Bannan - The "Grealish Role"

It's been a long-standing, constant debate on here over the last two or three years...how do we get the best out of Bannan? Since he arrived here, he's played wide left, and in central midfield as part of a two-man partnership in 4-4-2, a three man midfield in a 5-3-2 or in a double-pivot in a 4-2-3-1 system. But despite him producing consistently good performances, there's always been a feeling that there's still more to come from him...

And I couldn't help but think, after watching the Playoff final yesterday, that the system Dean Smith has employed over the past three months at Villa, could well hold some advantage to ourselves and the quest to make Bannan so much more effective.

Villa's midfield is a fairly simple, 1-2 triangle in a 4-3-3 system. With one player holding at the base, and two more advanced midfielders given licence to go and support the three forward players.

At the base, Hourihane is brilliant. Despite perhaps not been known for his defensive work, his anticipation and ability to break up attacks is key. Added to that, he's calm and composed on the ball and likes to set things up from deep, by keeping things fairly simple. 

Ahead of Hourihane, Smith has the fortune of having two of the best midfielders in the division. The first, McGinn, a player Steve Bruce managed to bring to the club for a bargain £2.5m less than 12 months ago. For me, there aren't any better traditional box-to-box midfielders than McGinn in the Championship. I would love to see his running stats for this season, but he must be up there. He's constantly looking to make runs beyond the midfield into the half space, but he's also always in the right place defensively. 

And the final, most crucial part of the jigsaw, Jack Grealish. I can't say I like him...but he's a fantastic, technical player. In the past, a lot of the issues we have seen with Bannan, Grealish was also labelled with. Villa just couldn't seem to find a position for him. He's played out wide in 4-4-2 systems and as a No. 10 in 4-2-3-1 systems. Neither brought the best out of him. He's also been accused of dropping deep too often, as he looks to get involved in play and dictate things from deep. Sound familiar?

However, in this system, he's able to affect things in dangerous areas. He doesn't rely on others having to get him into the game, like he would playing as a No. 10 or out wide. But neither does he need to drop deep to dictate things, because Hourihane is already there doing exactly that. 

Grealish and Bannan have very similar playing styles. Both are exceptionally technical...good enough to play at the highest level. Both have the ability to see the game and paint pictures. Both have a deceptively quick turn of pace, and are able to glide past opponents effortlessly. And both have an eye for a cute, clever pass in dangerous areas. If either of them see enough of the ball in dangerous areas, they'll both cause opposition defences a real headache. 

So how realistic is it for ourselves, to be able to replicate that midfield triumvirate?

It might be closer than you think? Although the summer transfer window has only just re-opened, we've already been linked, quite seriously, with two midfielders. One Sam Morsy. The other Josh Onomah. Now, both of those would occupy the other two roles in that midfield very nicely. Morsy, like Hourihane, is a sitter. He breaks things up and looks to keep things simple. He might not be quite as easy on the eye, nor possess the set piece and long range attributes Hourihane has, but he'd certainly provide a very solid option at the base of the triangle. We've also got a nice added bonus of having Sam Hutchinson as a fantastic rotational option for Morsy. Much like Villa have with Glenn Whelan. 

Secondly, Josh Onomah. Although we've yet to see the best of Onomah yet, he's certainly a player who would class himself as a box-to-box midfielder. He has the dynamism and power to be able to play that role. I'm pretty sure when Villa signed McGinn, those fans wouldn't have expected him to become the player he has. Onomah has the skill set to provide the necessary attributes to the midfield. And let's not forget, we've also got a certain Kieran Lee potentially back in our squad next season...a player who three seasons ago was one of the Championship's best all-round box-to-box midfielders. 

For me, we've spent too long trying to build a system around a certain player (often Forestieri) or trying to shoe-horn our best players into a system. But we've neglected our most naturally gifted player. Bannan has been a constant in our side for three seasons...but I've never felt his role has been given the necessary detail that was required. Because he works hard, and can perform an all round game, we've tended to just expect him to do that. I personally think we've missed a trick. Let's try and build the side around him. He's a player who has never let the club down, and very rarely misses games through injury. He's dependable...but he should be so much more than just that.

--------------Morsy/Hutchinson------------

-------Onomah/Lee------Bannan----------

Joao----------------------------------Reach

-----------------Fletcher---------------------

Going with that, it'll allow us to shed the likes of Forestieri and Rhodes. Two players we've tried to change systems and style of play for, and two players we've yet to see any consistency from. By getting rid of those two, it might allow us to upgrade the striker option, to a more dynamic striker who's more capable of playing the lone forward role than Fletcher. That side...with Joao and Reach supporting close to Fletcher, and the two midfielders running beyond, Fletcher would still be a more than adequate option. 

• Like 9

Interesting, though I see Bannan as someone who keeps things ticking over in the middle of the park, rather than the more dynamic surging forward player Grealish is. He is wasted at the base of the midfield, and does need to play further forward, but maybe not as an attacking midfielder

Just now, gurujuan said:

Interesting, though I see Bannan as someone who keeps things ticking over in the middle of the park, rather than the more dynamic surging forward player Grealish is. He is wasted at the base of the midfield, and does need to play further forward, but maybe not as an attacking midfielder

Yeah, and that's the exact point of the post. 

Grealish has previously been played as an "attacking midfielder" in a number 10 role, and they've struggled to get the best out of him.

The role he's been playing for the past three months, is as a playmaker in a more general midfield position. It allows him to be neither too deep, nor does it isolate him from the rest of the midfield. 

There are so many parallel's between Bannan and Grealish. Smtih has managed to create a system, built around Grealish, which gets the best out of him. Since he's returned from injury and played in this role, he's played in 13 games, and Villa have won 11, drew two. He's got four goals, and four assists. 

Bannan naturally seems drawn to drop in to  deep positions. I can see your point although I do think he might be better playing in the middle of a 3 with someone behind be it Hutch or another. I would be a bit worried our full backs might get exposed with your system.

As sure as eggs are eggs, someone will use the summer transfer window to highlight how Bannan would be much more effective further forward, despite not really ever playing there in his 8 year career as a professional footballer.

The disparity between what some fans want him to do and what he can actually do are two very different things. He is nothing like Grealish in his playing style nor his finishing. Bannan likes to sit deep and spray passes and be part of the second wave of attack rather than the initial thrust, that's his style, it's always been his style, and I've seen nothing in 3 years to suggest it never won't be his style. Grealish is someone who attacks in the first wave but from deep (and can finish). Very different players, let's not pretend Bannan's something he isn't and let's appreciate him for the talent he does have. Round pegs and round holes and all that

• Like 4

I would love to see us playing a three like Villa do. The Villa duo are both very good at running with the ball and taking people on and most importantly get involved in physical challenges, McGinn relishes it , Grealish not so much but for all his diving he is strong.

They drive Villa forward something Bannan seldom does. He is exceptional on the ball , a great passer but doesn’t drive us forward. He doesn’t take the risks required to do that. His ability is passing, not running past people and he is always looking to either simply retain possession or the wonder ball which he is capable of making.

However the biggest difference is if you close the Villa pair down they will continue to take you on and try and get forward. Bannan will drop deeper and deeper until he finds space even if it is at the side of the centre half.

How many times do the Villa pair get fouled in a game, a lot because they commit the opposition. 

Bannan  doesn’t get fouled much at all.

I agree we get more from bannan when he is further forward and when we allow yin to concentrate on his strengths rather than being the all round midfielder. But he’s a different player to Grealish who relies on his ability to beat a man a great deal more. Bannan can do it but his thing is passing and trying to dictate the tempo of a game. 

So just a very long winded way of saying we need to play with an enforcer, a creator & a runner in a midfield three. I think that’s been a common rhetoric on here over the past few months tbh. I would also disagree with that front 3 also, we need more mobility, consistency & goalscoring ability than Fletch & Joao.

Good post. Although I disagree with some things, I 100% agree we could get more from Bannan by playing him further forward. Particularly left side in a 3 man midfield. 

1 hour ago, frastheowl said:

However, in this system, he's able to affect things in dangerous areas. He doesn't rely on others having to get him into the game, like he would playing as a No. 10 or out wide. But neither does he need to drop deep to dictate things, because Hourihane is already there doing exactly that

You nailed it here. 

I think people forget how good Bannan can be when he runs with the ball at his feet, when he’s full of confidence.  Darts into little areas, can twist and turn, and pick passes out that nobody else in our side can see. 

Always feel maybe he lacks a bit of confidence in himself tbh, and that could be the reason he seems to prefer the easier, deeper role. Collecting the ball in plenty of space. 

1 hour ago, Yellowbelly said:

So just a very long winded way of saying we need to play with an enforcer, a creator & a runner in a midfield three. I think that’s been a common rhetoric on here over the past few months tbh. I would also disagree with that front 3 also, we need more mobility, consistency & goalscoring ability than Fletch & Joao.

Long winded yes. But he did introduce us to 2 footballing terms never heard before, the "double-pivot" and my personal favourite "false space" so not entirely a waste of time. WTF:

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, Brommers said:

Long winded yes. But he did introduce us to 2 footballing terms never heard before, the "double-pivot" and my personal favourite "false space" so not entirely a waste of time. WTF:

Bannan does alot of double pivoting all the time. Another way of saying it is frivolous Cruyff turn.

:Sid:

• Haha 1