Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Not for me...........good player 10 years ago, but even then i thought he was overrated and could never understand how he got as many England caps as he did.

Edited by sheriwozgod
  • Agree 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


7 minutes ago, sheriwozgod said:

Not for me...........good player 10 years ago, but even then i thought he was overrated and could never understand how he got as many England caps as he did.

This......although thinking back, we did have a dearth of left sided players back then

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

This......although thinking back, we did have a dearth of left sided players back then

 

Yeah , i agree......... but when you consider all that money that Sven was on and he never managed to fathom that a squad that was blessed with a host of class centre backs and midfielders would be best served playing  3 - 5 - 2.

Instead he insisted on shoehorning players on to the left wing........this is what we could have had in the early 2000,s

 

Seaman

Campbell  Ferdinand  King

Beckham Gerrard  Scholes  Lampard  Cole

Rooney  Owen

With the likes of Terry, J. Cole , G. Neville , Fowler etc on the bench

Edited by sheriwozgod

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, dorian gray said:

it's true, as are many things about life, perhaps it's you who should 'look at thisen', i'm accepting life's limitations and moving on with them.

I'm messing pal. Referring to your username and the irony in your post. Thought you at least would get that!!!

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

.....or am I being whooshed.  You do understand the reference to looking at thisen don't you?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, sheriwozgod said:

 

Yeah , i agree......... but when you consider all that money that Sven was on and he never managed to fathom that a squad that was blessed with a host of class centre backs and midfielders would be best served playing  3 - 5 - 2.

Instead he insisted on shoehorning players on to the left wing........this is what we could have had in the early 2000,s

 

Seaman

Campbell  Ferdinand  King

Beckham Gerrard  Scholes  Lampard  Cole

Rooney  Owen

With the likes of Terry, J. Cole , G. Neville , Fowler etc on the bench

Beckham at wing back...ha ha ha! I know he started in that position for England but after a couple of years he became a different player. Very poor defensively. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

Beckham at wing back...ha ha ha! I know he started in that position for England but after a couple of years he became a different player. Very poor defensively. 

 

yeah.....no problem ha ha ha...…………………...not the quickest but stamina to burn and peerless crossing ability.

 

Could easily play Neville there against the better sides and move Beckham inside to the central three to utilise his brilliant passing range.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, sheriwozgod said:

 

yeah.....no problem ha ha ha...…………………...not the quickest but stamina to burn and peerless crossing ability.

 

Could easily play Neville there against the better sides and move Beckham inside to the central three to utilise his brilliant passing range.

Now I can see where you are coming from. Has to play inside for me though. Also loved how your formation was formatted. Looked like Ashley Cole was playing in the number 10 role!! :ghoulguy:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In purely footballing terms (putting the financial element to one side) this might not be a bad signing as long as we're not relying on Downing to be a regular starter.

 

He's offer vast experience at this level and seems to be a good pro (international, played at some huge clubs). He also has superb vision and delivery which could be very useful later in a game when the opposotion are perhaps a bit leggy. 

 

He could do a similar job to the one Tricky Trev did for us at the tail end of his playing career.

.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 31/05/2019 at 18:49, dorian gray said:

yeah! he was, and 'one swallow does not a summer make', how many 100m Olympic gold medallists are 'usually' 32 or over, and how many are younger?

professional sport is a younger man's game, if anyone older is still in there he's racing against time.

downing is too old at 35, we've had them before with sedgewick being called by some on here 'concrete legs', we need 

'greedy, FAST, ENERGETIC, and skilful men', NOT THE DROSS WE'VE HAD TO SUFFERIN THE PAST.

you can come up with foreman fought at 50, ali at nigh on 40, and god knows how many others, but the truth is their best days are WELL BEHIND THEM, and the future IS for YOUNGER MEN.

You need a sprinkling of experience in the squad though too. 

 

I know we have Fletch and Westwood but Downing has had a superior career.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, RUMBELOWS91 said:

You need a sprinkling of experience in the squad though too. 

 

I know we have Fletch and Westwood but Downing has had a superior career.

The key there is had. Agree you need a sprinkling of experience, but we have that in Westwood, Palmer, Lees, Hutchinson, Bannan, Lee, Fletcher and Forestieri. The average age of the side is pushing 29, its young legs we need, and plenty of them

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, RUMBELOWS91 said:

You need a sprinkling of experience in the squad though too. 

 

I know we have Fletch and Westwood but Downing has had a superior career.

HAD is the telling word.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd take Mark Pugh over Downing for an experienced left winger available on a free transfer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Blackburn have confirmed they are interested in signing Downing (Sky)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Shetland Owl said:

Blackburn have confirmed they are interested in signing Downing (Sky)

I’ll offer to carry him there (probably need to)

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, gurujuan said:

I’ll offer to carry him there (probably need to)

shame, he was fancying a sarf stand season ticket at his age.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Shetland Owl said:

Blackburn have confirmed they are interested in signing Downing (Sky)

suit blackburn, no real challenge in them, looking to add 'a name' to keep the fans interested in buying season tickets (if possible), both him and them going nowhere much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 02/06/2019 at 22:22, RUMBELOWS91 said:

In purely footballing terms (putting the financial element to one side) this might not be a bad signing as long as we're not relying on Downing to be a regular starter.

 

He's offer vast experience at this level and seems to be a good pro (international, played at some huge clubs). He also has superb vision and delivery which could be very useful later in a game when the opposotion are perhaps a bit leggy. 

 

He could do a similar job to the one Tricky Trev did for us at the tail end of his playing career.

.

If he offers vast experience then why have they let him go..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, TINKERBELL said:

If he offers vast experience then why have they let him go..

Perhaps they're well  covered in his position  and there's very little prospaxr of him getting much football?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, TINKERBELL said:

If he offers vast experience then why have they let him go..

 

Maybe he didn’t want to stay.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...