Wednesday's "outrageous" Rhodes valuation

2 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Something happened with Rhodes at Hillsborough which meant that we didn't get the best out of him.

It's particularly stark when you consider his average minutes per goal for the other Championship clubs he's played for as a senior pro:

Norwich - 168

Wednesday - 360

Middlesbrough - 194

Blackburn - 164

We're the only club who've failed to get a tune out of him.

It's not worked out for him here. But he hardly looked like a goal machine at Boro. 

Hopefully we can move him on, but if he's on the wages quoted on here, er're lumbered with him.

53 minutes ago, Sergeant Tibbs said:

It's not worked out for him here. But he hardly looked like a goal machine at Boro. 

Hopefully we can move him on, but if he's on the wages quoted on here, er're lumbered with him.

When's he had a top winger with us to supply accurate crosses?

There's a reason Bruce's after Downing.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, gurujuan said:

With respect, trying to integrate Rhodes into our side, presents us with more problems than it solves. He cannot play the lone striker role, and there is no obvious pairing. You could point to Fletcher, he would seem to mirror the type of player who would previously partner Rhodes. This isn’t 2015 though, and that sort of pairing has gone out of fashion, and is easy to combat. If we are to use a two up front, one of them has to have pace. That’s not the only problem. People say, get in a couple of pacy wide players to provide the ammunition that a striker like Rhodes needs. Two touchline hugging wingers, puts a lot of strain on your central midfield pair, who both need to be strong, all action midfielders, capable of both, attacking, and defending. This makes, potentially our best player, Bannan, redundant. Similarly, Hutchinson would be displaced, as he doesn’t have the legs, or attacking capabilities, to get up and down the pitch. 

For me, that’s too many changes, just to try and incorporate a player who’s best days are probably behind him.

I tend to agree, and I think Bruce will as well.

I reckon we'll go with a lone front man, which instantly makes Rhodes redundant, you'd think.

However, if Rhodes is still here next season and can be integrated into the squad more successfully than we managed in the past, then we could do worse than use him from the bench as Norwich did last season.

It'll all depend on whether we can agree a fee with a potential suitor, I imagine.

17 hours ago, quinnssweetshop said:

Either way, he bottled it

NO! I thought so, there's a 'massive' difference between 'not being up for it', and having the gonads to say so.

or saying 'F you sheffield wednesday, 'uddersfield mean more to me than you do, i'll not take a penalty for you against them'.

perhaps you should be a bit more honest in your posting when 'suggesting' one of our players deliberately stabbed the club in the back.

On 02/06/2019 at 00:45, dorian gray said:

did he opt out of taking a penalty because of 'his beloved 'uddersfield' or for other reasons, like he didn't fancy it?

Think it was because he didn't feel confident taking one.
IIRC he didn't take for Huddersfield for the same reason in they play off shoot out win on the play offs v Sheffield United in 2012.
Still find it strange and for me a black mark against him.

Jordan Rhodes - honest footballer who had the guts to say that he didn't feel up to taking a penalty in one game.

Gets forever slated 

Fernando Forestieri - disgraced the club, his teammates, and his fans by refusing to play in a game because of money.

Fans favourite 

I don't get football 

2 minutes ago, basegreenowl said:

Get a sensible amount in and buy Hector. Jobs a good'un. Has to be seen as the right thing to do. 

What do think, 4m for Hector? Reckon Norwich would give us that don’t you

Two choices for Bruce.

1)  Sell Rhodes for a nominal amount and take the hit. No-one will pay over £1mil for a forward with no resale value , who's best days seem to be behind him. Take what you can for him. Getting his wages off the books will be payment enough. 

2) Keep him and use him from the bench. I've said it before and I'll say it again, he doesn't deserve or warrant us changing our system and buying extra players in the hope that that gets him scoring. No player is worth that. It's a ridiculous excuse for his failure at our club. Did Norwich buy extra players to help him, or change their style of play? of course they didn't. Use him from the bench , and he needs to fit into our system. If he replicates his Norwich stats for us, then that will suffice in most supporters minds.

Edited by Bannofan

1 hour ago, poite said:

Jordan Rhodes - honest footballer who had the guts to say that he didn't feel up to taking a penalty in one game.

Gets forever slated 

Fernando Forestieri - disgraced the club, his teammates, and his fans by refusing to play in a game because of money.

Fans favourite 

I don't get football 

I said the same about FF when it happened. go check the threads.

1 hour ago, Bannofan said:

1)  Sell Rhodes for a nominal amount and take the hit. No-one will pay over £1mil for a forward with no resale value , who's best days seem to be behind him. Take what you can for him. Getting his wages off the books will be payment enough. 

I’m genuinely astounded.