to sit. It was weird as it was shocking, hilarious and somehow sad all at the same time.

Sad, because even as it happened it felt significant, that we might never see him play for us again. And without Di Canio that team was bang average and no real surprise we were relegated next season. Especially when Wilson tried to replace him with Gilles De Bilde and Simon Donnelly.

Wilson didn’t try and replace him with De Bilde and Donnelly.....he tried to replace him with Michael Mols and Dani.......the deals were done until the board pulled the plug on them and we got De Bilde and Sibon instead.....I think Donnelly was here at the same time as Di Canio 

Edited by Ian

On 05/06/2019 at 13:02, alanharper said:

He boasts about "I have won awards with Juventus, Milan and Celtic and have won the UEFA Cup as well".

He hasn't exactly been laden with honours during his career actually. He won a title with Milan, which I'm not sure was all down to him, but in that UEFA Cup that "he won" he only came on as a late sub in both legs with Juventus already 3 goals up in each game, his contribution to winning his European Supercup was making an 89th minute sub appearance in both legs, and he failed to even win a trophy with Celtic!

Careful, you’ll upset the pigs using that language...

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Emerson Thome said:

Wilson replaced him with what the budget and agents allowed.

On 04/06/2019 at 10:52, dunsbyowl said:

Just came across this - end of May 1999 !  Gis us trophy back! ;-)

DiCa.jpeg.b6cc7aba3739c64585d31c7ca983315b.jpeg1660712377_Dicanb.jpeg.b0c50de9f3d58d5509d18cf8c5fb5584.jpeg

Sums the foookin to553r up in a nutshell. Things like this are why I cringe when people mention him in the same breath as Waddle, Shez etc. He's not fit to eat their 5h1t.

I have never understood why he is revered by many on here. Undoubtedly a genius footballer on his day capable of turning a game single handed, but I don’t remember him always giving 100% like someone posted earlier. For all his occasional brilliance I still seem to remember games where he was anonymous or spent way too much time waving his arms around in frustration at teammates/officials. The less said about his personality and politics the better!

On 06/06/2019 at 14:22, Emerson Thome said:

So true, I was just a naive youth at the time and remember taking a wee wee up against the brick wall urinal at the back of the cop at half time. The ‘push’ was obviously the major talking point and one old fella was lamenting the fact that we’d never see him in a Wednesday shirt again but I was certain he’d be back after his ban. The fact that I had a winning bet on us to beat Arsenal 1-0 is testament to my blind, deluded loyalty back then. 

Di Canio was frustrated genius,had all the talent,but the heart of a mouse,never mucked in with dirty work of stopping or closing down opponents he left that to everyone else,like Carbone,just wanted to look pretty and bask in his own glory,frustrating then brilliant to watch all  in the space of 90 seconds,he had all the skills and tricks,but used them when it suited,once he switched off,he resorted to blaming everyone esle around him

On 06/06/2019 at 07:30, Mycroft said:

Really do not remember him the way you describe ,he played when he felt like it .

As for" he never gave less than 100%"  do me a favour 

I do remember his shocking body language and how he could get the crowd on the backs of lesser players

And why some folk think the club should grovel round a bloke that has got himself banned for months is beyond me 

I always felt like he thought we should be honoured to have him play for us and was always a child like  tantrum away from leaving 

In my opinion he wanted out and  he engineered the move 

I think he was a self centred odious p...k