Old Wednesday stories /Legends/Fairy tales

2 minutes ago, asteener1867 said:

Grimsby away could be hairy if you got caught on your own in Cleethorpes.....I remember havin' to sit in a dodgem car for 20 minutes while some Wednesday turned up once...head down pretendin' to look for two bob to put in lol

I got battered at Boro' (the 8-0 game) and Bradford because I got caught out on my own. Stupid and naive.

Edited by Utah Owl

4 minutes ago, Utah Owl said:

I got battered at Boro' (the 8-0 game) and Bradford because I got caught out on my own. Stupid and naive.

'Boro  suddenly charged from outta a graveyard near Ayrsome once...proper worrying...It was like Zombie wars....pyschological....freakin' 6ft smoggy suddenly risin' from behind a tombstone!!!......Glad to get outta there lol

Edited by asteener1867
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, alanharper said:

Doing that in 47 seconds has to be almost impossible for all but an elite athlete surely, without literally cutting corners. Even just going from the tunnel to the far corner flag and back has to be the best part of 250 yards, so Usain Bolt at his peak would have taken up to 25 seconds to do that - but up to the back of the Kop and back down as well, running up and down steps and making sharp turns? No chance. 

I once knew the real answer, and it was unbelievable, can't remember phookall now but that is the figure i keep remembering for whatever reason (for all i know it might be the seconds i put my pie on in the microwave).

I worked it out at 50 yards to the corner flag, 15 yards to the gate, 40 yards up the Kop (all uphill on the steps though), 60 yards along the back of the Kop, 15 yards to the aisle, 15 yards to the tunnel, 20 yards from the back of the tunnel to the north west corner, 110 yards to the south stand, 50 yards again back to the tunnel.

375 yards in total (might be more, might be less)

All i know is that he was pretty damn quick.

Farting Complaint about 'The Wednesday' lads !

Back in the days of Olive Grove 'The Wednesday' boys would have organised for them a midweek training session followed by an evenings entertainment at the empire or one of several other theatres. The team would meet at Olive Grove in bad weather they would be met by horse drawn carriage, in good weather Hike, through Ecclesall and Parkhead on the way to an hour or two physical training on top of Dore. Lunch was contracted with the Dore Moor Inn. As much as 25lb of Steak braised in thick, very thick, Onion Gravy together with Mash and two Veg.

The return to the Grove would always be by Horse drawn carriage. They would change and go onto the evenings entertainment at one or other of the theatres.

Usually, as the curtain rose or soon thereafter the copious amount of Onions would have a bearing on the players digestive systems and some (Many) Farts would emannate   some soft , some loud , but all pungent !  After a few weeks of this complaints were received from customers by Theatre managers who spoke to the Wednesday hierarchy and soon there was made a variance to the Dore Moor Inn contract ...Onions were deleted from the menu, Sheffield became a Fart free zone !          

• Haha 2

On 31/05/2019 at 19:07, Hougoumont said:

I saw Stan Mathews play at Hillsborough. I don't know how old he was but it was right at the fag end of his career and it was for Stoke. Don Megson was full back and the crowd booed him every time he took the ball off the old man

BTW... I think the full back you refer to was Norman Curtis... apparently a right hard twot.

Matthews never played at Hillsborough during his second spell for Stoke.

He played in 60-61 for Blackpool when we won 4-0.  I do remember him dribbling round Kay and Megson though, in that game.  

Yes Norman Curtis was the hard man.  

On ‎06‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 10:16, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

Farting Complaint about 'The Wednesday' lads !

Back in the days of Olive Grove 'The Wednesday' boys would have organised for them a midweek training session followed by an evenings entertainment at the empire or one of several other theatres. The team would meet at Olive Grove in bad weather they would be met by horse drawn carriage, in good weather Hike, through Ecclesall and Parkhead on the way to an hour or two physical training on top of Dore. Lunch was contracted with the Dore Moor Inn. As much as 25lb of Steak braised in thick, very thick, Onion Gravy together with Mash and two Veg.

The return to the Grove would always be by Horse drawn carriage. They would change and go onto the evenings entertainment at one or other of the theatres.

Usually, as the curtain rose or soon thereafter the copious amount of Onions would have a bearing on the players digestive systems and some (Many) Farts would emannate   some soft , some loud , but all pungent !  After a few weeks of this complaints were received from customers by Theatre managers who spoke to the Wednesday hierarchy and soon there was made a variance to the Dore Moor Inn contract ...Onions were deleted from the menu, Sheffield became a Fart free zone !          

FFS lads. First it's onions that get banned and then Jos goes and bans mushrooms.!!!! :Sid: 

On 05/06/2019 at 18:38, asteener1867 said:

It just needed Benny Hill music....

TYhey got chased from under the old electric scoreboard... down the ramp...appeared again far right, bottom of Kop...chased from there...appeared bottom left 5 minutes later...chased from there... re appeared bottom right again..............then got taken into Tangos triangle If I recall....no real trouble....just funny

TAKEN INTO TANGO'S TRIANGLE?

Sounds like a gameshow

Or a muck film

WTF:

• Haha 2

On 03/06/2019 at 10:47, torryowl said:

Curtis was before my time but theres no doubt that the refs were far more lenient when I stated going in the early 60s ….the sunday papers would lament the behaviour of the players back then by writing to the there horror that on the previous Saturday they had been over 30 bookings in the football league ……didn't we go something like nearly 2 years in the mid 60s without getting a penalty?...….totally different game back then which is one of the reasons when we have debates on who's the greatest of all time I usually go with players from that era .players like messi ,Ronaldo would find it difficult to play as they do when defenders could go thru them from behind and chip them on to the gravel with the offending defender getting no more than a finger wagging from the ref .

I've just read: "The Greatest Player You Never Saw" about Robin Friday who set the lower leagues alight in the mid 70s at Reading and Cardiff but had personal demons and only played for 3 seasons.

It is a good book but written in the form of local newspaper extracts telling the story. It is amazing to see the emphasis put on bookings. It is like it is a cardinal sin. Several times he "ruined his great performance" by getting booked, usually for reacting to a defender who had kicked him to pieces all game.

Was really interesting seeing what a big deal a booking was back then. And how relatively rate they must have been. Can you imagine a player getting a hat trick and then "ruining it" by getting a yellow card in the modern game?

On 31/05/2019 at 21:57, torryowl said:

I always thought eric taylor got a raw deal with the myth of  him  spending money on the ground rather than the team …….

On 31/05/2019 at 22:10, REDOWL said:

You are right. Forty five years at Wednesday from office boy to Vice President and he bled Sheffield Wednesday. That’s the trouble I suppose,those that do most often get criticised most....in his case most unfairly.

On 31/05/2019 at 23:59, legendaryswan said:

Spot on,the board got away scot free but Taylor was a more public figure he relayed all the decisions taken at board level,while they sat in the boardroom happy to let Eric take the flack.

It was a closed shop untill MM came along and had been run that way for decades

It was way before my time but my Dad has always blamed the Board and I suppose Eric Taylor for failing to back Harry Catterick when he wanted to sign Joe Baker during the 60/61 season, when they were battling for the title with Spurs. As we know Catterick resigned over the issue and went to Everton, ultimately leading them to two league titles and a cup win! Was the North Stand being built at the time? If so I suppose many fans would regard the ground redevelopment as a reason for the Boards refusal to back Catterick.

As regards Stories, Myths & Legends, I don't know where I heard this, maybe from my Dad or Grandad, but the story goes that when Eric Taylor was trying to persuade a player to sign for Wednesday if they came to Sheffield by train he used to send a car to collect the player from the station. As he didn't want the player to be put off by all the industry along the Don Valley the driver was under strict instructions not to bring them directly back to Hillsborough along Penistone Road, but instead drive away from the city centre along Ecclesall Road following a route through the pleasant leafy western suburbs before approaching Hillsborough along Rivelin Valley. I've no idea if it's true or not.

13 minutes ago, oldowl67 said:

It was way before my time but my Dad has always blamed the Board and I suppose Eric Taylor for failing to back Harry Catterick when he wanted to sign Joe Baker during the 60/61 season, when they were battling for the title with Spurs. As we know Catterick resigned over the issue and went to Everton, ultimately leading them to two league titles and a cup win! Was the North Stand being built at the time? If so I suppose many fans would regard the ground redevelopment as a reason for the Boards refusal to back Catterick.

As regards Stories, Myths & Legends, I don't know where I heard this, maybe from my Dad or Grandad, but the story goes that when Eric Taylor was trying to persuade a player to sign for Wednesday if they came to Sheffield by train he used to send a car to collect the player from the station. As he didn't want the player to be put off by all the industry along the Don Valley the driver was under strict instructions not to bring them directly back to Hillsborough along Penistone Road, but instead drive away from the city centre along Ecclesall Road following a route through the pleasant leafy western suburbs before approaching Hillsborough along Rivelin Valley. I've no idea if it's true or not.

Heard the same thing regarding Baker..think he was at Forest

as for the journey through Sheffield..I can believe it.....

Anyone coming back from say grimsby or anywhere east on a train to Sheffield after nightfall in the 60's or early 70's would tell you there were about 2 miles where you could just see white hot metal pourin' into the Don steam smoke an' noxious fumes..For returning Wednesday supporters ..it was like a warm welcome home...for any other f.ooker it looked like the pits of hell had just opened lol 

Did you also know...Theres two Wednesday fans who never age..

Ones a small teenage looking lad with a 70's "curtains" haircut..The other is an older bloke, bearded..looks about 70 (but he has done since the mid 60's) carries an old battered briefcase...Ive been seeing both of them home and away for 50 years...They never look any older...its true i tell ye!

31 minutes ago, asteener1867 said:

Did you also know...Theres two Wednesday fans who never age..

Ones a small teenage looking lad with a 70's "curtains" haircut..The other is an older bloke, bearded..looks about 70 (but he has done since the mid 60's) carries an old battered briefcase...Ive been seeing both of them home and away for 50 years...They never look any older...its true i tell ye!

I've seen em having some play sword fight, while shouting there can be only one. 

Looked off their nuts, but both insisted they couldn't lose their head.

Edited by OWL1969
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, OWL1969 said:

I've seen em having some play sword fight, while shouting there can be only one. 

Looked off their nuts, but both insisted they couldn't lose their head.

Kinda get the thread of this post, both of them nuts so they had a screw loose, uh? Do they make a bolt for the exits after their fencing fracas :Sid: 

21 hours ago, oldowl67 said:

The car journey story is true and was often quoted in relation to the signing of Ron Springett.

Ron himself confirmed that this happened when he joined us and had influenced his decision.

40 minutes ago, eastlancsowl said:

I saw a Sam Ellis  kick the ball onto the North stand roof during a clearance. John Stones he wasn't.

I saw JJ do the same thing. He was shooting though :tango:

• Haha 2