Wednesday's "outrageous" Rhodes valuation

Not read the thread but assume it's a discussion between letting him go for whatever we can get or keeping him and seeing if Bruce can get him playing to the level he has achieved in the past. 

Personally I'd like to see him return to the club and fire us to promotion. I believe Bruce can build a team to play in a way that creates chances for our strikers. Hell, I reckon I could do that, big strong midfielder, tricky playmaking midfielder, 2 wingers with pace to get up and down and cross, big powerful striker to cause defences worry and a poacher. 2 good centre backs, 2 full backs who can overlap when needed but mainly defend and a keeper who commands his area. 

Rhodes is the poacher in the above blueprint for promotion. 

• Like 1

I imagine they'll be more than Norwich interested in him, and DC will know this.

Valuations are based on the market and a PL club wanting a proven championship striker who helped them to champions is worth more than £2m. Norwich are also playing brinkmanship here and there is clearly a compromise price of around £4/5m.

Anyone know what the valuation is? 

Too much BS out there. One week it’s FF for 14 million, the next it’s 8 million for Rhodes. These journos don’t actually know. Who knows what the real money is.  

The only player we have sold went for a modest 2m quid, didn’t he? So I guess we’re not overpricing all our players. 

If there is serious interest in signing then I’m sure both clubs will be negotiating for some time. We need to get him off the wage bill, and recoup some of his fee - Norwich will be trying to take advantage of that situation as well. I hope Wednesday stand their ground and get as much as they can from a newly promoted club with 100+ million coming their way. 

If we’re to believe that Bruce has control over transfers, then you’d have to assume that he has a say over valuations as well. 

Having said all that, maybe Bruce wants to keep him. 

Edited by bigdan2003

5 hours ago, RUMBELOWS91 said:

https://www.pinkun.com/norwich-city/norwich-city-chief-admits-rhodes-return-is-unlikely-1-6081461

Very interesting read re Rhodes but it's this bit I find most interesting....

"he's 29, he's got two years left on his contract at Wednesday, their valuation of him last summer was outrageous and that will be pretty high again."

Is this symptomatic of the way we've been conducting our business for the last few years?

Is our apparent 'no sale' policy down to wanting to keep the squad together or have we just been grossly over-valuing our players?

Will this be an area Bruce will change I wonder?

This is the bit from Stuart Webber that you didn't quote;

"So it's a tough one, a real tough one. We would love to bring Jordan back because of what he brings and we truly believe he would score goals in the Premier League. The goals are the same size and the thing with him is he knows how to score, he knows where to stand and somehow when the ball gets delivered he's always there.

You should get a job as a Labour spin doctor.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Blue and white said:

In a world where Gary Madine is worth 6m who's to say what's outrageously high or not.

Gary Madine isn't worth £6M, he isn't worth it now and he never was. It's such a false price I'd hesitate to use it as justification for anything.

1 hour ago, RichieB said:

They didn't agree to pay anything last year when they did the loan apparently..

But Webber conceded the club may have to look elsewhere to strengthen their attacking options.He said: "First of all, we never had the option to buy him, in writing. We couldn't agree that last summer so we didn't have it. It was just a straight forward loan. 

The fact that he specifies "in writing" suggests it was agreed but wasn't written in to the contract. In law a verbal agreement is usually considered valid. Whether it can be proved is another matter. Pointless anyway, if they don't want to exercise the option it's irrelevant.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, prowl said:

Gary Madine isn't worth £6M, he isn't worth it now and he never was. It's such a false price I'd hesitate to use it as justification for anything.

He must've have been.  It's not a hypothetical, somebody paid £6m for him.  That's the reality of the situation.  This reality makes your opinion worthless.

3 hours ago, jonnyowl said:

When Carlos said Rhodes had to adapt to the way we play did it for me.

You don't sign a proven striker for £8million and try and adapt his game.to suit the team, you play to his strengths. If he stays I hope Bruce can do this!

Carlos never wanted Rhodes because he knew he didn’t fit the system, DC went on and splashed a ridiculous amount anyway above his head just after the signing of Winnall. Would like to see him under Bruce because I think he would get the best out of him. 

They simply want a back up striker for 1 million don’t they! Gone public to try and engineer something. Think £3.5- 4m would be fair given they paid (if true) a £1m loan fee last season.

Outrageous isn’t this though. Outrageous is Pogba for £90m or even worse Fred for £55m! (Or even Delias latest cook book for £15.99!) Both driven by the big money Premiership which Norwich are now part of - get used to it fella!

There's nothing about this Rhodes signing that has worked for us. Our over valuation of him in the first place has stuffed us up no end. Anyone willing to sign him for £0 would remove a great weight from our wage budget and give us the chance to sign 2 excellent Champ standard players. 

Despite DC and others shouting how much fans wanted him for whatever price, I and many sane Wednesday fans thought purchasing a 7th striker for the £8-£10m fee banded about on the reported £40k+ a week was absolutely mental. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sticky belly said:

For me just shows a real mental weakness. Imagine characters like shearer and Ian Wright, imagine trying to get the ball off them on a penalty (I'm not comparing Rhodes to them ability wise obviously). Players like that just want to score goals. They don't care whether it's a shootout or not, they just want to score. All the reports I've read about Rhodes say he's the consummate professional and he's a great lad etc and I'm not doubting any of that. But a penalty for a striker should be meat and drink for me.

I agree. I think it means alot for him to play for us. Given the transfer fee and wages comes expectancy and maybe Bruce can get him believing in himself. 

1 hour ago, RichieB said:

They didn't agree to pay anything last year when they did the loan apparently..

But Webber conceded the club may have to look elsewhere to strengthen their attacking options.He said: "First of all, we never had the option to buy him, in writing. We couldn't agree that last summer so we didn't have it. It was just a straight forward loan. 

Interesting though isn’t it, that Chansiri wants the agreement to be honoured but Norwich claim there was no agreement in writing.

Still sounds like Mr C is rather naive in the ways of the football world...best leave it to Bruce to negotiate 

1 minute ago, bigash_swfc said:
1 minute ago, Blatter said:

Interesting though isn’t it, that Chansiri wants the agreement to be honoured but Norwich claim there was no agreement in writing.

Still sounds like Mr C is rather naive in the ways of the football world...best leave it to Bruce to negotiate 

He still doesn't really have a clue and needs to pick things up a lot quicker if we're to ever be competitive in the top 6. It's taken him 3.5 years to sort a good manager and now he needs to look very carefully at his no sale policy that has cost him (the club) multiple millions with very little reward. 

4 hours ago, Rogerwyldesmullet said:

a) if it wasn’t for a brilliant save by the Udds goalie in extra time he would have got us to Wembley

b) He had missed against Leeds and that was probably on his mind

c) It takes a brave man to be a coward some times. Why Waddle took that penalty against Wolves in the Cup 1994 .... he was crap at ‘em - proved a decisive turning point for the club. 

d) Rhodes may have come up short in his time at S6 but perhaps with the possible exception of Bannan, so have ALL the players either in terms goals ( eg Atty, Joao) fitness (eg Lee, Hooper, Hutch, Abdi), consistency (eg Reach, Lees), ability (Jones, Van Aken). That’s why we are where we are, it ain’t all JRs fault. 

Im sure if you asked Sue-Ellen it will be a different story.

• Haha 2