Wednesday's "outrageous" Rhodes valuation

Premiership club should pay the figure suggested if they really want him or they can go elsewhere and still get shafted for a player with less pedigree. Not bothered either way as Bruce will get him performing if he wants to keep him.

2 hours ago, Yellowbelly said:

If Norwich want Rhodes & vice versa then we should do nothing of the sort. We’re not brokers, we are a club with an asset that they want - pay the money.

If they would like to negotiate then that is our opening offer - negotiate us down.

Dont offer us 2 & expect us to snap your hand off because whilst we may be naive we are not lunatics.

Theres 2 months to go, you don’t start giving away your assets for nowt straight away.

What way is he an asset to this club?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Sonny said:

That is interesting - I had no idea he was some kind of leader of men father figure type there. Comments suggesting fans would see £3m or £4m as a good deal... and so would I.

I was chatting to my Norwich supporting mate yesterday, and he reckons Rhodes has made a great impression on their fans - he sees him as a consummate professional whose attitude and impact when used as a squad player has been second to none.

We're fortunate to have a Premier League team interested in Rhodes; it's just sod's law it's a Premier League team quibbling over a few million of their recent £100m+ windfall!

:duntmatter:

7 hours ago, osowl said:

Well it seems the sensible thing is either sell him to Norwich for maybe 3-4 Million, or he has to be our first/second choice striker.

I say that since I don't see other clubs coming in for him, so we either sell him or use him. 

Steve Bruce, over to you then...

I’d let Bruce have a player at his disposal that he’s wanted at other clubs too see if Bruce and make owt of him and hopefully bring that value up 

24 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I was chatting to my Norwich supporting mate yesterday, and he reckons Rhodes has made a great impression on their fans - he sees him as a consummate professional whose attitude and impact when used as a squad player has been second to none.

giphy.gif

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

At the end of the day we need to reduce the wage bill. We have far too many strikers at the club. If Norwich want Rhodes and if he wants to go, we should do everything we can to make the move happen.

I’m not saying we settle for peanuts, but we certainly don’t put Norwich off by pricing him at 7 million. 

£7M is an over-evaluation at this time.

Norwich in the past couple of weeks have suggested they would like to take him off our hands on a free transfer - given that they want him and clearly hold him in high regard for his attitude and dressing room influence as much as his goals - that is an under-evaluation on their part. 

It seems this thread is far quicker to jump on our owner for his over estimation than it is to jump on cash-rich Norwich for their under estimation of a player who has evidently contributed effectively to getting them to where they are now.

Around £4M would still seem fair enough in the current market - which is as close to our valuation than it is to theirs so not sure why it is our club that are getting more stick on here in this usual course of negotiation.   

3 hours ago, StudentOwl said:

If you continuously overprice the items you're selling, you don't make any sales. Hence why we've had to effectively mortgage out the shop.

The thing is, has there been that many genuine offers for our players that we have turned down in recent years?

Forestieri maybe but at the time there may have been decent offers plenty of our fan base would have chosen not to sell. Who else have we had decent offers for that we could have taken?

2 hours ago, Sham67 said:

He must've have been.  It's not a hypothetical, somebody paid £6m for him.  That's the reality of the situation.  This reality makes your opinion worthless.

Only one club valued Madine at that price and the rest of the top two divisions were probably aghast by what Cardiff were willing to pay.

As much as you would like to think players like Rhodes should be worth more than Gary Madine, who has never really proved his worth at Championship level never mind PL, that one transfer can't really be used as a barometer for setting the price on others.

6 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

I think they will struggle to get someone with a similar goal scoring record to act as back up either here or abroad and for less than a 2-3million. At some point it will come to a head.  

Norwich might argue that they got someone that comfortably outscored Rhodes last season (and reduced Rhodes to nothing more than an understudy striker) for nowt and quite probably on a far lower wage.

Norwich can afford Rhodes if they really want him. Sensibly they don't want to pay much for a dressing room cheerleader and occasional sub. This is their way of talking their fans expectations down. 

Rhodes value like every player depends on what people want to pay. Its not some accountancy figure. Hence Madine was worth paying 6m to get Cardiff up. Hence Rhodes seemed worth paying 8m to get us up.

Some other team will decide hes worth paying more than hes really worth because he has goals in him. 

We just have to hold our nerve when we get negotiating tactics like this.

4 hours ago, RichieB said:

They didn't agree to pay anything last year when they did the loan apparently..

But Webber conceded the club may have to look elsewhere to strengthen their attacking options.He said: "First of all, we never had the option to buy him, in writing. We couldn't agree that last summer so we didn't have it. It was just a straight forward loan. 

First of all, we never had the option to buy him, IN WRITING !!!!!!

Could it be that a verbal "gentleman's agreement" was made ? If it was, then DC has just learned a valuable new lesson.

Never trust anyfucker in football, FFS.

(only read up to page 3 yet, so apologies if this has been spotted before me )

(and yes, I often used to get stuck on page 3, lol )

Decided to take the view this season that I’m only interested in what goes on on the pitch.

Mind you, I reserve the right to change my mind at the drop of a hat, if I get bored, and decide I have nothing better to do than post on Owls Talk every night about anything and everything during our promotion season.

:Sid:

Edited by theowlsman
  • Haha 2