Sam Winnall

I can't see Winnall ever cutting it here. The day we signed Rhodes made him a pointless signing TBH. As for people comparing him to Nuhiu, totally different players. Nuhiu is more of a team player and a focal point when he's on the pitch. Winnall probably is a better finisher but Bruce will get rid of him before Nuhiu IMO.

45 minutes ago, Lawrie Madden said:

Way to miss the point 

The poster said that Winnall is the only striker he’s seen who works his socks off and my rebuttal is that whatever you think of Atty as a player ( obviously you don’t rate him I get that ) the one thing he can’t be accused of is not working hard when he plays yet you miss that point and attack Atty, well done 

Never got that point of view. Runs like he's pulling a monster truck, not better than average at anything

13 minutes ago, BigBlueDan said:

Never got that point of view. Runs like he's pulling a monster truck, not better than average at anything

Even if he ran at 2 miles an hour it doesn't take away from the fact that when he's on the pitch he works his nads off

Edited by Lawrie Madden

I quite like Winnall.  I would like to see us give him a proper run in the side, then judge him on that.  

It all depends however on which strikers we will keep this summer.  Bruce says we need to offload a few up top.  Who goes and who stays is anybody's guess.

3 minutes ago, Lawrie Madden said:

Even if he ran at 2 miles an hour it doesn't take away from the fact that when he's on the pitch he works his nads off

Never comes across like that. Just a poor player, will never be a regular for a decent side.

21 hours ago, stocksyuto said:

I want him to have a proper go at it hes the only striker I see work his socks off when he gets games, But no point him hanging around if Bruce wknt play him move him on , I'm hoping hes in front of nuhiu at least this season

21 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Do you not watch Fletcher, then?

:duntmatter:

I tend to split our attacking forces into 4 sections a) wide players/wingers. not at present, and vitally important that we get the best we can get here for this spot, with ff as a back up.

b) target man, fletcher, with nuhiu as second choice (at present).

c) support for target man/runner, winnall, rhodes, ff.

d) 'it's up to you, it depends if you want it badly enough', joao.

tbh at the time I thought we signed winnall (and in a very good deal too) as a gateway to 'ease' what we hoped was the upcoming transfer of connor hourihane.

not sure how far off the mark I am with that?

but from memory jokewell was up in arms at winnall's move due to their utter hatred of wednesday.

I think 1.5 - 2 million is a snip for any club wanting a striker like Winnall he’s an hard worker and giving a decent run and supplies he will score goals. I don’t see him being anywhere near a starting place a head of fletcher forestieri or Joao and I think nuihiu will always be favoured ahead of him even if we sell any of the others o think Bruce would look to bring someone else ahead of him. With 1 year left I think we should be looking to get some money in for him and I think that means a club will get a decent player for a reasonable price in today’s market. For us to try and keep him and drive a higher price like 4 million plus would just means we have another fringe player leaving for free at the end of the season

even if winnals reportable 18k a week was a stumbling block we should look to cover the difference to enable him to move and get some cash Back in. Sales are key to keeping us going let’s get some cash in 

if we can more fine but all I see is 18k a week for someone who baring injuries will struggle to make the match squad and feature only in the cup and then go for free that’s madness 

1 hour ago, Lawrie Madden said:

I don’t know his character but Jos aside why would the other managers not use a player that’s as good as you think Winnall is ?

It must be something in training that makes them not trust him 

How good I think he is? I just think he’s had a raw deal here scoring goals before he came and then not really been given a run in the side that you would expect a new signing to be given. Let’s not forget before he came here he had a healthy scoring record in the EFL generally...

https://www.theleaguepaper.com/featured/7785/free-scoring-owl-winnall-wants-to-surpass-agueros-goal-record/

Strikers who score a lot of goals are a bit of a commodity and had he played more then perhaps we could’ve made some money on him. But I suspect we will move him on for what we paid.

i think the reasons are that we had so many strikers and that Rhodes moved shortly afterward and that was an expensive signing that we needed to try and make work. I also think that in Carlos’ side he needed to be able to link play when Hooper and Fletcher are a lot better at that. But Winnall, less refined, seemed to keep things simple and get shots away.  Just a straight forward player who seems to have a knack of scoring goals. He might fit into a Steve Bruce side with wingers but I suspect he will want to move as many as he can out and bring his own men in. 

Edited by Bluesteel

8 minutes ago, fpowl said:

I think 1.5 - 2 million is a snip for any club wanting a striker like Winnall he’s an hard worker and giving a decent run and supplies he will score goals. I don’t see him being anywhere near a starting place a head of fletcher forestieri or Joao and I think nuihiu will always be favoured ahead of him even if we sell any of the others o think Bruce would look to bring someone else ahead of him. With 1 year left I think we should be looking to get some money in for him and I think that means a club will get a decent player for a reasonable price in today’s market. For us to try and keep him and drive a higher price like 4 million plus would just means we have another fringe player leaving for free at the end of the season

even if winnals reportable 18k a week was a stumbling block we should look to cover the difference to enable him to move and get some cash Back in. Sales are key to keeping us going let’s get some cash in 

if we can more fine but all I see is 18k a week for someone who baring injuries will struggle to make the match squad and feature only in the cup and then go for free that’s madness 

IF were going with fletcher, ff, and joao with atty as back up, we ain't going up.

1 hour ago, dorian gray said:

IF were going with fletcher, ff, and joao with atty as back up, we ain't going up.

Never said we was that’s our current status from what I gather Bruce is concentrating on areas we have no one and vastly need to improve our wide we midfield and defence this is where we are short we saw Bruce’s intentions with the three wide players he brought in 

he now needs to replace the loan lads hector and get soneone else in the centre I think then he will look to improve the attack he won’t be wasting budget on that until the other areas are filled so to improve it he will sell and replace or go with what he’s got 

I fully expect if Bruce has it his way he will look to get at least two strikers out and one in and I only see with our current bunch fletcher being the possible keep 

Rhodes, attey, Joao, winnal and forestieri he would welcome bids for to improve this department 

3 hours ago, Lawrie Madden said:

Way to miss the point 

The poster said that Winnall is the only striker he’s seen who works his socks off and my rebuttal is that whatever you think of Atty as a player ( obviously you don’t rate him I get that ) the one thing he can’t be accused of is not working hard when he plays yet you miss that point and attack Atty, well done 

we need strikers who score bud check their strike rates,your right Nuhui is comitted but you need quality in the box,he aint got it 

2 hours ago, Lawrie Madden said:

a striker who can t hit a barn door is like a goalie who can't catch,give it up bud Nuhui,as commited as he is will never ,ever,get us promoted 

he needs a run of games he has been out for so long ,a few 20 min sub appearance aint exactly going to get him 100% match fit , I would have used him more towards the end of the season just purely to see if we want him for next season or sell him on either way it would be a winner. remember before his injury layoff he was the 4th highest scorer in the football league over the previous 2 seasons . id like to see if he could recapture that form. he needs what Rhodes needs players with pace running down the lines sending in low crosses what the likes of winnall and Rhodes thieve on or at least that's what they used to do. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

You say it's short-sighted, but once Chansiri unveils that Elev8 is merely a front for his secret gene-splicing programme, you'll see the fruits of his master plan.

We'll have a striker with the work-rate of Fletcher; the pace and technical ability of João; the link-up play of Hooper; the poaching instincts of Rhodes; the physical stature of Nuhiu...and the teeth of Matias.

And he’ll drive a two-seater D taxi

:Chansiri:

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, fpowl said:

Never said we was that’s our current status from what I gather Bruce is concentrating on areas we have no one and vastly need to improve our wide we midfield and defence this is where we are short we saw Bruce’s intentions with the three wide players he brought in 

he now needs to replace the loan lads hector and get soneone else in the centre I think then he will look to improve the attack he won’t be wasting budget on that until the other areas are filled so to improve it he will sell and replace or go with what he’s got 

I fully expect if Bruce has it his way he will look to get at least two strikers out and one in and I only see with our current bunch fletcher being the possible keep 

Rhodes, attey, Joao, winnal and forestieri he would welcome bids for to improve this department 

it depends upon the amount of movement in his squad, 'ideally' your bottom line would be true, but we just don't know the actual financial state of things.