Wednesday's "outrageous" Rhodes valuation

1 hour ago, striker said:

Hopefully valuations will meet in the middle and he will go, best for us and the player. Sounds like they want him, but at a realistic price and to be fair, I can't blame them, £7m is ridiculous. 

One thing is for sure, can't drag in like it did last year. Norwich won't wait around now they need to plan for the premier league. 

Very valid point. If he's staying it will probably mean going with what we've got in terms of strikers and therefore Rhodes will play a full part in preparation for the new season.

• Like 1

Asking for £7 million as a transfer fee for Rhodes is unrealistic.  And everyone can see that apart from our club’s hierarchy.

The club’s bizarre insistence not to sell/loan players below their perceived ‘market value’ (even those out of the first team picture, such as Rhodes) is one of main reasons why our accounts are such a mess.

Because of the financial losses we have endured in the last few seasons, that’s how we ended up having an embargo sanctioned upon us and could end up doing again.  Although it’s difficult to work out how close we are to P&S sanctions because our accounts for 2017/18 are still ridiculously delayed for public release.

In a controversial move, the club have reportedly ended up selling Hillsborough stadium; our home for generations, in an attempt to ‘balance the books’.  A reactionary decision done as a last resort to keep our heads above water, rather than a well thought-out strategy IMO.

It didn’t have to have been this way.

• Thanks 1

Guest Bulgaria

If Rhodes comes back, has a stinker in his first game I could see him becoming a scapegoat rather quickly.

I can't see him wanting to return at all.

Best all round if he or we can find him a new home 

A real shame.

5 minutes ago, A12owl said:

Simple question cos I don't know.....

What were Huddersfield and Blackburn tactics when he scored bucket loads of goals for them ?

How were Rhodes goals scored? Headers, Long Shots, Tap ins ?

There is enough analytical information available these days to find that out. 

How many goals does Aguero score with his head? Do Man City put a load of high balls into the area for him to head home? 

It has to be that you play to a players strengths. You buy a poacher then you don't play him in midfield. Carlos didn't give him a chance possibly because he didn't want JR and was stubborn enough to ensure it didn't work. 

Somebody please tell me the answer to my first question. I would like to know.

He was always paired with a big man, and he scored a variety of goals. The problem is, these are different times, not just for Jordan, who’s lost that bit of pace he had, but the way the game is now, doesn’t suit him as a player.

I’ve seen Jordan Rhodes score goals where he’s run in behind, even from as far as the half way line. He simply can’t do that now

• Thanks 2

Norwich are cash rich & looking to buy our record signing. For them to haggle over 2 or 3 million & the Wednesday fan base to agree with them and undervalue one of our players so much amazes me. They can afford it - if they want him then pay up.

We - as fans - need to start valuing our own a bit more.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

We need to balance the books.

That isn’t going to happen whilst Rhodes is valued at 7m, Forestieri at 14 and Joao at 8. Cloud cuckoo land.

Wake up DC please.

So we should have a fire sale then? Just because we need to balance the books it means we should give our players away? How do we replace them? 

You act like a mug you get treated like a mug.

• Like 1

Sometimes transfers dont work. This one really didnt work out. Best for all parties to move on. 

Get him sold at a realistic price. If that 3 or 4 million go for it. We really need to be getting players sold. 

Edited by Maddogbob

3 hours ago, RUMBELOWS91 said:

https://www.pinkun.com/norwich-city/norwich-city-chief-admits-rhodes-return-is-unlikely-1-6081461

Very interesting read re Rhodes but it's this bit I find most interesting....

"he's 29, he's got two years left on his contract at Wednesday, their valuation of him last summer was outrageous and that will be pretty high again."

Is this symptomatic of the way we've been conducting our business for the last few years?

Is our apparent 'no sale' policy down to wanting to keep the squad together or have we just been grossly over-valuing our players?

Will this be an area Bruce will change I wonder?

I thought he only had a year to run on his contract? 

15 minutes ago, Sham67 said:

They didn't seem to think it was 'outrageous' when they agreed to pay it last year.

They didn't agree any fee, according to their Sporting Director:

"First of all, we never had the option to buy him, in writing. We couldn't agree that last summer so we didn't have it. It was just a straight forward loan. So it's not like we've tried to renegotiate that, it never existed."

Just looking at his goals per minutes ratio (every 108 min) and hes better than most championship strikers last season. In the Premier League that could prove vital. If you were Norwich wouldnt it be better to taken a proven striker who fits well within the squad (and a natural leader as described by Farke) or take another gamble (that has worked for previously with Pukki).

I think a similar price to what Boton got for Madine is reasonable. Perhaps we want Jordan to waive any loyalty payments we may owe him, if we sanction a sale.

21 minutes ago, Bulgaria said:

If Rhodes comes back, has a stinker in his first game I could see him becoming a scapegoat rather quickly.

I can't see him wanting to return at all.

Best all round if he or we can find him a new home 

A real shame.

I think he's already a scapegoat,

I cant see us buying players to suit his style of play in the hope that he comes good for us, better for Bruce to build a team

that he wants, if Rhodes doesn't fit in with these plans, then get rid.

If Bruce wants to build a team which would benefit Rhodes, then maybe we could wait for the right offer from Norwich, or keep him him.

Bruce will know which direction our recruitment is going to go.

At the end of the day he has proved to be a terrible signing so far for us.

Guest Kagoshimaowl
4 hours ago, osowl said:

Well it seems the sensible thing is either sell him to Norwich for maybe 3-4 Million, or he has to be our first/second choice striker.

I say that since I don't see other clubs coming in for him, so we either sell him or use him. 

Steve Bruce, over to you then...

Don’t we still owe Boro 4 million? Surely we’d have to recoup at least that.

2 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

That makes for interesting reading. Norwich really do rate him, don't they?

"It's a difficult one with Jordan because he did so well for us, on and off the pitch. When we talk in terms of the cultural architects within the group, which we've spent a lot of time developing, that's so important, that people get what we want to be.

He was an unbelievable leader in that and people will never - unless you're in the building every day - appreciate what he gave to this club - in terms of other than the important goals he scored, which were there for all to see."

We've certainly not seen the best of Rhodes at Wednesday, but given a fresh start under Bruce, he could yet go on to be of similar importance to us.

That is interesting - I had no idea he was some kind of leader of men father figure type there. Comments suggesting fans would see £3m or £4m as a good deal... and so would I.

3 hours ago, Mr. Tom said:

I don’t think we can really talk about Rhodes in terms of the general model of our (broadly pretty dreadful) transfer activity/policy over the past 3-4 years. Despite the fact that most of us were delighted to get him here, the deal that brought him in was a uniquely naive and shortsighted one, even by our own maddeningly clumsy standards.

We paid so wildly over the odds for him that we can’t possibly sell at a ‘reasonable’ price now, having had so little out of him for the investment we made, without looking like total mugs. (Although the coldly pragmatic part of me says we probably still should do, for his sake and ours - even if it amounts to a tacit public admission that we got our pants pulled down.)

On the other hand, I’d love to see what he can do under Bruce, who I do believe will focus on bringing in some pace down the flanks to provide better service into the box. Finally. We haven’t had that in YEARS, and it was a big part of why JR didn’t get any joy here. Who knows, it could change things massively.

Either way, point is we’ve timed it all so badly that if we give him another season here and it doesn’t work again, we’ll barely be able to ask anything for him the year after - 30, contract winding down, high wage. (A million if we’re lucky?)

Had we made a better post-CC appointment than Jos, who knows. But the time we wasted treading water there played a big part in putting us where we are now re: Rhodes, ie. in a very awkward position.

One thing I really think we must bear in mind either way is that none of this is Jordan’s fault, and it’s unfair to talk the way some do as if he had anything to do with the fee. We’ve spent considerably more, collectively, on at least four or five other players who’ve contributed far less between them even than Rhodes has been able to in his frustrating time here so far.

There’s no use in pointing the finger at any one person, because it’s been a joint effort really, but the money we’ve frittered in the past few years on weird agent shenanigans and gross errors of judgment really has been shocking.

Rhodes may have had the highest individual price tag, but reactions to his time at Norwich have for me confirmed what we already knew: look past the silly numbers and he’s a player who will score goals (9 for Norwich = joint third top scorer for us, level with Reach), even when not fully sharp/on form/starting. A true pro who always works his butt off and is great for the dressing room. He’s still ours as things stand - it’d be absolutely joyful to see him hit 20 in a season here. Can he? I suspect so, but it’s a gamble.

We know we’ve stuffed up financially, and selling for just £3-4m now - although exacerbating our FFP issues in the very short-term - might well be less damaging overall than getting next to nothing in 12 months’ time (having already paid another year of his wages). Or perhaps not, depending on how the 3-year rolling loss period works out - you’d need the full accounts in front of you to really see all the permutations clearly.

Can we afford to roll the dice again on keeping him? Fletcher has played brilliantly this season, but not as a finisher, whereas that’s really all Rhodes does in the right setup. Bruce badly needs a player LIKE Rhodes, but we’ve not got the money to buy anyone established - it’s JR or a young loan gamble.

High stakes. Very tricky situation.

If the gamble had come off his fee would have been considered peanuts and a very astute financial move.  

Small margins.

Guest wilyfox
1 minute ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

Don’t we still owe Boro 4 million? Surely we’d have to recoup at least that.

That's the magic number for me. If Norwich pay what we still owe and take Rhodes' wage permanently off our books...they can have him. I still believe Rhodes can score a quantity of goals, but I don't think he has the legs to play the way Bruce speaks of, nor does he seem to wanna come back here. So, we need a deal.