Old Wednesday stories /Legends/Fairy tales

Might be the wrong section..but move it Mods if deemed so..

My first stories were heard in the Cambridge pub, which older lads will remember it, as what looked like an old terraced house on Penistone...but had a pub sign hanging outside.

It was around '63'/64..I was 6....

As I remember them...The old discussions were about players like "Mother" Turton..a right or left back..who could run "backards " as fast as he could run "Forrards"....I remember..after hearing this story many times over a period of years..askin' 

"Did he run really slowly "forrards" ..cos that would sort of mean he wa sn't that fast when he was runnin' "backards"

I got a clip and was told to eat me crisps

There was one bloke who was a friend of me uncles used to have a story that always made me laugh..it was the way he told it, and the actions..He f.ookin' told it every other week , but I looked forward to it..

It went

"Wednesday had a goalkeeper who always trotted up towards the halfway line when Wednesday were attacking...If the Wednesday forwards lost the ball to the opposition ..He would tear back down the pitch shoutin'

"They're Comin'"    !!!!!!!!!!"

It always cracked me up..still does..anyone else heard of it?

Legend has it Stanley Mathews would rarely play at Hillsborough because of a certain Wednesday full back who would always kick him into the North first 5 minutes..

It was only ever announced minutes before kick off that "Mathews was injured"..due to the numbers he put on the gate...cue laughs and boos around Hillsborough...

Edited by asteener1867
  • Haha 2

I saw Stan Mathews play at Hillsborough. I don't know how old he was but it was right at the fag end of his career and it was for Stoke. Don Megson was full back and the crowd booed him every time he took the ball off the old man

BTW... I think the full back you refer to was Norman Curtis... apparently a right hard twot.

Edited by Hougoumont
  • Thanks 1

Heard that said about the legendary Ernest Blenkinsop, in regards to the great Stanley Matthews. Our best ever full back. Also read that our Jackie Robinson was for a while considered as good as Matthews but his peak came during the war. Often been told how great Ron Springett was, even from non Wednesday football fans, who told me he would catch everything not like modern keepers, even with the harder ball and no gloves.

Edited by Mr. Wednesday

12 minutes ago, Weshallovercome said:

May 1966.......me dad saying 'sorry son we could only get 3 tickets', even though I was a season ticket holder.

Found out about 20 years later my dad and 2 Uncles wanted a pee up in London without a young sprog tagging along.

Tw@ts.

SELFISH Tw@ts. How can you do that to a young lad.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Wednesday said:

Heard that said about the legendary Ernest Blenkinsop, in regards to the great Stanley Matthews. Our best ever full back. Also read that our Jackie Robinson was for a while considered as good as Matthews but his peak came during the war. Often been told how great Ron Springett was, even from non Wednesday football fans, who told me he would catch everything not like modern keepers, even with the harder ball and no gloves.

Blenkinsop's career with us doesn't tie up time wise with Matthews so that's probably apocryphal …….never having seen Matthews or robinson I wouldn't know but to be in the England team at he age of 20 robinson must have been some player …….believe everything that anyone tells you about springett unless there a blunt who laughingly thought Hodgkinson was better . 

• Thanks 1

Mentioned this before but just cant help myself. First game was 9th March 1963,we beat Man City 4-1 with David “Bronco”Layne getting a hat trick. Around that time they were all heroes to me especially Ron Springett.

Those years passed into the Ozzy Owl Club era where, on match days,there was a comedian,yard of ale contest and a stripper(sometimes) We were then chucked out in the pouring rain to stand on a kop with no roof.

Great days and great memories.

2 hours ago, asteener1867 said:

Might be the wrong section..but move it Mods if deemed so..

My first stories were heard in the Cambridge pub, which older lads will remember it, as what looked like an old terraced house on Penistone...but had a pub sign hanging outside.

It was around '63'/64..I was 6....

As I remember them...The old discussions were about players like "Mother" Turton..a right or left back..who could run "backards " as fast as he could run "Forrards"....I remember..after hearing this story many times over a period of years..askin' 

"Did he run really slowly "forrards" ..cos that would sort of mean he wa sn't that fast when he was runnin' "backards"

I got a clip and was told to eat me crisps

There was one bloke who was a friend of me uncles used to have a story that always made me laugh..it was the way he told it, and the actions..He f.ookin' told it every other week , but I looked forward to it..

It went

"Wednesday had a goalkeeper who always trotted up towards the halfway line when Wednesday were attacking...If the Wednesday forwards lost the ball to the opposition ..He would tear back down the pitch shoutin'

"They're Comin'"    !!!!!!!!!!"

It always cracked me up..still does..anyone else heard of it?

Legend has it Stanley Mathews would rarely play at Hillsborough because of a certain Wednesday full back who would always kick him into the North first 5 minutes..

It was only ever announced minutes before kick off that "Mathews was injured"..due to the numbers he put on the gate...cue laughs and boos around Hillsborough...

I heard that story about Matthews from an old Wednesday fan way back in the 70's!

9 minutes ago, torryowl said:

Blenkinsop's career with us doesn't tie up time wise with Matthews so that's probably apocryphal …….never having seen Matthews or robinson I wouldn't know but to be in the England team at he age of 20 robinson must have been some player …….believe everything that anyone tells you about springett unless there a blunt who laughingly thought Hodgkinson was better . 

Thing is based on what I've heard that Hodgkinson was a good keeper in his own right but Springett was in a completely different league. I saw them both but was too young to recognise the difference.

1 minute ago, Utah Owl said:

Thing is based on what I've heard that Hodgkinson was a good keeper in his own right but Springett was in a completely different league. I saw them both but was too young to recognise the difference.

Ron Springett travelled on the same train as us after home games when he changed stations for London. Every time he was besieged by us asking for autographs and a chat. He never once refused and shared his journey and his time with the fans. A true gent and a top notch keeper.

• Like 1

Guest addedtime

I drank fresh orange juice in Jon Newsome's kitchen while his young son ran his bike into his dad's new Merc.

31 minutes ago, Utah Owl said:

i suppose you cant play 600 games and not be good but your right ron was far better …..

10 minutes ago, torryowl said:

I always thought eric taylor got a raw deal with the myth of  him  spending money on the ground rather than the team …….

You are right. Forty five years at Wednesday from office boy to Vice President and he bled Sheffield Wednesday. That’s the trouble I suppose,those that do most often get criticised most....in his case most unfairly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, torryowl said:

I always thought eric taylor got a raw deal with the myth of  him  spending money on the ground rather than the team …….

Spot on,the board got away scot free but Taylor was a more public figure he relayed all the decisions taken at board level,while they sat in the boardroom happy to let Eric take the flack.

It was a closed shop untill MM came along and had been run that way for decades