Sam Winnall

1 hour ago, Lawrie Madden said:

How has he had a raw deal ?

Surely he has make it impossible for the manager not to pick him the responsibility is his 

He certainly hasn't done anything i've seen to make me say wow we have to play him 

When he first joined he scored goals against Birmingham, Barnsley, Fulham and then got dropped and didn’t feature in the following games. 

The following season in one of his sole appearances he scored against qpr and then ended up being touted around for a move. Been injured since then.

He moved off a good spell at Barnsley but hasn’t really been given a run whether he did well or not. Mainly due to how much Rhodes cost. 

Its suggested on here he is a difficult character though so perhaps there are other factors.

1 hour ago, prowl said:

He's a decent player for a lower end championship team. If nothing else he's a trier and gives 100%.

Not an easy guy to like if the rumours are accurate.

Yeah I’ve heard a few stories myself

1 hour ago, Lawrie Madden said:

Well watch more games 

No matter what you think of Atty he grafts his nuts off when he gets on 

Fletchers game, sometimes to the detriment of scoring imo, is all work rate 

I find it incredible the number of times ours fans can't make a case for a player without feeling the need to denigrate another of our players 

Winnall needs to earn his shot i haven't seen anything from him when he's been called on that makes me want him in front of anyone and it would seem sensible that he hasn't shown enough in training to force his way in front of any other player either .

Must be every fickin' topic.

37 minutes ago, The Dukeries Owl said:

Thinks a lot more of himself than most good judges of personality and talent do.

Runs around a bit.

He ran around a lot when he scored at Oakwell. He ran to the Barnsley fans, even when he scored for us.

Needs to go. Needs to grow up.

Hopefully we'll get our money back.

In the few times I’ve seen him he’s looked very ordinary.

Tough, works hard and prepared to put his head where it hurts.

But hasn’t got the pace of Joa, the skill of Forestieri, the physicality of Fletcher or the strength of Nuhiu.

Be nice to be proved wrong but don’t really see a future for him at Hillsborough.

6 minutes ago, Blatter said:

In the few times I’ve seen him he’s looked very ordinary.

Tough, works hard and prepared to put his head where it hurts.

But hasn’t got the pace of Joa, the skill of Forestieri, the physicality of Fletcher or the strength of Nuhiu.

Be nice to be proved wrong but don’t really see a future for him at Hillsborough.

His attributes are better suited to league one

Guest wilyfox
5 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

His attributes are better suited to league one

You say that, but Winnall scored goals for Barnsley & Derby in the championship. Personally, if Bruce wants to play a high press, I think Fletch, FF, and Winnall are better suited than Rhodes, Nuhiu, or Joao. I know people don't expect striker signings because we have so many, but I think there needs to be ins & outs in that area. 

Edited by wilyfox

As others have said if Bruce fancied him he'd have used him more. He doesn't really fit into how Bruce's teams tend to play. Reminds me of Scott Hogan who Bruce had at Villa and didn't really use. If we can get a decent fee, let him go.

1 hour ago, gurujuan said:

It was pretty obvious he wasn’t good enough at this level Anybody who actually took the trouble to watch him, could see he didn’t have the basic skills Makes you wonder what our scouts actually know about football, that January window was an absolute farce

Pretty ridiculous comment to say he isn’t good enough at this level.

Since he started playing in the championship he has scored 21 goals in 63 appearances.  Out of those 63 appearances, 25 were as a sub.

So at worst it’s 1 goal every 3 games, it’s a decent return & shows he is good enough. He’s a goalscorer & showed at Barnsley if he is your focal point upfront he will score. But we don’t play to that system. 

In comparison:

Joao has scored 28 goals in 127 appearances (67 were as a sub) so 1 goal every 4.5 games

Fletcher 24 in 99 (30 as sub) so 1 goal every 4.1 games

Forestieri 38 in 111 (25 as sub) so 1 goal every 2.9 games

Nuhiu 34 in 208 (100 as sub) so 1 goal in every 6.1 games

Hooper 30 in 85 (17 as sub) so 1 goal in every 2.8 games

4 minutes ago, 19owl08 said:

Pretty ridiculous comment to say he isn’t good enough at this level.

Since he started playing in the championship he has scored 21 goals in 63 appearances.  Out of those 63 appearances, 25 were as a sub.

So at worst it’s 1 goal every 3 games, it’s a decent return & shows he is good enough. He’s a goalscorer & showed at Barnsley if he is your focal point upfront he will score. But we don’t play to that system. 

In comparison:

Joao has scored 28 goals in 127 appearances (67 were as a sub) so 1 goal every 4.5 games

Fletcher 24 in 99 (30 as sub) so 1 goal every 4.1 games

Forestieri 38 in 111 (25 as sub) so 1 goal every 2.9 games

Nuhiu 34 in 208 (100 as sub) so 1 goal in every 6.1 games

Hooper 30 in 85 (17 as sub) so 1 goal in every 2.8 games

Well we’ll see where he ends up, he doesn’t look like a championship footballer to me