Pre Season Friendly Announced...

On 04/06/2019 at 13:27, lanzaroteowl said:

We won the last time I went to Northampton. 

Brian Hornsby with his brand new perm scored from two free kicks. 

Could be wrong as it was over 40 years ago now.

Mid 70's I think...when they played at the old cricket ground...can't remember the score, but remember going

4 minutes ago, asteener1867 said:

Mid 70's I think...when they played at the old cricket ground...can't remember the score, but remember going

Won 2-0 Bradshaw and Wylde scorers.

Edited by bradowl

21 hours ago, alanharper said:

I didn't start going to away games regularly until 1990, I'd only been to 4 before then (with 2 of them being FA Cup semis), but I'm still annoyed that I never actually went to the Baseball Ground. Closest I came was going for FA Cup quarter final tickets in 1993 only for them to sell out whilst I was still queueing.

BEST MATCH EVA!

58 minutes ago, HIGHERSTATE said:

BEST MATCH EVA!

Wouldn't go that far, we didn't even win! Although I'm aware it's an attempt at a wind up - and at least I saw it on Sky for free.

Fortunately that was the only occasion I missed out on tickets whilst actually queueing, although I cut it fine a few times for the big games in the early 90s when hundreds queued up, more than once I'd got my tickets and had joined the (separate ffs!) queue at the ticket window behind the South Stand for coach tickets when the groans went up as the tickets sold out.  Thank God for TPP and the internet!

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, alanharper said:

Wouldn't go that far, we didn't even win! Although I'm aware it's an attempt at a wind up - and at least I saw it on Sky for free.

Fortunately that was the only occasion I missed out on tickets whilst actually queueing, although I cut it fine a few times for the big games in the early 90s when hundreds queued up, more than once I'd got my tickets and had joined the (separate ffs!) queue at the ticket window behind the South Stand for coach tickets when the groans went up as the tickets sold out.  Thank God for TPP and the internet!

No not a wind up, one of the best matches I've ever been to.

Pubs were incredible before, the Derby fans were baying for Wednesday blood, the atmosphere was electric, jumpers for goalposts, Waddle threading passes that were smaller than the eye of a needle, going 2 goals up and then 3-2 down, the ball bouncing in off of Woods back, f@@kin Gabbiadini and Kitson, my mate throwing a pie into the Derby end, thinking we were out and being rescued by Warhurst..All topped off by being chased by Derby fans cos I had an FC Porto top on.

1 hour ago, alanharper said:

I remember queuing for the Cardiff play off tickets...

Collected season tickets me and the lads....Went down to Q...got a phone call from a mate who couldn't get down to Q....left q...drove to f.ookin' Handsworth..collected their season tickets...drove back joined Q..waited f.ookin' ages....reached front of Q...Asked for 2 tickets at £20 or whatever it was...and 2 for £30...got 2 £20 tickets..was then asked to join another f.ookin' Q!!!

Qued another hour or so for £30 tickets...Then asked for 2 coach tickets....They asked me to join another f.ookin' Q!!

I lost it...the coach tickets Q was right next to the Q I was q..ing in..and it was f.ookin' massive...I said

"For the sake of all thats holy...ive qued twice already..and now you are askin' me to walk halfway up Penistone to Q again!!...Just lean over to your mate and get 2 coach tickets!!!!"

They relented in the end..but Christ..Its the only time I ever lost it in a ticket office...

Edited by asteener1867
  • Haha 1

ALSO..................

The bloody morning of the match!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thousands waiting outside of the ground for the coaches..Wiv all them "special" stewards who had "Coach monitor" badges...

No coaches....

A rumour went around that the coaches were leaving from the speedway track..cue about 6000 haring up Penistone Rd...

The lad wanted to go...I was listening to Radio sheffield...nowt

I said to him...

"Do you honestly think they would change the venue and not announce it?..with thousands waiting to go?"

I approached a small "Coach Monitor"...

"Are the coaches still coming here..cos they are half an hour late"

"From the information I have...(which actually could mean owt from being omnipresient..to f.ookin' Gibbon)...The coaches are arriving here"

No coaches....

You could sorta see the "Coach monitors"...takin' the badges off..

Then..like a golden Galleon in the sun....The first coach appears under the 5 arches....We cheer...The "Coach monitors"...dust their badges off...

"Which coach we on" says the lad...

"65" ..I says................

No numbers on the coaches....

6000 come haring back down Penistone...300 chasing the f.ookin' 57 to Stocksbridge bus...cos its the nearest thing to a f.ookin' coach they have seen all day

"Coach monitors" bloody disappear....

Pandemonium...

Luckily..I see a mate who used to be a bus driver...driving one of the un nummbered coaches...

"What number are you Dennis"..I f.ookin' screamed in panic

"How many of you are there?"

"two!"

"Get on"

I could have kissed him lol

• Haha 4

16 hours ago, asteener1867 said:

ALSO..................

The bloody morning of the match!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thousands waiting outside of the ground for the coaches..Wiv all them "special" stewards who had "Coach monitor" badges...

No coaches....

A rumour went around that the coaches were leaving from the speedway track..cue about 6000 haring up Penistone Rd...

The lad wanted to go...I was listening to Radio sheffield...nowt

I said to him...

"Do you honestly think they would change the venue and not announce it?..with thousands waiting to go?"

I approached a small "Coach Monitor"...

"Are the coaches still coming here..cos they are half an hour late"

"From the information I have...(which actually could mean owt from being omnipresient..to f.ookin' Gibbon)...The coaches are arriving here"

No coaches....

You could sorta see the "Coach monitors"...takin' the badges off..

Then..like a golden Galleon in the sun....The first coach appears under the 5 arches....We cheer...The "Coach monitors"...dust their badges off...

"Which coach we on" says the lad...

"65" ..I says................

No numbers on the coaches....

6000 come haring back down Penistone...300 chasing the f.ookin' 57 to Stocksbridge bus...cos its the nearest thing to a f.ookin' coach they have seen all day

"Coach monitors" bloody disappear....

Pandemonium...

Luckily..I see a mate who used to be a bus driver...driving one of the un nummbered coaches...

"What number are you Dennis"..I f.ookin' screamed in panic

"How many of you are there?"

"two!"

"Get on"

I could have kissed him lol

I was one of those coach monitors. It was typical disorganised chaos. However funny with it.

2 hours ago, handworth52 said:

leave our pet nuhiu alone he will eat the English defence to shreds in sept after last nights pathetic England display . 

It wasn’t a disparaging remark, I love Atdhe as everone on here knows (apart from you :Sid:)

More to do with the rumour about the size of his..........

Oh never mind.

Epic Fail :Sid:

• Haha 2

My current number of grounds 156

With Wednesday a very modest 78 (I would like to hang my boots up on 100)

I completed the 92 club but now have to do the new grounds to get it back up there again. 

As some have said there are no rules it's just a bit of fun

But to see some serious numbers go to

http://100groundsclub.blogspot.com/p/100fgc-roll-of-honour.html?m=1

There are some in the thousands, you will find me on there although my list needs updating. Shaun who runs the site is a smashing bloke and has been to nearly 700 grounds! 

3 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

Wednesday to play Stocksbridge PS on Saturday 13th July at 3pm. 

Wednesday have said they will be playing a strong team .

https://www.stocksbridgeps.co.uk/single-post/2019/06/04/WEDNESDAY-TO-FACE-STEELS

This was announced over a fortnight ago, but thanks! It can't be a very strong team, half strength at best because we're playing at Lincoln the same day. Unless that match kicking off at 1pm is just the warm up and there's a fleet of helicopters lined up to get the squad from Lincoln to Stocksbridge in 10 minutes.

Imagine the truefan points for attending both games...

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, alanharper said:

This was announced over a fortnight ago, but thanks! It can't be a very strong team, half strength at best because we're playing at Lincoln the same day. Unless that match kicking off at 1pm is just the warm up and there's a fleet of helicopters lined up to get the squad from Lincoln to Stocksbridge in 10 minutes.

Imagine the truefan points for attending both games...

Torn with this one, did Lincoln for the 1st time last season so now done both grounds, know alot of the Stocksbridge lads so quite fancy that, but Lincoln is great for a day session. Decisions decisions.