Championship odds 2019/20

Not sure I’d make WBA favourites at this time, as they have no manager and goal scorer Gayle has returned to his parent club.  

Im happy we are 9th favourites, as it means people aren’t putting any pressure or expectations on us. And I think they are wrong as Bruce with money to spend in this league usually assembles a play off squad or better. Fact 

So difficult to predict before the season starts and still tricky even when it's nearer to starting. Got the makings of another wide open season?

Experienced managers should help a few teams but think there could be a few dark-horses/unfancied sides up there too. Consistency and a decent start and a less shambolic pre-season are crucial for us. Bruce's experience should help us be more solid and consistent. A decent start and we'll give a push towards the automatics but if we're playing catch up again, then we'll finish in or around the play-offs. My early guess is we'll make the play-offs and lose in them but then go up in the top 2 places in Bruce's 2nd full season. But who knows with the gruelling unpredictably slog-fest of a competitive marathon-esque Championship.

Early predictions: 

Middlesbrough - Champions and Bristol City - Runners-Up,

Cardiff City; Sheffield Wednesday, Brentford and West Brom - Play Offs

Derby, Leeds and PNE to be up and around there but to miss out.

West Brom to win the play offs.

Terribly hard to predict. Will revise my predictions nearer to the start of the season but knowing the Championship in recent years, I'll probably be way off the mark, once again. lol

15 minutes ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

What about Prem predictions, in particular relegation lol

1 minute ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Brighton, Bournemouth and Norwich.

Norwich and Villa to survive, out of the newcomers.

The Pigs to come straight back down, along with Brighton and Southampton?

At this early stage in the summer I would probably go with the following out of the bookies favourites.

Leeds - If they keep Bielsa and they sign some decent players they will win the league comfortably. If they don’t sign anyone then Bielsa will be off and they’ll struggle to make play offs. 

Huudersfield - Fancy them to finish nearer the bottom than the top. Weak squad and manager doesn’t seem up to much.

Boro - Depends who make the gaffer and who they sign. On current squad will struggle to make play offs as it’s to defensive. 

Stoke - Can see they finishing mid table, manager very defensive and can see them losing some of their better players.

Cardiff - Will be up there just because of the Colin factor, expect them to make a few good signings too.

Owls - Not being biased but I think we will be right up there (and I am very negative). A bit like Colin, Bruce knows exactly what he is doing. Worked wonders while he has been here and can only see us improving now the dead wood is going and he can bring in his own players.  Top 4.

Fulham - Good squad and Parker got them results towards the end of the season. Will have plenty of  money to spend I reckon and will be up there. Top 2.

Edited by northeastowl

1 hour ago, northeastowl said:

At this early stage in the summer I would probably go with the following out of the bookies favourites.

Leeds - If they keep Bielsa and they sign some decent players they will win the league comfortably. If they don’t sign anyone then Bielsa will be off and they’ll struggle to make play offs. 

Huudersfield - Fancy them to finish nearer the bottom than the top. Weak squad and manager doesn’t seem up to much.

Boro - Depends who make the gaffer and who they sign. On current squad will struggle to make play offs as it’s to defensive. 

Stoke - Can see they finishing mid table, manager very defensive and can see them losing some of their better players.

Cardiff - Will be up there just because of the Colin factor, expect them to make a few good signings too.

Owls - Not being biased but I think we will be right up there (and I am very negative). A bit like Colin, Bruce knows exactly what he is doing. Worked wonders while he has been here and can only see us improving now the dead wood is going and he can bring in his own players.  Top 4.

Fulham - Good squad and Parker got them results towards the end of the season. Will have plenty of  money to spend I reckon and will be up there. Top 2.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48383582

bugger................................................[seems to know what he's doing]

15 hours ago, RUMBELOWS91 said:

Leeds and Fulham joint favourites 5/2

WBA 3/1

Hudds, Cardiff, Stoke 7/2

Boro, Owls 9/2

Brentford, Swansea 6/1

Forest 7/1

Early days before any transfer activity but looks an open league, no real clear favourites.

Surprised how short Stoke are. I would probably make WBA favourites.

I make Leeds & Cardiff Favorites.

I don't think Fulham will be as strong as they were a couple of years ago. They managed to spend more than their entire PL income on new players who haven't really improved them (that's before even paying them) so if they can't offload most of them they'll be struggling even with the parachute payments. Cardiff will be strong, a typical Warnock team with no standout individuals but they'll be tough to beat. Huddersfield, like Fulham, are coming back with a hugely inflated wage bill so the parachute payments won't be going on transfer fees.

There's always that one team who come from nowhere to get promoted (why is it never us?!) Stoke could be those dark horses, they've been utterly mediocre this season but they have a squad that could be right up there if they click. They may need to get an experienced manager first though to make it happen.

Boro should be up there again if they get a decent manager, but we know that the paragon of virtue Steve Gibson won't spend a penny more than they earn, and Derby even losing their two star loanees shoud be strong again now that they've eased their FFP issues and will be able to spend.

Fulham will most likely lose Mitrovic to a Premier League team. Might gamble and continue to splash the cash but I think they are in trouble. Not as much trouble as Huddersfield who are completely bereft and will probably sack Martin from Wakefield soon enough.

Surprised Swansea are even in the odds - a Chairman who is asset-stripping and their manager has just left. Unless he's about to be replaced by Pep then bottom half beckons.

16 hours ago, RUMBELOWS91 said:

WBA 3/1

Boro, Owls 9/2

Brentford, Swansea 6/1

Forest 7/1

Early days before any transfer activity but looks an open league, no real clear favourites.

I got 16/1 for us to win it. 

16 hours ago, RUMBELOWS91 said:

WBA 3/1

Boro, Owls 9/2

Brentford, Swansea 6/1

Forest 7/1

Shocking book that 8 teams under 5/1. Wide open league favourites should be 5/1 minimum. Think I will be looking for 14/1 to back the Owls e/w £5. Never back big on us.

Leeds and Fulham being joint favourites seems a bit of a stretch for me. I think Bielsa will be gone by Xmas (burnout and the history of Leeds), Scott parker seems nice but a bit of a stretch to say he will automatically turn Fulham around. A lot of those Fulham players will be abandoning ship this summer, hard to turn it around immediately when that happens, Ask Stoke, Villa, West Brom, Swansea, Sunderland, Hull. Immediate return is hard. I think Brentford are building and i rate Jones at Stoke, but too early to pick solidly. Come 1st August if we have had a good summer we have every chance. 

1 hour ago, tarn owl said:

Leeds and Fulham being joint favourites seems a bit of a stretch for me. I think Bielsa will be gone by Xmas (burnout and the history of Leeds), Scott parker seems nice but a bit of a stretch to say he will automatically turn Fulham around. A lot of those Fulham players will be abandoning ship this summer, hard to turn it around immediately when that happens, Ask Stoke, Villa, West Brom, Swansea, Sunderland, Hull. Immediate return is hard. I think Brentford are building and i rate Jones at Stoke, but too early to pick solidly. Come 1st August if we have had a good summer we have every chance. 

You are right with the burnout comment on Leeds. Bielsa teams have a record of major changes 2nd season as many struggle to get over fatigue from the previous season. Will be very interesting to see how Leeds cope next year. Showed signs of fatigue I thought at end of this season.