Wednesday's "outrageous" Rhodes valuation

https://www.pinkun.com/norwich-city/norwich-city-chief-admits-rhodes-return-is-unlikely-1-6081461

Very interesting read re Rhodes but it's this bit I find most interesting....

"he's 29, he's got two years left on his contract at Wednesday, their valuation of him last summer was outrageous and that will be pretty high again."

Is this symptomatic of the way we've been conducting our business for the last few years?

Is our apparent 'no sale' policy down to wanting to keep the squad together or have we just been grossly over-valuing our players?

Will this be an area Bruce will change I wonder?

8 minutes ago, RUMBELOWS91 said:

https://www.pinkun.com/norwich-city/norwich-city-chief-admits-rhodes-return-is-unlikely-1-6081461

Very interesting read re Rhodes but it's this bit I find most interesting....

"he's 29, he's got two years left on his contract at Wednesday, their valuation of him last summer was outrageous and that will be pretty high again."

Is this symptomatic of the way we've been conducting our business for the last few years?

Is our apparent 'no sale' policy down to wanting to keep the squad together or have we just been grossly over-valuing our players?

Will this be an area Bruce will change I wonder?

Well it seems the sensible thing is either sell him to Norwich for maybe 3-4 Million, or he has to be our first/second choice striker.

I say that since I don't see other clubs coming in for him, so we either sell him or use him. 

Steve Bruce, over to you then...

Just get rid of him, he's no desire to play for us, didn't give a to55 whilst he was here, bottled out of taking a penalty against his beloved Huddersfield

An absolute waste of money.  get him off the books. And no...I never wanted him here at the time either ( before anyone uses that excuse )

We don't need bottlers this season. We need people that want to play for the club.

Edited by quinnssweetshop

1 minute ago, quinnssweetshop said:

Just get rid of him, he's no desire to play for us, didn't give a to55 whilst he was here, bottled out of taking a penalty against his beloved Huddersfield

An absolute waste of money.  get him off the books. And no...I never wanted him here at the time either ( before anyone uses that excuse )

Sympathise with the frustration mate but honestly I think your first paragraph there is way off. It seemed far more like his struggle for form/service in a weird team shape here shredded what little confidence was left in him after his Boro debacle. He was visibly delighted to be here and worked hard, but looked broken by the time ‘pengate’ came along.

Don’t forget how toxic the atmosphere was becoming around S6 at that time. Yes he *should’ve* been able to shrug that off as a professional, but we all know his personality - he’s about the nicest guy in football, and for better or worse that tends to mean he’s very human with it. He was properly rattled, desire or commitment didn’t come into it for me.

• Like 3

That makes for interesting reading. Norwich really do rate him, don't they?

"It's a difficult one with Jordan because he did so well for us, on and off the pitch. When we talk in terms of the cultural architects within the group, which we've spent a lot of time developing, that's so important, that people get what we want to be.

He was an unbelievable leader in that and people will never - unless you're in the building every day - appreciate what he gave to this club - in terms of other than the important goals he scored, which were there for all to see."

We've certainly not seen the best of Rhodes at Wednesday, but given a fresh start under Bruce, he could yet go on to be of similar importance to us.

37 minutes ago, Mr. Tom said:

Sympathise with the frustration mate but honestly I think your first paragraph there is way off. It seemed far more like his struggle for form/service in a weird team shape here shredded what little confidence was left in him after his Boro debacle. He was visibly delighted to be here and worked hard, but looked broken by the time ‘pengate’ came along.

Don’t forget how toxic the atmosphere was becoming around S6 at that time. Yes he *should’ve* been able to shrug that off as a professional, but we all know his personality - he’s about the nicest guy in football, and for better or worse that tends to mean he’s very human with it. He was properly rattled, desire or commitment didn’t come into it for me.

He's supposed to be a pro, not a patient. He was happy to take the cash... and footballs a team game. He was never a team player.

Any " striker " who doesn't want to take a penalty on thousands per week... for doing just that.........should never play for us again.

let's get him off the books and promote the youth that wants to actually play for the club. Not sit and whimper.

Edited by quinnssweetshop

Be happy if we can get enough to cover the Hector deal, Rhodes isn’t good enough to build a side around. I said at the time, Boro have had our pants down, but we’ll be very lucky to do the same to Norwich, or anyone else.

10 minutes ago, quinnssweetshop said:

He's supposed to be a pro, not a patient. He was happy to take the cash... and footballs a team game. He was never a team player.

Any " striker " who doesn't want to take a penalty on thousands per week... for doing just that.........should never play for us again.

a) if it wasn’t for a brilliant save by the Udds goalie in extra time he would have got us to Wembley

b) He had missed against Leeds and that was probably on his mind

c) It takes a brave man to be a coward some times. Why Waddle took that penalty against Wolves in the Cup 1994 .... he was crap at ‘em - proved a decisive turning point for the club. 

d) Rhodes may have come up short in his time at S6 but perhaps with the possible exception of Bannan, so have ALL the players either in terms goals ( eg Atty, Joao) fitness (eg Lee, Hooper, Hutch, Abdi), consistency (eg Reach, Lees), ability (Jones, Van Aken). That’s why we are where we are, it ain’t all JRs fault. 

Edited by Rogerwyldesmullet
  • Like 4

We have turned down decent bids for players because we either didn’t want to sell or wanted more money. In some cases asking for more might be ok but in the case of players like David Jones and potentially even Jordan Rhodes it makes sense to try and get some money back.

Reading the article though it all seems part of the negotiation. Never said the deal was off, just a public message of “lower the price please”

Edited by Bluesteel
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rogerwyldesmullet said:

Rhodes may have come up short in his time at S6

it ain’t all JRs fault. 

1. Threads about Jordan Rhodes - You're spot on with the first line
2. Never said it was - refer to point 1

Jordan Rhodes was crap for us. there's no argument on that.
Get rid, get a player in that wants to play for us, not someone that doesn't

Hopefully valuations will meet in the middle and he will go, best for us and the player. Sounds like they want him, but at a realistic price and to be fair, I can't blame them, £7m is ridiculous. 

One thing is for sure, can't drag in like it did last year. Norwich won't wait around now they need to plan for the premier league. 

Edited by striker

When Carlos said Rhodes had to adapt to the way we play did it for me.

You don't sign a proven striker for £8million and try and adapt his game.to suit the team, you play to his strengths. If he stays I hope Bruce can do this!

Has Jordan accepted that he will only ever have a role from the bench? That will certainly be the way he’s used at Norwich, but if he’s settled back in East Anglia, and he can earn a Premier League wage, then why not. There won’t be many clubs where he will get a gig, as most sides now cannot carry a goal poacher. 

Nothing against Rhodes but his signing has been a disaster from start to finish.

Think we received a £1M loan fee last year ?............if so i would settle on £4m right now which would recoup half of what we paid , and get the f*** outta Dodge before Norwich change their mind.

• Like 1