Sam Winnall

6 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Partly true, and they did the same with big Leon. I say partly true, because Sharp is a little underestimated by most of us. He has always had good movement in and around the box, but he’s now added that ability to run the channels, and even drop deep to link play.

Rhodes has also always had good movement in and around the box. I’d like to see what Bruce can do with him. He’s younger than Sharp and there’s no reason why he can’t kickstart his career again. Similar to Rhodes, before his move back to United Sharp was farmed out on loan and struggled to recreate the form he showed whilst at Doncaster. 

However if we need to balance the books and if Norwich are willing to pay the money, we should cash in on Rhodes. 

2 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Rhodes has also always had good movement in and around the box. I’d like to see what Bruce can do with him. He’s younger than Sharp and there’s no reason why he can’t kickstart his career again. Similar to Rhodes, before his move back to United Sharp was farmed out on loan and struggled to recreate the form he showed whilst at Doncaster. 

However if we need to balance the books and if Norwich are willing to pay the money, we should cash in on Rhodes. 

I haven’t seen too many signs that Rhodes can adapt his game, but if he could, then who knows. Think probably Wilder is a more astute tactician than Bruce. Bruce has different strengths

19 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

I'd say Billy Sharp doesn't have that much ability. But United found a way of playing where he became one of the most dangerous strikers in the league. Sharp takes his chances, I bet Rhodes and Winnall would too with service and a sustained run in the team. 

With our pool of strikers I dont think Bruce is suddenly going to change the way we play to try to get the best out of Winnall.

1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

I haven’t seen too many signs that Rhodes can adapt his game, but if he could, then who knows. Think probably Wilder is a more astute tactician than Bruce. Bruce has different strengths

If the striker is good enough then you persist with them and let them adapt there game. Aguero perfect example.

Problem is Winnall and Rhodes ain't so would be surprised if Bruce even gives them the opportunity to honest.

4 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

With our pool of strikers I dont think Bruce is suddenly going to change the way we play to try to get the best out of Winnall.

I agree. Bruce didn’t play him and my bet is he’ll end up at Millwall or back at Barnsley. 

Sell Rhodes and Winnall though I think we lose two natural goal poachers. Hooper has gone too, so make that three. Fletcher has other strengths, FF isn’t an out and out striker and Joao is inconsistent. As for Nuhiu you know what you get with him.

If both Winnall and Rhodes leave I hope a goal scorer is towards the top of our priority list. 

1 minute ago, SallyCinnamon said:

I agree. Bruce didn’t play him and my bet is he’ll end up at Millwall or back at Barnsley. 

Sell Rhodes and Winnall though I think we lose two natural goal poachers. Hooper has gone too, so make that three. Fletcher has other strengths, FF isn’t an out and out striker and Joao is inconsistent. As for Nuhiu you know what you get with him.

If both Winnall and Rhodes leave I hope a goal scorer is towards the top of our priority list. 

But if Bruce doesn't play to there strengths whether they are goalscorers or not what is the point in keeping them.

2 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

How do you know Bruce isn’t going to play to their strengths? 

hasn't been interest in Winnall so far. If Rhodes stays he may give it a go with him but I think he will probably be gone.

The problem with adjusting our game to play to the strengths of Winnall and Rhodes, is that it will likely set us back as a team. 

Both of them can score goals, the stats tell us this, but when they were scoring goals regularly, it didn’t really do much for the teams they played for. There have been plenty of goal scorers who have made a career out of scoring consolation goals

1 hour ago, alanharper said:

Your exact words were "When he first joined he scored goals against Birmingham, Barnsley, Fulham and then got dropped and didn’t feature in the following games.".  Which clearly isn't true as there were more than 3 months between the Birmingham and Fulham games..

As I pointed out, those goals were spread over 3 months and 15 appearances. 2 of those 3 goals came in his last 3 games of the season including the final game when he came in because we played a virtual reserve team (when he was dropped we went on a 6 game winning streak). He scored 1 goal in his first 11 appearances, 8 of which were starts, and had a spell where he started 9 out of our 13 games so you can't say he wasn't given a chance. 

I don't know how to make it more obvious than that, really.

What isn’t true? That he was dropped in the following games.

if you’re being pedantic then after Birmingham he did start the next one (subbed). Didn’t play again for 2/3 games but had another run in the side and scored against Barnsley.  Dropped the following game and didn’t start again til fulham where he scored but barely featured in the playoffs with Rhodes preferred. Following season I think he was farmed our soon after his goal at qpr.

None of this is untrue. I have not suggested he scored every game if were being “exact”. But I don’t feel that some of his better performances earned him more of a run in the side. Probably because we have a vast number of strikers.

If you disagree that’s fair dos, but we have plenty of strikers who have failed to score week in week out but have kept their place. That is fairly obvious also.

I can see Sam and Adthe going if the right offers come in for them. Neither have been chosen too often to play for Bruce and if JR comes back too, we will have too many players playing for one or two team places, with maybe a second/third striker on the bench.

I would rather see us have three quality strikers each offering something a bit different that six or seven average to good players offering pretty much the same and Bruce has said that he wants a smaller squad.

Guest Ash76
1 hour ago, SallyCinnamon said:

I'd say Billy Sharp doesn't have that much ability. But United found a way of playing where he became one of the most dangerous strikers in the league. Sharp takes his chances, I bet Rhodes and Winnall would too with service and a sustained run in the team. 

Sharp is better with the ball than both, he’s faster than both, stronger than both and quicker footballing brain which leads to him sniffing out more chances

Put either of them in their side last season and they wouldn’t have had the same success imo 

5 hours ago, A12owl said:

How do you go out of your way not to do summat?

Easily. 

Have you never nipped to the loo just as the bill is arriving? I’ll teach you.

Any other questions?

1 hour ago, pazowl55 said:

If the striker is good enough then you persist with them and let them adapt there game. Aguero perfect example.

Problem is Winnall and Rhodes ain't so would be surprised if Bruce even gives them the opportunity to honest.

Nuhiu, we've persisted . . . . . . . . . . . errr

2 hours ago, gurujuan said:

Astute tactician.. I bet Pep and Klopp are bobbing it

2 hours ago, Ash76 said:

I wish people would stop looking at goals returns for strikers to determine their ability, it’s why you all wanted Rhodes and ultimately ended up disappointed.

Winnall’s goal record is OK but he can’t pass, control nor have the physical attributes to be a long term success at this level 

What exactly is the main point of strikers?

It’s scoring goals which he is good at & the recent stats show that he can do it in the championship. So when someone says he’s not good enough for the championship or cannot be a long term success at this level they are clearly wrong.

Is he a player that will score you the goals to get into the premiership? Maybe if you build around him but we can’t and won’t do that because it’s a big risk. And I doubt any so called big club would build around one player.

19 hours ago, Brando17 said:

far,far superior to Nuhui ffs look at the strike rates people who keep banging on about Nuhui will keep us in this division ..ffs go to a game !!!!

Way to miss the point 

The poster said that Winnall is the only striker he’s seen who works his socks off and my rebuttal is that whatever you think of Atty as a player ( obviously you don’t rate him I get that ) the one thing he can’t be accused of is not working hard when he plays yet you miss that point and attack Atty, well done 

18 hours ago, Bluesteel said:

When he first joined he scored goals against Birmingham, Barnsley, Fulham and then got dropped and didn’t feature in the following games. 

The following season in one of his sole appearances he scored against qpr and then ended up being touted around for a move. Been injured since then.

He moved off a good spell at Barnsley but hasn’t really been given a run whether he did well or not. Mainly due to how much Rhodes cost. 

Its suggested on here he is a difficult character though so perhaps there are other factors.

I don’t know his character but Jos aside why would the other managers not use a player that’s as good as you think Winnall is ?

It must be something in training that makes them not trust him