Old Wednesday stories /Legends/Fairy tales

1 hour ago, asteener1867 said:

Would have loved to see Willie Henderson do that lol

Remember him heading a high dropping ball once in front of The north..then staggering about pretending to be stunned in  Norman wisdom style...Loved watching him play...I swear to god even HE didn't know which way he was gonna go 

I loved Willie Henderson (It's tough at the top), oh to have seen him in his prime.

Mind you, could say that about Waddle and Francis, and probarbly a few more that i can't think of at the minute.

Edited by MAL

2 hours ago, asteener1867 said:

Nah...Only played them in the F.A cup once when Ellis was playing...lost 2-1 no own goals...

Jack Whitham scored our goal after 4 minutes. 1969/70 season. However, I thought it was a Sam Ellis OG too for some reason. This owld age and memory thing feckin sucks, FFS :Sid: 

On 1 June 2019 at 19:28, Blatter said:

It’s true I was there with my Dad.

Megson senior had taken over at left back from Norman Curtis a year or two earlier so must have been 1963/4 when Stoke returned to top division.

Matthews was born 1915 incredibly making him 48 or 49  and still playing in the top division, against Megson’s mid 20’s.

He wrong footed and glided past Megson a couple of times early on but that was it really. After that young Don soon found he could easily catch him up and slide tackle him. It was cruel really cos Megson never pulled out of a tackle and some in the crowd did boo the more robust challenges.

I vaguely remember Matthews playing at Hillsborough (possibly Don Megson's testimonial or maybe John Fantham's testimonial?). Megson's was highly regarded in the world of professional football and I remember watching some top class players on show that night but can't be certain that Matthews was on the pitch.

Can anyone confirm this, please?

11 hours ago, MAL said:

My Eric Potts story.

Think I've said it before, but hoping someone else knows it because i cannot remember how quick it actually was.

For training they used to have a timed sprint race, one at a time, from the tunnel on the South Stand.

It went up the longest steps of the Kop.

Then along the back of the Kop.

Then half way down the shortest steps of the Kop.

Then turn right along to the tunnel.

Then down the tunnel to the back of the Kop.

Then round the back of the North West Corner.

Then along the front of the kop.

Then turn and follow the South Stand, back to the tunnel.

This is the route...

369587046_InkedKopYes_LI2.jpg.6d2792f46b6e19f9d8653b1ff69950b1.jpg

Eric Potts did it in what i think was 47 seconds (it was quick anyway)

If anybody know's anybody at the club, i would love to know the exact time.

Bet he went to work on an egg that day!

On 03/06/2019 at 13:52, Cypriot Owl said:

A true story,

I used to work in a city centre restaurant which was frequented by some of the Wednesday players.
One Monday lunch time Lee Chapman came in with Mark Chamberlain and we had a little chat about the previous weekends game.
When we finished talking I was asked by a female member of staff who the two men were.
I told her their names, mentioning that Chapman had scored for us a couple of days ago and Chamberlain was an ex England player and she asked which was which because, she said,
“All footballers look the same to me”

Lee.jpg

Mark.jpg

Spit and gob

19 hours ago, cognacbarnowl said:

Jack Whitham scored our goal after 4 minutes. 1969/70 season. However, I thought it was a Sam Ellis OG too for some reason. This owld age and memory thing feckin sucks, FFS :Sid: 

That was Don Megson's last game for Wednesday. He ended up being subbed cos he was absolutely roasted by some kid called Keegan.....

Was a sad end to a fantastic career.

20 hours ago, Mycroft said:

Sounds like you could be ghosting in soon. Keep ya spirits up :biggrin:

lol  when I pop me clogs I've decided I'm going to haunt the goal in front of the Kop. Expect to see some unexpected slip ups from visiting keepers and some miraculous world class saves by The Wednesday keepers :Sid: . Now all I need to do is work out how to get a "FFS" into this post. DOH!!! :duntmatter:

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, asteener1867 said:

You did well to find it mate

Looked all over could find the scorers against Scunthorpe  but nowt on Bournemouth 

Whitham for Wednesday Cassidy and Barker for cunthorpe (as it used to say on the old scoreboard when it was on its last legs Along with Frimsby)

2 hours ago, Owl Capone said:

Whitham for Wednesday Cassidy and Barker for cunthorpe (as it used to say on the old scoreboard when it was on its last legs Along with Frimsby)

Yes I remember when Frimsby was on its last legs.

On 03/06/2019 at 15:37, MAL said:

My Eric Potts story.

Think I've said it before, but hoping someone else knows it because i cannot remember how quick it actually was.

For training they used to have a timed sprint race, one at a time, from the tunnel on the South Stand.

It went up the longest steps of the Kop.

Then along the back of the Kop.

Then half way down the shortest steps of the Kop.

Then turn right along to the tunnel.

Then down the tunnel to the back of the Kop.

Then round the back of the North West Corner.

Then along the front of the kop.

Then turn and follow the South Stand, back to the tunnel.

This is the route...

369587046_InkedKopYes_LI2.jpg.6d2792f46b6e19f9d8653b1ff69950b1.jpg

Eric Potts did it in what i think was 47 seconds (it was quick anyway)

If anybody know's anybody at the club, i would love to know the exact time.

Doing that in 47 seconds has to be almost impossible for all but an elite athlete surely, without literally cutting corners. Even just going from the tunnel to the far corner flag and back has to be the best part of 250 yards, so Usain Bolt at his peak would have taken up to 25 seconds to do that - but up to the back of the Kop and back down as well, running up and down steps and making sharp turns? No chance. 

9 minutes ago, alanharper said:

Doing that in 47 seconds has to be almost impossible for all but an elite athlete surely, without literally cutting corners. Even just going from the tunnel to the far corner flag and back has to be the best part of 250 yards, so Usain Bolt at his peak would have taken up to 25 seconds to do that - but up to the back of the Kop and back down as well, running up and down steps and making sharp turns? No chance. 

Saw a group of Sunderland fans do it once when the Ozzie Owl club emptied and they were found on the Kop lol

• Haha 5

1 minute ago, asteener1867 said:

Saw a group of Sunderland fans do it once when the Ozzie Owl club emptied and they were found on the Kop lol

I witnessed that from the NWC. Looked pretty spectacular!

5 minutes ago, Utah Owl said:

I witnessed that from the NWC. Looked pretty spectacular!

It just needed Benny Hill music....

TYhey got chased from under the old electric scoreboard... down the ramp...appeared again far right, bottom of Kop...chased from there...appeared bottom left 5 minutes later...chased from there... re appeared bottom right again..............then got taken into Tangos triangle If I recall....no real trouble....just funny

1 minute ago, asteener1867 said:

It just needed Benny Hill music....

TYhey got chased from under the old electric scoreboard... down the ramp...appeared again far right, bottom of Kop...chased from there...appeared bottom left 5 minutes later...chased from there... re appeared bottom right again..............then got taken into Tangos triangle If I recall....no real trouble....just funny

Around that time, Forest, Boro, Millwall, Grimsby all tried and all failed. In fairness the Sunderland and Forest lot managed to stay on the kop, the rest ended up going across the pitch to the lane end.

3 minutes ago, Utah Owl said:

Around that time, Forest, Boro, Millwall, Grimsby all tried and all failed. In fairness the Sunderland and Forest lot managed to stay on the kop, the rest ended up going across the pitch to the lane end.

Grimsby away could be hairy if you got caught on your own in Cleethorpes.....I remember havin' to sit in a dodgem car for 20 minutes while some Wednesday turned up once...head down pretendin' to look for two bob to put in lol

• Haha 3