Wednesday's "outrageous" Rhodes valuation

2 hours ago, gurujuan said:

No point was, if Rhodes was able to adjust his game, like Sharp has, then he might be able to challenge for a place in the side If you look at Sharp, yes he has similar predatory instincts to Rhodes at his peak, but he’s also able to run the channels, and even to drop deep and link play in the way that Hooper did for us. Sadly Rhodes doesn’t seem to be able to do either of those things

I think Rhodes can drop deep and retain the ball but it depends how quickly we then get it wide and into the box. Which recently wasn’t very quickly. He also had decent chances for us that he simply didn’t bury. I don’t think he’s a write off because of what he can’t do, what he can do is very useful if he is confident and I believe Bruce is the most likely to coax that from him too. Even Billy Sharp looked finished before he moved back to United.

But if we are offered money for him to allow one or two signings within FFP then on balance that seems preferable at the moment. Especially if it means he is in a different league and not scoring for a promotion rival.

2 hours ago, ChinaOwl said:

Their recent record has been quite good picking up players like Maddison and Pukki. I guess the mindset would become, if players like this are available on the cheap, why pay above the odds? That kind of thinking might stand them in good stead going forward.

They still paid seven figures for Maddison though and if it wasn’t Coventry city they might’ve had to pay more. They are trying to get the price down but we will be on to that and meet in the middle I suspect.

If they think they can get a Jordan Rhodes replacement nailed on for cheap then I think they’d have already moved on from this.

1 minute ago, Bluesteel said:

They still paid seven figures for Maddison though and if it wasn’t Coventry city they might’ve had to pay more. They are trying to get the price down but we will be on to that and meet in the middle I suspect.

If they think they can get a Jordan Rhodes replacement nailed on for cheap then I think they’d have already moved on from this.

Yep, I know where you are coming from but I also see them as a club who are reluctant to pay high transfer fees. In my reckoning, they already have a maximum that they are prepared to move to for Rhodes and it is less than our evaluation. I am guessing that they regard Rhodes as a nice to have rather than a must have for their Premier League campaign. I can foresee something like £3.5m - £4m as the final settled figure but, as always, it is likely to be undisclosed so nobody will know for certain anyway.

The reality is Norwich want him for a cut price, so that we carry the losses.  I think DC is right to play hardball on this one.  

How much do Norwich get for going up.  It is reportedly said that promotion is worth 170 million, (that figure may be slightly different).  Then if Norwich get relegated they get even more money.  

The reality is, we overspent on Rhodes, paying much more than we should have.  The correct price if we were selling would be between the cut price and the price we paid.  Somewhere between 6 million and 7.5 million would be my guess.  

I don't believe we saw the best of Rhodes while he was with us.  I would be interested to see what Bruce could get out of him, with proper wingers creating chances.  Who knows, one good season under new leadership and a different style of play could be key in getting Rhodes firing again, which no doubt will increase his valuation thus minimising potential losses theoretically speaking.  

For me, I would get him back in the squad, and see what Bruce can do with him.  However I think the FFP and the need to reduce the wage bill will dictate the tempo.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, StudentOwl said:

Your explanation isn't incorrect, but I don't believe it's accurate to the goings on at Wednesday. 

Simply because we've had to sell the ground, and the only sales we've made over the last 4 years that weren't for a pittance was Jack Hunt to Bristol City. One sale in four years and the sale of our historic ground is indicative of our starting position in a negotiation is just too high. You'd of course be right... if we were making a reasonable amount on player sales.

You wouldn't say the entrepreneur whose starting price for selling his Snickers bars was £2 (one sale in four years) was a better negotiator than the entrepeneur selling his Snickers Bars for £1 (five sales in four years). 

I know it doesn’t apply in this case but it Depends how much the snickers bar cost in the first place. Sell 5 at a loss or 2 at a profit!

1 hour ago, ChinaOwl said:

Yep, I know where you are coming from but I also see them as a club who are reluctant to pay high transfer fees. In my reckoning, they already have a maximum that they are prepared to move to for Rhodes and it is less than our evaluation. I am guessing that they regard Rhodes as a nice to have rather than a must have for their Premier League campaign. I can foresee something like £3.5m - £4m as the final settled figure but, as always, it is likely to be undisclosed so nobody will know for certain anyway.

Agreed and I’d snap their hands off for that plus his wages just simply because of the effect on the balance sheet. 

9 hours ago, A12owl said:

The art of selling anything is to stsrt high and negotiate down. If someone is prepared to pay your valuation then good. If not then negotiate . It's the way of the world .

Ask £7m someone offers £3m eventually you can settle for £5m and everybody has compromised and will feel satisfied that they have a good deal.

Ask £4m and somebody will offer £2m . Then you settle for £3m. Same situation. Everybody got a deal. Problem for seller ...they have lost £2m on previous scenario.

Anybody who is or has been involved in selling will know what I mean. 

There may be some mug who will pay your high asking price . You can always come down in price but not go up on and advertised price unless you have more than one buyer . Then it becomes an auction.

Simply sales technique 

In that case let’s ask for £100m - we might get half of that.

Rhodes will have a rough value that most clubs will have in mind regardless of how much we ask for.  Asking for too much combined with an apparent unwillingness to compromise will just result in no sale and - if he isn’t in Bruce’s plans - a total

waste of a wage. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, StudentOwl said:

Your explanation isn't incorrect, but I don't believe it's accurate to the goings on at Wednesday. 

Simply because we've had to sell the ground, and the only sales we've made over the last 4 years that weren't for a pittance was Jack Hunt to Bristol City. One sale in four years and the sale of our historic ground is indicative of our starting position in a negotiation is just too high. You'd of course be right... if we were making a reasonable amount on player sales.

You wouldn't say the entrepreneur whose starting price for selling his Snickers bars was £2 (one sale in four years) was a better negotiator than the entrepeneur selling his Snickers Bars for £1 (five sales in four years). 

It worked in the case of Stevie May too as we got a decent price for him I think. But when it has come to others such as Lees, Forestieri, Bannan, Reach we have rejected bids for them. Perhaps we are correct in some cases but you usually have to sacrifice one or two. Our main issue is that most of our players are a bit older.

The one price in the media I do agree with is Joao. Given Lloyd Kelly moves for £13m and Joao has performed for a couple of seasons, on an upward curve, fully capped and only  25. 8m sounds like a starting point for me. We paid at least 5m for Reach and he’d done less.

Edited by Bluesteel
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, A12owl said:

How many great players have missed a penalty. Do you write them all off?

I seem to recall Waddle missed an important penalty but he wasnt written off and rightly so.

Admittedly Rhodes pen was a bit woeful but that was one kick in his lifetime of scoring goals. 4 against us in one game.

Perhaps he might just recover a bit of pace with the right training. Was Carlos's training methods world class? How many crocks did we have under CC's reign?

Perhaps Carlos ruined JR but perhaps Bruce can resurrect a goalscorer in him again.

Lets hope so. 

The Middlesbrough fans I know were surprised at his lack of pace when he signed for them. 

3 hours ago, A12owl said:

How many great players have missed a penalty. Do you write them all off?

I seem to recall Waddle missed an important penalty but he wasnt written off and rightly so.

Admittedly Rhodes pen was a bit woeful but that was one kick in his lifetime of scoring goals. 4 against us in one game.

Perhaps he might just recover a bit of pace with the right training. Was Carlos's training methods world class? How many crocks did we have under CC's reign?

Perhaps Carlos ruined JR but perhaps Bruce can resurrect a goalscorer in him again.

Lets hope so. 

One thing that does wind me up about Rhodes is his pens. He rolls them in the same spot each time whether he missed the last one or not. Same happened at Norwich. 

Jordan Rhodes has never had pace ....

But don't blame him for the situation we are at ..

Had Blackburn not gone into to the  "Walker Family who weren't interested in Uncle Jacks dream  sell to any old minted  idiot who doesn't know the first thing about football scenario" 

He'd probably still be there with a Rudy Gestede type partner feeding him bullets to fire.

It's like buying a car 

Sometimes you walk onto the drive and look with pride at all the long journeys and MOT''s without advisories or fail tickets ..

Then there's the Allegro 

The car that was aerodynamically more efficient when travelling in reverse than forward ....

It's not the poor cars fault 

It's the guy that designed it ......

And our designers at Hillsborough have designed Allegro's not Aston Martins ...

Let's see what out new designer comes up with ?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, A12owl said:

You always have to be realistic not daft. £7m is a realistic price for his calibre of player.

He’s a Championship reserve who’s scored 14 League goals in the last 3 seasons. 

He’s worth what anyone is willing to pay. Which given his wages won’t be much. 

12 hours ago, A12owl said:

The art of selling anything is to stsrt high and negotiate down. If someone is prepared to pay your valuation then good. If not then negotiate . It's the way of the world .

Ask £7m someone offers £3m eventually you can settle for £5m and everybody has compromised and will feel satisfied that they have a good deal.

Ask £4m and somebody will offer £2m . Then you settle for £3m. Same situation. Everybody got a deal. Problem for seller ...they have lost £2m on previous scenario.

Anybody who is or has been involved in selling will know what I mean. 

There may be some mug who will pay your high asking price . You can always come down in price but not go up on and advertised price unless you have more than one buyer . Then it becomes an auction.

Simply sales technique 

Are you in double glazing or the second hand car business?

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, AwokenGiant said:

If they value him as a Prem player which they obv do, then he has a Prem value. 

Not that difficult really. 

Need to finalise something quick though, before they realise he isn’t